This forum is for discussing a single book or single series in each topic thread. Please set the title of the topic thread as the name of the book or series, and preferably include also the author's name if it fits. If you want to discuss a book in its entirety, i.e. you don't mind spoilers, please also include the word spoilers in the subject to warn users who may not want to read spoilers. If a thread does not have a clear spoiler warning, then it is against the forum rules to post spoilers in it. If you are an author or publisher, you may not start a topic about your own book; instead please click here to learn how to get your book or ebook reviewed.
- Cara Van Heerden
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 19 Jun 2018, 02:14
- 2018 Reading Goal: 25
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 39
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
- Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
- Reading Device: B0147LDSG0
I've recently finished reading all 5 books of the Selection Series. For those of you who haven't read it, the series is about a fictional country called Illea where society is split in numbered castes from 1 being royalty and 8 being homeless. The story follows America, at first, who is a 5 and a performer. She is selected along with 34 other girls to go to the palace and have a chance to fall in love with Prince Maxon. The whole of Illea is watching, but America has no intentions to fall in love!
**WARNING, there will be spoilers from here onwards.**
So who else has read the series and what do you think? Did you love all of it? Or only part of it? Which character(s) is your favorite? What did you think of the love triangle between America, Maxon and Ahren? Did her choice surprise you? And what about the last two books about America's daughter's own selection? Did it flow well or was the time jump jarring?
I found these books really good. The first three books were absolutely amazing! I enjoyed America's story so much and it was entertaining how she didn't want the palace life at all. That's what made her final choice of Maxon so surprising for me. I also really enjoyed the rebels.
The last two books have my favorite character: Kyle. But apart from that, I didn't enjoy Eadlyn's story nearly as much. The time jump was so jarring and the action minimized. I rate the entire series 8.5/10
Let me know your thoughts below.
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 09 Jun 2018, 12:38
- 2018 Reading Goal: 30
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 136
- Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 49
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
- Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo
I thought the love triangle between America, Maxon, and Ahren was uncomfortable but somewhat relatable. I mean who can forget their first love and the heartbreak from losing them? I was not surprised by her choice though. I mean besides it being the obvious ending, Ahren was the first guy to show interest, so it's easy to fall head over heels without there being any substance. I think there was more to her relationship with Maxon.
I do have to agree that I liked America's story more than Eadlyn's. I was really rooting for Kile, so I was a little disappointed when she chose Eikko. Hale was actually my favorite though, but I knew that wouldn't work lol!
- Posts: 38
- Joined: 08 Jul 2018, 19:26
- 2018 Reading Goal: 100
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
- Currently Reading: Lion Heart
- Bookshelf Size: 1967
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poisonwhiterose.html
- Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
- Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 17:21
- Currently Reading: The Selection
- Bookshelf Size: 16
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-kloss.html
- Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles