Official Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Official Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chancing Hope" by Lisa Slater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater is a romance novel about Kerwyn Bartel and Mable Conner who are longtime childhood best friends. Kerwyn is a talented horse trainer. When he was young, an extremely respected rancher had put him in charge of checking the small section of his pasture. A tiny piece of this land branched out right between Kerwyn's father's small parcel and a tiny yellow house just on the outskirts of town. Mable Conner was nine when she and her mama had moved into that yellow house. Since then, Kerwyn assumed the duty of checking on both her and her mama regularly.

As a boy, Kerwyn had become Mable's closest and most trusted friend. He was her role model, playmate, and protector, all in one. When he began developing into a man, she found him alluring and soon realized that she has romantic feelings for him. Kerwyn felt the same towards Mable, but believed that he should set her free once she decides to leave and pursue her dream to become a singer. Determined to not hold her back, he kept his feelings to himself.

When mysterious, loner Devin Hill began interfering, things had changed drastically. These changes they encounter might not be what either of them had expected.

I had a hard time putting this book down. This romance novel is not just a typical love story of best friends who fall in love with each other. It's so much more than that.

Let me start with the characters. I fell in love with Kerwyn and Mable. Their characters were rich and colorful, their relationship poignant. I liked Kerwyn from the very beginning. He was a responsible son and took his job very seriously even at a young age. He was an old soul and very protective of Mable. He was as beautiful as he was stubborn when it comes to confessing his feelings for his best friend.

I had fond feelings for Mable. She was adorably funny when she was still very young. She was a loving daughter. Becoming a woman, she's a feminine beauty with a powerful singing voice. I could totally relate with her affection for animals. She was as beautiful as she was annoyingly silly.

Devin Hill was one of the most memorable characters in this novel. Aside from his inexplicable character, he was the one who caused the drastic change in Kerwyn and Mable's relationship. I wish the author expounded more on his past. As miscreant as his character was, he was curiously interesting. There are other characters in the book who were also enthralling. There are interesting subplots centered on these characters. I think the author did an incredible job of making the characters real and relatable.

I also had fun reading about the different breeds of horses mentioned in this story. I enjoyed learning a thing or two about their abilities. I dreamed of having a ranch so I found the story's setting really fascinating.

There are also quotable phrases and notions that could be applied in real life, like "having fun is just as important as working". For me, a good writing contains remarkable lines that make reader stop and ponder the words, their meaning and intent. I found many great phrases and life lessons in this book.

All in all, Chancing Hope was a much deeper read than I originally expected. I was pulled in from the first page and immersed in Kerwyn and Mable's world. While the book is mainly a romance, there were unpredictable suspenseful events to keep the readers engaged until the very end. I've thought about the characters long since I finished reading. They are so real that a reader believes their lives continue long after the last page.

There are a few minor typographical errors. Nonetheless, they are very unnoticeable.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I was engrossed from the first page until the last. The plot and the characters are remarkable. The whole story is bittersweetly satisfying, but at the same time, will make you crave for more. I recommend this book to those who are looking for a coming of age, heartfelt novel with emotional twists.

Chancing Hope
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Riszell's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like an entertaining read, especially for those with a fondness for horses. It’s great when a romance has some depth to it in addition to memorable characters. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Riszell

Post by Riszell »

stacie k wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 00:18 This sounds like an entertaining read, especially for those with a fondness for horses. It’s great when a romance has some depth to it in addition to memorable characters. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for taking the time to comment on my review!
:tiphat:
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Chancing Hope sounds like a charming story. The characters sound very adventurous, especially that "miscreant" (as you put it), Devin. Good job on the review.
Riszell

Post by Riszell »

KristyKhem wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 09:03 Chancing Hope sounds like a charming story. The characters sound very adventurous, especially that "miscreant" (as you put it), Devin. Good job on the review.
Thank you. :tiphat:
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Kerwyn character sounds very charming and one that should be emulated by men in general. Thank you for a lovely review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

All in all, Chancing Hope was a much deeper read than I originally expected. I was pulled in from the first page and immersed in Kerwyn and Mable's world. While the book is mainly a romance, there were unpredictable suspenseful events to keep the readers engaged until the very end. I've thought about the characters long since I finished reading. They are so real that a reader believes their lives continue long after the last page.
When I have this type of emotional connection to the characters, it makes me seek out other books by the same author. Excellent review!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I love reading romantic novels, but I always find it difficult to like the female character, because writers tend to make them silly or overpowered sometimes. Thus, it's very hard for me to like them and see myself in them. I'm very pleased to see that you read a book with well-developed characters and now I can't wait to read it! Thank you very much for your review!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Loved your review. This sounds like something that I would read. I like reading books that take place on farms or ranches and so on. The characters sound so life like, hard to believe that they only exist on a page.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Great review! Certainly makes me want to read this book. The characters sound relatable and lifelike!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Romance with depth, those are the books that hold my attention. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I'm not a romance novel reader but sounds like a great story. Not sure I'll add it to my list but I appreciate the review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

This story sounds as sweet as a pie. I love stories about childhood friends who become sweethearts. Maybe because I think the base of a good romantic relationship is friendship and companionship. I'd like to know how these two characters, Kerwyn and Mable, fell in love and whether Mable gets to achieve her dream of becoming a singer or not. I'll put this one on my reading list. Thanks for this sweet review!
Norman45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Norman45 »

This sounds like one of those stories with an unpredictable storyline. The setting you describe makes me want to get it at the next chance. Hmmm, horses and love
Thanks for the review
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Devin Hill sounds like a captivating character I'd love to know more about him.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”