Official Review: Our Journey by John lentz

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Our Journey by John lentz

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Journey" by John lentz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

He was concerned when his wife told their neighbors that he was a gambler and an adulterer, but this was different. John’s wife did not know who he was, and she was calling for her mother. Author John Lentz tells the true story of the years he spent caring for his wife in Our Journey.

At the age of fifty-two, John’s wife was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease. The symptoms appeared slowly but surely. For example, she would call him at work because she was lost in their own neighborhood. As time passed, the symptoms became much worse, and John found himself taking care of his wife with no help from friends or family members. The cost of care and John’s lost hours at work almost sent them into bankruptcy. At times, the difficulties of each and every day left John wondering what his wife would have done if their roles had been reversed. John set his doubts aside and continued to provide the care that his wife needed simply because, through it all, he truly loved her.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. My emotional engagement in John’s story was completely unexpected. His commitment to his wife’s care and comfort made me feel for him, but he never once came off as a victim. His love for his wife was his driving force, and John took every physical and emotional blow in stride. John is a man who deserves much praise, and he further impressed me with each selfless choice and sacrifice that he made. This is an engaging story, and I was invested from start to finish.

This is a well-written and well-organized book. There are two minor grammar errors, but these did not cause a distraction. The story is told with understandable language and flowed seamlessly from scene to scene creating a pleasant reading experience. However, I found the ending to be somewhat abrupt. Still, I recommend this book to non-fiction readers who enjoy stories about love and family.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. John’s passion for bringing awareness to this disorder shines through in his writing. His story kept my attention to the end. This is a story that everyone should read. Alzheimer’s disease affects the entire family and recognizing the signs can prevent unnecessary pain. This is an encouraging story that highlights the importance of family, determination, and the power of love.

Our Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Nidaconhh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidaconhh.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Nidaconhh »

I always love to read real life story. This is a must read for me.Thanks for the review!
Tinashe Mukakurireyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Tinashe Mukakurireyi »

This is an encouraging story that gives me energy as l go through the lines: power to love!
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Not really a fan of real-life books though they always carry a valuable lesson. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I admire John hanging tough with his wife in spite of that horrible disease. This book sounds like a real tearjerker. I just don't know if I'm up for a book like that right now, but I'll keep it in mind for a future time. Thanks for a lovely review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Alzheimer's disease is so horrible. It robs not only the person that has it of their life, but those who care and love for the person as well. This reminds me of Still Alice also a great book on the subject but told from the person with Alzheimer's point of view. Thanks for the great review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

How refreshing to read about that level of commitment! I can see why you connected with this emotional story. Thanks for the candid review!
erlganda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by erlganda »

i think i will love to read this book. Thank you for the awesome review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It seems like this book can give encouragement to so many in our society. So many people with Alzheimer's are relegated to the carefully named "Memory Care" facilities. What a testament of love that John would dedicate himself to his beloved wife, in spite of the hardships that meant for him. Thanks for a beautiful review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

So true. My grandmother is in a nursing home now. Not for Alzheimer's but for other reasons. It's hard seeing her like that.

Although now she is beginning to slip away a little more each day. We are constantly reminding her of what day it is or when we saw her last. I can relate very well to this book even though my grandma is getting the help she needs and this guy's wife only has him taking care of her. Doesn't change the fact that seeing someone you love needing help all the time when they never did before is heart braking.
KING FRANKLIN
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-franklin.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by KING FRANKLIN »

I like real life stories because of the lessons they teach. I was touched by your review and this book is a must read for me. Thanks for the recommendation.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

What makes the book even more interesting is that it is based on a true story. Through your review, I felt a pinch of sympathy for poor John for having had to look after his wife alone with no help from family members.
AlweznetNG
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AlweznetNG »

The story is quite interesting and touching especially for John to look after his wife alone without any external help.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

A real-life story is always encouraging!
tanya_bagga1
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by tanya_bagga1 »

A simple story which shows a husband's love towards his wife, caring nature and hope that his wife recovers.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”