Official Review: Cobwebs of Youth by Rose Auburn

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Cobwebs of Youth by Rose Auburn

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cobwebs of Youth" by Rose Auburn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rose Auburn’s contemporary novel Cobwebs of Youth is a beautifully written coming-of-age romance that spans ten years in the life of Lara Cassidy, set in the charming suburbs of London.

The story begins on Lara’s eighteenth birthday. She is shattered after learning that her father whom she has always put on a pedestal has remarried just six weeks after divorcing her mother. When Lara realizes he intends to celebrate her birthday with his young French wife, she is outraged and leaves, vowing never to see him again. Little did she realize, it would be the last time she saw her father alive.

Later the same night while Lara is at a pub drowning her sorrows with her friend Jen, she meets a mysterious older man to whom she feels an attraction. When she asks him to buy her a drink, he realizes she is already intoxicated and offers her a glass of water instead. Insulted that his response to her flirtations is more protective than romantic, Lara is embarrassed and in her vulnerable state, also insulted. Even so, she is intrigued. Not knowing his name, she mentally nicknames him Bikerman because of the leather motorcycle jacket he wears.

Ten years later after her father dies, Lara inherits his house and is living there and working as a children’s book illustrator. She is in a relationship with Ed, a successful attorney who is more often than not, distracted by his work. Though her mother and friends insist Ed is right for her, Lara grows increasingly discontent with the relationship. Her thoughts frequently drift back in time to the intriguing stranger she met all those years ago. She finally ends the relationship with Ed and during a night out with friends, returns to the pub where she originally met Bikerman. Once again, their paths cross. This time they are properly introduced and she learns his name is Rob. They begin spending time together and a relationship like none Lara has ever known develops.

When it comes to romantic novels, I rarely feel compelled to binge-read. However, once I picked up this book, I could barely put it down. Auburn’s characters are refreshingly relatable. The dialogue-driven content was so realistic, that I often felt I was listening to Lara’s conversation with her friends in the same room rather than reading a book. I also particularly enjoyed watching Lara’s confidence grow as she blossomed in both her professional and personal life. That’s not to say that once she met Rob that everything fell into place. As Lara stepped out of her comfort zone to embrace changes that evolved from her new romance, her friendship with Jen became strained. The conflicts that she faced with her mother, friends, and the men in her life were realistically portrayed. I also found her struggle with unresolved father issues after his death stirring and quite believable. Auburn kept the story engaging by skillfully balancing Lara’s passion for her career with her relationships and her own self-discovery.

I noted several grammatical errors but I honestly cannot provide an example of anything that detracted from my reading pleasure. I wholeheartedly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who appreciate empowering coming-of-age stories featuring strong female characters, as well as fans of romantic novels. As intimate scenes are seductive but not explicit, and I didn’t notice any instances of profanity, it may also appeal to a young adult/teen audience. This book probably isn’t for fans of racy romance novels or erotica.

Cobwebs of Youth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

This book sounds so intriguing! Although, breaking up with Ed because of she couldn't get past the thoughts of a stranger she only met once, seems unrealistic. But the story as a whole is compelling.Thank you for your review.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

This review was intriguing and easy to understand. It made me want to read the book even more.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for a detailed summary. I was 100% hooked up and I would love to know what happened next. Hope I get a chance to read it. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Fuzaila wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 02:52 This book sounds so intriguing! Although, breaking up with Ed because of she couldn't get past the thoughts of a stranger she only met once, seems unrealistic. But the story as a whole is compelling.Thank you for your review.
My impression was that she had been unhappy with Ed for other reasons detailed in the plot. Thank you for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kelvinmwaniki17 wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 04:16 This review was intriguing and easy to understand. It made me want to read the book even more.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 06:33 Thank you for a detailed summary. I was 100% hooked up and I would love to know what happened next. Hope I get a chance to read it. Thank you for your review!
Thank you, Sahani. I hope you enjoy it!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Thank you for your review of this book. It has already captivated my attention, therefore, I will add to shelf later.
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

It seems such an interesting story. I love the books where the main character is strong enough to face the struggles. And I'm happy Lara found the man of her life.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I love realistic dialogue. I've found with a lot of the books I've been reading lately that the dialogue is just weird. When you can't picture people talking to each other in real life, it makes the read strained.
This is a great review, thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

crediblereading2 wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 11:10 Thank you for your review of this book. It has already captivated my attention, therefore, I will add to shelf later.
Thanks for reading my review and for your comment. Enjoy the book!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jonida wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 11:39 It seems such an interesting story. I love the books where the main character is strong enough to face the struggles. And I'm happy Lara found the man of her life.
I agree. Thanks for your comment!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 12:58 I love realistic dialogue. I've found with a lot of the books I've been reading lately that the dialogue is just weird. When you can't picture people talking to each other in real life, it makes the read strained.
This is a great review, thanks so much!
I agree with your thoughts on realistic dialogue, Bianka which is one of the reasons I loved this book so much. Thank you for your encouraging comment!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds a bit more complicated than just a typical romance. The characters and relationships sound complex and fascinating. Thanks for a great review, but this just isn't my genre.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Sounds like my kind of read. The book grabbed my attention, and I already added it to my shelf. Thanks for the nice review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”