Official Review: When Time Stands Still

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Official Review: When Time Stands Still

Post by Morgan Jones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Time Stands Still" by Sara Furlong Burr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Time Stands Still by Sara Furlong Burr is the story of lost love and redemption. Elle Sloan hasn’t contacted Luke Hutchins in almost a decade, choosing instead to bury all of their shared memories in the deepest corner of her mind. She dives into a loveless marriage, concentrates on going forward in life without Luke by her side and fools herself into thinking that everything is smooth and dandy in her life. However, her plans come to a brutal halt when she receives an unfortunate call. Luke has been in a dreadful car accident and is now suffering from amnesia, forgetting completely about the past ten years and his break up with Elle. Driven by guilt and a silent need for closure, Elle agrees to return to Luke’s side in hopes of jogging his memory and lessening the pain of reality. What happens when old feelings begin to return, and Elle starts to question every choice that brought her to this moment?

The book discusses extremely triggering themes such as alcoholism, rape, emotional and physical abuse, miscarriage and so on. It is not, by any means, a light read but it is very educational and insightful. The author makes sure to explain all of the protagonist’s suffering and worries in full detail, which I highly appreciated. Elle has been the leader of a very harsh life with barely any form of security. She was raised by an alcoholic, single mother who didn’t pass a day without reminding Elle of her inadequacy. Later on, she was abused and raped by an ex-lover, and she continues to deal with insecurities and traumatizing memories even after she meets Luke.

What I greatly enjoyed about the storyline was how Luke wasn't created as Elle’s savior, as I expected in the beginning, but as her support. Elle’s pain didn’t end with the presence of Luke in her life, but it became more concealed despite Luke’s apparent attempts to be the person Elle confides in. I understood Elle’s tendencies to create a solid barrier in her relationship, how her involvement with her mother and ex-boyfriend affected her perspective of who she should allow in her life despite the strong connection she felt with Luke. Her emotions and thoughts were messy and contradicting up until the very end, which made them even more believable and relatable – especially when she broke up with Luke. I commend the author for putting tremendous care in portraying Elle’s complex character.

Also, I enjoyed the stories of the minor characters and their charming sense of humor. Each one had a distinctive, unique personality which I loved reading about throughout the book. For example, Mena, Elle’s best friend, was loud and out-spoken while Monroe, Luke’s best friend, was more calm and bold. Both of them had contradicting personalities yet shared the same morals and immense loyalty to their loved ones. Their dynamic was the most fascinating to read about, and I cracked a few laughs whenever they were involved in conversations.

On the other hand, there were some aspects of the book that I didn’t find believable. For instance, the start of Elle and Luke’s relationship was immensely fast-paced and too cliché to be captivating. It was a love at first sight where they couldn’t stop staring at each other for a couple of seconds. Later on, Mena forced Elle to go on a date with Luke, a complete stranger, without at least a background check on him – simply because the way they gawked at each other was so love-struck. Also, after a day of knowing each other, Elle already trusted Luke enough to sleep next to him despite getting raped in the past. I just didn’t find this fairytale-like love to fit Elle’s cautious nature and past struggles with trust.

There were a few minor typos but other than that, the book seemed to be professionally edited and proofread.

For the reasons above, I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book was written beautifully and realistically, but I would have greatly appreciated it if the author focused a bit more on writing shorter descriptions while explaining a scene or a character’s feelings – since it made me lose focus of the main purpose of a scene sometimes. I would recommend this book for ages above 16 because it contains triggering scenes and sexual content. I would also recommend it for lovers of a meaningful and inspirational love story, but not for the readers who are looking for a quick and light read.

When Time Stands Still
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Morgan Jones's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Mena and Monroe sound like fun characters. I love it when the second string cast is well developed.
Great review - thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

I cant believe that Elle could easily sleep with Luke, after her experience of rape, either. But her emotional turmoil does make it a more likely scenario if she is insecure and unsure more than she is scared.
bookierme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by bookierme »

I'm thinking of a way to describe your review and all I can come up with is 'crisp' :). Great job! The book sounds awesome, with some great characters and thought-provoking themes. I will add it to my reading list.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Bianka Walter wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 16:06 Mena and Monroe sound like fun characters. I love it when the second string cast is well developed.
Great review - thanks so much!
Me too! Thank you for commenting😊
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Lu_rire wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 01:18 I cant believe that Elle could easily sleep with Luke, after her experience of rape, either. But her emotional turmoil does make it a more likely scenario if she is insecure and unsure more than she is scared.
I agree. I didn't find the scene to be convincing, but had Elle agreed to sleep next to Luke after some time and not as soon as the next time they meet, I would have believed it a bit more. Thank you for commenting😁
Last edited by Morgan Jones on 12 Jul 2018, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

bookierme wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 06:13 I'm thinking of a way to describe your review and all I can come up with is 'crisp' :). Great job! The book sounds awesome, with some great characters and thought-provoking themes. I will add it to my reading list.
You definitely should! Thank you for your sweet words😁
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I agree that Elle is unlikely to throw caution to the wind to fast after having been raped earlier in her life.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I know that Elle's and Luke's relationship seems fast-paced but I still enjoy the magic between them. Lovely review.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like an interesting amnesia situation - I have heard of people waking up and forgetting that certain crucial things happened. Is this classified as romance? It seems you don't really go for the love at first sight thing in fiction - I would find that annoyingly cliched too.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sounds like it's written in a Nicholas Sparks sort of style. I think I would like this one. Love should be support. I like that Luke was support and not a savior. Nice review.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Helen_Combe wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 10:44 Great review, I agree that Elle is unlikely to throw caution to the wind to fast after having been raped earlier in her life.
Indeed. Thank you for commenting!☺
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

crediblereading2 wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 12:06 I know that Elle's and Luke's relationship seems fast-paced but I still enjoy the magic between them. Lovely review.
Me too! Their chemistry was remarkable and I enjoyed their story as a whole. Thank you for commenting!😊
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 12:20 This sounds like an interesting amnesia situation - I have heard of people waking up and forgetting that certain crucial things happened. Is this classified as romance? It seems you don't really go for the love at first sight thing in fiction - I would find that annoyingly cliched too.
Yes, it falls under the romance genre! And it's true, I prefer a more realistic story of people coming together naturally without too much magic involved. Thank you for commenting!😊
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 20:58 Sounds like it's written in a Nicholas Sparks sort of style. I think I would like this one. Love should be support. I like that Luke was support and not a savior. Nice review.
It does have a bit of resemblance to Nicholas Sparks' style! And yes, "the only savior is yourself" was one of the main themes of the book😊 Thank you for commenting!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”