Official Review: Alleged Affairs by Aniefiok Jackson

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Official Review: Alleged Affairs by Aniefiok Jackson

Post by Morgan Jones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alleged Affairs" by Aniefiok Jackson.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alleged Affairs by Aniefiok Jackson is the tragic tale of Alexandra, a professional businesswoman who always strived for independence and success from a young age. However, she falls in love and takes the reckless decision of diving into a marriage without getting to know the man properly – consequently abandoning a huge percentage of the freedom she has worked so hard to gain. As always, life moves forward and creates obstacles along the way. Hardships begin to arise in her marriage and her family begins to slowly dissipate. Alexandra becomes a shadow of the woman she used to be and, in a moment of weakness, succumbs to her desires and needs to feel loved and worthy once again – by a man who isn't her husband. What will be the outcome of her terrible mistake?

The book covers very heavy themes such as rape, murder, depression and so on. I should also warn the readers that the author doesn’t discuss such complex topics with the sensitivity and caution needed, but rather describes them explicitly and with very little thoughtfulness – therefore, the plot could be extremely triggering for some.

I would like to start by pointing out that the book contains an immense number of grammatical mistakes, typos and misspelled words. From the very first page until the last, the author couldn’t differentiate between the past and present tense, doesn’t know how to create a grammatically correct sentence and, to add to it, clearly hasn’t invested in a professional editor to fix those major flaws. For a lot of instances, I couldn’t understand what the author was trying to explain and convey in a scene, because I couldn’t find meaning in her sentences and words. Of course, this forced me to get distracted and lost more than a couple of times, and I was left wondering what the whole chapter was talking about.

To add to it, the plot was tremendously fast-paced and disorganized, more like a mess than anything. For example, in one page we find Alexandra single and displeased with men and their antics, then in the next few pages we see her married and joyful over her first child without a proper explanation to how she reached such a stage. The unsystematic flow of the storyline left absolutely no room for answers regarding Alexandra's sudden character development, nor a moment of contemplation over a character’s actions. It almost felt like a list of bullet points was squeezed into a paragraph, and then the same technique got repeated for every single paragraph throughout the chapters until we reached the end. I couldn’t help but find myself completely disconnected from the characters' emotions and the plot as a whole – which isn’t favorable for any book.

Also, the dialogues were extremely messy and lacked the proper quotation marks, hence why I couldn’t distinguish whenever a conversation started and a paragraph ended. The discussions between the characters were very unrealistic and a bit awkward at times too, because the author attempted to add poetic words to their conversations but ended up creating stiff discussions instead. I just wish that the author used such poetic sentences during her descriptions instead of dialogues – where adding a little magic to a scene would be more favorable and even preferred.

For the reasons above, I will rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. The book should be read by ages above 18 since it contains explicit sexual content and immensely triggering scenes. Sadly, I would not recommend this book to anyone simply because it lacked a solid and gripping plot, a meaningful message that should have been associated with such a heavy storyline, and there wasn’t much thought put into the creation of the characters.

Alleged Affairs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Morgan Jones's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Well done for persevering! This sounds like it was virtually impossible to read.
Thanks for the heads up and the great review! It’s never easy to give 1 Star reviews, but this one is solid.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
KING FRANKLIN
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-franklin.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by KING FRANKLIN »

Oh my God I don't think anyone should read such a book. Thanks for your thorough review.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

O my goodness!! This sounds very messy!!! Well done for seeing it through. Thanks for the review.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I think it has been really tiring to read the whole book trying to figure out what is what, so as to give such a great review. Since I love romance novels, I could have been interested in the book if it wasn't for your review. You have just saved my time, thanks.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sound like another one that should have spent the money on an editor rather than a reviewer. Thanks for the honest review. I'm not sure I would have stuck through something like that.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sounds very disorganized and a little disappointing. I was looking forward to reading this book, but now I am thinking differently.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Bianka Walter wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 07:06 Well done for persevering! This sounds like it was virtually impossible to read.
Thanks for the heads up and the great review! It’s never easy to give 1 Star reviews, but this one is solid.
Indeed, it was very hard to read and give a rating to, especially because I had high hopes for the plot but was left very disappointed by its shallowness. Thank you for commenting!😊
Last edited by Morgan Jones on 23 Jul 2018, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

KING FRANKLIN wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 07:13 Oh my God I don't think anyone should read such a book. Thanks for your thorough review.
Sadly, I agree with you. Thank you for commenting!😊
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Corhan2 wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 09:21 O my goodness!! This sounds very messy!!! Well done for seeing it through. Thanks for the review.
It definitely was! Thank you for commenting!😊
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 10:31 I think it has been really tiring to read the whole book trying to figure out what is what, so as to give such a great review. Since I love romance novels, I could have been interested in the book if it wasn't for your review. You have just saved my time, thanks.
Thank you for your sweet words😊 to be honest, I was excited to read it too and I wish the author had put more time in developing the promising plot. Or at least invest in an editor rather than a reviewer.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

AmySmiles wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 12:17 Sound like another one that should have spent the money on an editor rather than a reviewer. Thanks for the honest review. I'm not sure I would have stuck through something like that.
I completely agree with you! Actually, that was my thought exactly upon finishing the book. Thank you for commenting!😊
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Amy+++ wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 14:54 Sounds very disorganized and a little disappointing. I was looking forward to reading this book, but now I am thinking differently.
Sadly, I wouldn't suggest picking up this book as it only managed to confuse me more than anything. Thank you for commenting!😊
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

It could have had great potential if it wasn't for all the mistakes.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Yikes, sounds a bit of a disaster. Well done for sticking with it!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”