Official Review: Oasis of love by Sizwe Khumalo

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Oasis of love by Sizwe Khumalo

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Oasis of love" by Sizwe Khumalo.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Oasis of Love by Sizwe Khumalo follows the trials of married couple Donna and Sheriff. The story starts with these two in a happy and fulfilling relationship. Dupsey, Donna’s cousin, is jealous of this and seeks to take Sheriff for herself. Dupsey enlists the aid of a friend, Vusi, to seduce Donna with a life of riches and comfort. Donna, tired of being poor, falls into Dupsey and Vusi’s trap. Is her relationship with Sheriff doomed, or can he fight to get her back?

I had a difficult time following this book. This is due in large part to the writing. I’m not sure if this book was originally written in English or if it was translated, but regardless, it does not appear edited at all. I didn’t get through a single sentence without a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error. This book is in serious need of a copyedit.

Even before the copyedit, though, the content and narrative need attention. I felt the entire book was told, rather than shown. Something would happen, and then a line would follow, stating how a person—not necessarily the characters—should feel or react in this situation. There were large time gaps in the story that would start with a “insert amount of time later” with no explanation of why all that time was skipped. The plot didn’t feel linear. Rather, it was a series of terrible things happening to the characters. I wanted to be able to connect or empathize with at least one character, but it was difficult, given the nature of the writing. I wasn’t able to get into anyone’s headspace. Instead, I just felt dragged along through all the horrible events befalling the cast.

Another reason things didn’t make sense was that important information was withheld. For example, Dupsey being Donna’s cousin and her reason for wanting to break Donna and Sheriff apart isn’t shared until almost the end of the book. As a result, the beginning left me scratching my head as to why this seemingly random woman wanted to break this couple apart. There were many other side stories with additional characters, but if I’m honest, I’m unsure of what many of them were about. Everything was so rushed that I couldn’t put the pieces together.

I rate Oasis of Love 1 out of 4 stars. I’d love to say there’s a good story beneath all the issues, but I’m not sure. Without a clearer picture of what happened in this crammed-together story, I can’t say what might improve this book. Scrapping and starting over might be the best approach. Perhaps after many edits and a thorough proofread, I would recommend this book to lovers of family dramas. For now, though, I suggest passing this one up.

Oasis of love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm going to take your suggestion. Thank's for the honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

To my recollection, this is the first time I've read a one-star review. It's quite helpful because I am in the middle of writing a review for a book that I believe deserves the same rating. You provided a great example. Thanks for your honesty!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

It is such a pity that there are so many flaws because the plot is so interesting. Thank you for your honest review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

What a waste! The author may need to scrap this book. I admire you for your patience in finishing the book and tact in writing this review.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

I don't normally see one star reviews here so this is refreshingly honest! You've given some appropriate reasons why it only gets one star. Good job and well-written review.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I hope the author takes your advice and goes back to the drawing board because there's some potential in the storyline. Thank you for an honest review.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Seems there is not one thing that encourages one to pick up this book.

I'd rather take to you advice. Thank you very much!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”