Official Review: Revelations (The Infinity Series, Vol.1)

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: Revelations (The Infinity Series, Vol.1)

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Revelations (The Infinity Series, Vol.1)" by Bellamy Westbay.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gwen Adams, a lonely young woman struggling with her future, is pulled between her love for her best friend Ky, and the pull she feels toward Alexander, the mysterious new businessman in town. Alexander is torn between his feelings for Gwen and his obligations toward Hannah, the young temptress that is the spitting image of his long-lost love, Eva. Follow their journey of love, lust, and betrayal as they learn that nothing is ever as it seems.

Revelations did a stunning job at keeping me hooked. While I do love a good romance every now and then, I need a romance that carries on an intriguing plot – Revelations does that. The fast pace deals out relationship drama, friendship drama, and a fascinating mystery. I also love that the mystery isn’t obvious. Whenever I thought I found who the culprit was, I would be proven wrong. The ending had me reeling and muttering, “I did not see that coming.” I loved it. While this is a bit of a longer read, the author keeps the reader captivated. There is so much going on at one time that there isn't time to get bored.

Bellamy Westbay’s writing is gorgeous. The author knows when to include details and to build a beautifully descriptive scene, but also knows when to keep the writing short and when to pick up the pace. It is also clearly evident that the writer is intelligent. The story she has built seems amazingly complex, and I love the blend of the Bible with science. For those wondering, it is all done very tastefully – there is clearly no disrespect meant. Amazingly, I only found one typo, and that was only one missed comma. The professional editing was the icing on an already great cake.

The only problem I had with Revelations was the abundance of romance troupes. You all know which ones I am talking about. The ‘trip and fall into the arms of a super-hot guy’ troupe; the ‘something happens, and she needs a place to stay, which is conveniently his bed’ troupe, and the ‘he hurt me, so I will date another guy, but I dream of him’ troupe. While I do agree that some of these troupes are entertaining and have made up the foundation of modern romance novels, I found myself wishing for something more – especially with such a complex story. I hope that, as more of the story is revealed, we will see some unique scenes that will match the story’s great plot.

This is not a standalone novel. The next book in the series is already scheduled for release and carries on with Gwen and Alex’s story. While the book focusses on Gwen and Alex, the author has created some great characters that I hope will be fleshed-out in the future. There is also no explicit erotica in this book but I think, and hope, that there will be in the next books in this series.

I wish I could rate Revelations 3.5 stars but because we must use whole numbers, I will rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Revelations is the first of a series with a unique take on the age-old story of humans and angels falling in love. The mystery had me hooked and I can’t wait to grab ahold of the sequel. I would recommend this read to those seeking an interesting new romance read, filled with a unique story and a mystery that keeps the reader guessing.

Revelations (The Infinity Series, Vol.1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a compelling read. I can see that your heart has sailed with the protagonist which is interesting. I like to read this story if I get a chance. Thank you for your sound review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

You have sold this one to me. I like stories that are engaging from the very first moment and keep one guessing to the very end. Great Review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound like it's rather full of cliches. Romance really isn't my genre anyway, but if I did read it, I would need an intriguing plot like you. So, if I decide I need a change of pace, I'll pick it up. Thanks for the review. Glad you were able to enjoy it!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

This book sounds like a good read but unfortunately I don't like book series because if don't read the next or the previous one, I'll feel like I haven't completed the one I just finished. Thanks for the review anyway.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I'm not a fan of love triangles, and the drama surrounding the character's mixed feelings doesn't appeal to me. The overdone romantic troupes also make me hesitant to read this, but you made it sound like the writing and the "I did not see that coming" aspect makes it worth it. So great review! I'll think about reading this one :)
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 07:32 Sounds like a compelling read. I can see that your heart has sailed with the protagonist which is interesting. I like to read this story if I get a chance. Thank you for your sound review!
I am definitely more interested in the world the author is creating. I hope she elaborates on it because it has soooo much potential. Thank you for the wonderful comment!
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Cotwani wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 08:33 You have sold this one to me. I like stories that are engaging from the very first moment and keep one guessing to the very end. Great Review!
Thank you so much! And I hope you enjoy this one. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 09:10 It does sound like it's rather full of cliches. Romance really isn't my genre anyway, but if I did read it, I would need an intriguing plot like you. So, if I decide I need a change of pace, I'll pick it up. Thanks for the review. Glad you were able to enjoy it!
I'm all for the crazy paranormal romance. Like any series, the first book is slightly awkward but I have such hope for the rest of this series.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Ubyamos wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 12:54 This book sounds like a good read but unfortunately I don't like book series because if don't read the next or the previous one, I'll feel like I haven't completed the one I just finished. Thanks for the review anyway.
That's a shame but thank you so much for the kind comment. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 13:37 I'm not a fan of love triangles, and the drama surrounding the character's mixed feelings doesn't appeal to me. The overdone romantic troupes also make me hesitant to read this, but you made it sound like the writing and the "I did not see that coming" aspect makes it worth it. So great review! I'll think about reading this one :)
This is very much a cliche romance novel but the plot the author is creating is so intriguing. Maybe I'll review the second book in the future and I will let you know if the plot is worth reading through the romance. :tiphat:
Ubah199
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ubah199 »

Instresting tale full of romance and love its truely a revelation indeed
Penbreath09
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Penbreath09 »

A novel that recreates its own world of the relationship between the Sons of God and the Daughters of Men, is something I should read. Nice and attractive review!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I'm also a huge fan of romance novels, and this one definitely seems like an intriguing one. Thanks for the lovely review as always!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This book definitely sounds like a good read, and I'm especially excited that you've mentioned that the plot twists were unexpected (and that the writing was good)! I'm definitely with you on the romance-trope thing, though. :P

Thank you for your nuanced review! I really enjoyed reading it :D

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”