Official Review: Vanessa's Niece by H Horace Broomes

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Vanessa's Niece by H Horace Broomes

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vanessa's Niece" by H Horace Broomes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jakey at fourteen might have been not philosophical or poetic yet to call his life idyllic, as he has everything going well for him, except the Sabbath. He has a loving family providing for his basic needs, instructing him on human values, bringing him up on the tenets of the Seventh Day Adventist faith, with friendly elders and teachers to boot. His day starts off by helping to feed and milk a few cows, after which is breakfast and school. However, these are for weekdays and Sundays only because Saturdays are different. Although in fairness to boys his age, they can’t be called anti-Sabbath, the day-long worship gets to him. And Sunday follows closely, another day at the church—to him that’s a double whammy. So, though quite ironic, he considers himself fortunate when he gets sick, only on weekends, that is. Then, his fortune went up a notch higher when Vanessa was assigned to look after him one Saturday. And not to worry that he missed Saturday’s church session for “Nessa” taught him some skills to make up for it. And the other girls, Rookmin and Shirley, coming one at a time, also became privy to the activity. Of course, there had been other women who interacted in Jakey’s life, in also notable passion –err, fashion, namely, Jacinta and Mrs. M. Here comes the question, which one of them is Vanessa’s niece?

The novel Vanessa’s Niece by H. Horace Broomes has stricken me with more than fascination. It is set in the little island of Tobago in the Caribbean, which my searches revealed to be populated by around 60,000 people at the latest 2011 census, mostly of African descent. That many people distributed to so many towns would relegate just a handful for each town. I just imagine that could result in a really close-knit society, where everybody knows everybody. By the way, that is small-town ambiance, the feeling you get in the novel.

Events in this novel could have transpired some few decades before and after 1958, and as the novel puts it, in the lifetime of Jake Brougham, or “Jakey” as friends and relatives in Tobago call him. The year 1958 was the year The Federation of the West Indies bogged down, and Jakey went down with it, being its employee. By 1962, the countries constituting the federation were free from Britain. So, I am just happy to have speculated some chronology to the novel, dates here being a dearth.

The novel has a unique style of writing, and it takes some time to get familiar with it. For instance, some paragraphs are composed of only one run-on sentence, but that is not to say they failed to convey the intended thought. And so, if run-on sentences seemed to be the norm, I wonder if I might as well look for the normal-length sentences to point as the errant strains, what do you say?

It amazes me how Mr. Broomes could keep two sets of rules for punctuation. One set is the standard rules for punctuation based on formal English writing, while another set of rules is used solely for the dialogue of native Tobagonians. For instance, the comma, period, and the question mark are placed outside of the last quote mark. When the words are not spelled in a conventional way, as in Tobagonian dialogue, punctuation is also unconventional. It figures.

There are some errors in spelling found, but only on the English words. Although these did not diminish my reading pleasure, I have to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of romance, and also to students of cultural courses, to give them a glimpse of life in one of the islands of the Caribbean.

Vanessa's Niece
View: on Bookshelves

Like ReyvrexQuestor Reyes's review? Post a comment saying so!
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I have never read a book taking place in the islands of Caribbean before. I believe this book will be my starting book to that. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 07:12 I have never read a book taking place in the islands of Caribbean before. I believe this book will be my starting book to that. Thank you for your review.
It is a worthy book to read. Among other things, you'll get to know small-island life, with people caring for each other in a pastoral setting. Thanks for your feedback.

JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

The writing sounds really interesting and the destination has piqued my curiousity. Great review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

JR Mercier wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 04:13 The writing sounds really interesting and the destination has piqued my curiousity. Great review!
Tobago is a tourist destination. The republic is actually Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. They use standard currencies, having been under British influence for so long. Thank you for passing by.

Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds an interesting book both in format as well as content.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like an interesting book. Glad you enjoyed it and were about to learn about a new country.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Helen_Combe wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 07:11 Great review, it sounds an interesting book both in format as well as content.
I'm sure you could get used to it. The writing ambiance has such naivety and innocence, you will love it.

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

CommMayo wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 08:29 Sounds like an interesting book. Glad you enjoyed it and were about to learn about a new country.
Hi, buddy, thanks for passing. The country is so pastoral, it rings of family on every affair.

Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Great review! I'd love to read a book taking place on a Carribean island. The fact that we get to learn about the certain aspects surrounding their culture is a huge plus. I also know someone with the name "Vanessa", so the title alone caught my attention :)
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 09:55 Great review! I'd love to read a book taking place on a Carribean island. The fact that we get to learn about the certain aspects surrounding their culture is a huge plus. I also know someone with the name "Vanessa", so the title alone caught my attention :)
Tobago was once a protectorate of Great Britain and as such, its quaint culture brought about by geographic isolation is gradually being infused by that of its protector, and also by tourists who found the island as an excellent destination nowadays. Thank you for passing by.

P. S.: Please send my regards to Vanessa.

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another insightful review! I am impressed that the author used two sets of punctuation rules - the standard type and another set for the natives. Still, the book doesn't seem like my taste due to your description of the run-on sentence writing style.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

bookowlie wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 10:18 Thanks for another insightful review! I am impressed that the author used two sets of punctuation rules - the standard type and another set for the natives. Still, the book doesn't seem like my taste due to your description of the run-on sentence writing style.
Yes, unfortunately, that was the case. But you can get used to it. Thank you for passing by.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”