Official Review: Ridiculous by D.L. Carter

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Ridiculous by D.L. Carter

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ridiculous" by D.L. Carter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Identity theft regency style” was the description that first grabbed my attention. I’ve never read a Regency romance novel before, but as I was looking for something different, something to distract from personal struggles, I decided to give this one a try. Ridiculous! by D.L. Carter was advertised as a humorous, witty and captivating read. It certainly didn’t disappoint in that regard. In keeping with its name, the book was both ridiculous, and entertaining.

When the horrible Mr. Anthony North passed away during the night, Millicent, her mother, and two younger sisters were freed from their duties as unpaid servants but left with limited options. Millicent rose to the occasion and decided to assume Mr. North’s identity in order to protect and care for her family. The name “Millicent Boarder” was then buried in the ground along with her cousin's body, and the new and improved Mr. North had the freedom and ability to manage the finances as he/she saw fit.

I couldn’t help but be reminded of Mulan, one of my favorite Disney movies. Both the book and the movie had strong female leads willing to act as men in order to protect and defend their families. "The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all" was said of Mulan and could also be applied to Millicent. So, too, could the quote, "you don’t meet a girl like that every dynasty."

Assuming the identities of men wasn’t where the similarities ended. Millicent lived in a time when women were meant to be pretty, demure, and delicate creatures, without an intelligent thought in their heads. "How about a girl who’s got a brain, who always speaks her mind?" When Millicent became a man, she found she rather enjoyed being able to express her thoughts, to take charge of situations, to travel where, when and how she saw fit. It’s during one of those trips to her other estates that she happened upon Timothy Shoffer, the Duke of Trolenfield and his sister, Elizabeth. Instant friendships were formed and continued throughout the book. Romantic feelings toward Shoffer on Millicent’s part were also instantaneous, but she tried to be content with their manly friendship and the amount of time they got to spend together as pals.

The dialogue and writing style were in keeping with the time period, which enhanced the authenticity of the story. I was transported back in time, able to learn about the culture surrounding London society in the 1800s. Part of the ridiculous nature of the book was reading about Millicent and her family’s attempt to navigate all of the many social rules of the time. The number of dos-and-don’ts, and who-said-whats, and who-was-seen-with-whos, and who-wore-whats was astounding. I’m convinced I wouldn’t have been able to survive in that time period regardless of my gender. Because it was a little over the top, drama fans would certainly enjoy that aspect of the story.

My main complaint was that the middle of the book seemed to drag. A lot of time was devoted to the numerous social events that Millicent’s family attended. “Mr. North” became the life of every party, playing the part of a witty, humorous fool, set on entertaining the Ton. We got detailed scenes depicting how clever she was in saving certain social situations, and for a time, it was enjoyable. It just went on too long, in my opinion. With the amount of socializing she did, I also found it a little unbelievable that her identity wasn't realized right away.

Finally, there was this brilliant build up between Millicent and Shoffer. I found myself breathless with anticipation, wondering how the author would manage the big unveiling of Mr. North’s true identity. Unfortunately, the result was a tad anticlimactic. It wasn’t that it was poorly written, it just fell flat, and I was left disappointed. However, I’m happy to report that all loose ends were tied neatly together, and everyone received their happyily ever afters.

I did notice a handful of editing and grammatical errors, mostly in the form of missing commas, but those mistakes didn't interfere with the reading of the story. I’ve decided to rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars, since I don’t think it quite reached the highest 4-star rating. I’d recommend this book to Regency romance lovers, as well as to people who like witty, take-charge female leads. However, if you’re not a fan of high drama stories and old-fashioned language, you may want to avoid this one. I also wouldn’t recommend to readers looking for a heavy dose of romantic action. The romance didn’t pick up until the last 30% of the story, which I didn’t mind, but others might. All in all, an enjoyable, light-hearted read!

Ridiculous
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bonnie Shelby's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Thanks for the thorough review. Sounds interesting, but just not quite my cup of tea.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

AmySmiles wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 09:38 Thanks for the thorough review. Sounds interesting, but just not quite my cup of tea.
It's definitely not for everyone. :) Thank you for commenting!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a fun twist on identity theft, and I love happily ever afters! Thanks for the lovely review!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I like the occasional Regency romance from time to time and the addition of a little wit and humor in the story sounds like a plus. Well done on the review of this book.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Cecilia_L wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 10:34 This sounds like a fun twist on identity theft, and I love happily ever afters! Thanks for the lovely review!
It was a fun book. Thanks for stopping by :)
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Britty01 wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 11:43 I like the occasional Regency romance from time to time and the addition of a little wit and humor in the story sounds like a plus. Well done on the review of this book.
Thank you :) If you need something different, you should definitely give it a try.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

From your summary, I thought it was interesting that this was placed in the romance genre, but as you said, it picks up towards the end. I love how you likened Millicent to Mulan - that pretty much covers it :)
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Bianka Walter wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 15:22 From your summary, I thought it was interesting that this was placed in the romance genre, but as you said, it picks up towards the end. I love how you likened Millicent to Mulan - that pretty much covers it :)
Great review!
I didn't think I could write the review without at least one Mulan quote in there; it was too fitting :D
Thank you for commenting - I really appreciate it!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I love those stories that are just a crazy mess full of crazy themes. Thanks for the great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

JR Mercier wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 05:37 I love those stories that are just a crazy mess full of crazy themes. Thanks for the great review.
Me too. Thanks for leaving a comment :)
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

You're right, this book does remind me of Disney's version of Mulan--and, weirdly, enough, Pride and Prejudice (because of all the social events, and the time period as well)! And I love your description of Millicent's character :)

I might not pick this book up, since you've said the ending was anticlimactic, but thank you for your detailed, nuanced review :D
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 03:15 You're right, this book does remind me of Disney's version of Mulan--and, weirdly, enough, Pride and Prejudice (because of all the social events, and the time period as well)! And I love your description of Millicent's character :)

I might not pick this book up, since you've said the ending was anticlimactic, but thank you for your detailed, nuanced review :D
Thank you for commenting - I appreciate it :)
KING FRANKLIN
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-franklin.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by KING FRANKLIN »

Your review is lovely. I think this will be an interesting read for me.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

KING FRANKLIN wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 07:01 Your review is lovely. I think this will be an interesting read for me.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it :)

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”