Official Review: You Did What? by Isabella Harron

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: You Did What? by Isabella Harron

Post by Haute_Coffee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Did What?" by Isabella Harron.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You Did What? is one of the most aptly titled books I have read recently. A juicy romance, the plot centers around a scandalous incident that rocks the lives of a single mother, her daughter, and the man they are both interested in.

Natalee is thirty-eight years old and has been single for many years, having lost her police officer husband in the line of duty. While her friends are desperate for her to find love again, Natalee remains uninterested in any of the men she meets... until Joe comes into her life. Although the two have a mutual attraction to each other, Natalee avoids getting involved with Joe. He is eight years younger and looking to start a family soon, and Natalee has already raised a daughter. Jenny is a college student and Natalee feels that part of her life is finished.

Undeterred, Joe continues to pursue Natalee. He feels a connection to her and is sure she feels the same way, and that their mutual feelings will win out over practicalities. His progress is impeded by the ambitious Jenny, who is also attracted to Joe. When she has trouble making progress with her new love interest, Jenny resorts to committing an act so vile that it shocks all those who know her- or thought they knew her. Once Jenny casts her stone into the water, the ripples affect not just her life, but the lives of Joe and Natalee too.

You Did What? is far from a cookie-cutter romance. The story is fascinating and a little lurid; it's a great book for a guilty-pleasure read. Jenny's plan to win her man at all costs gave me some pleasant shock value and kept me glued to the story; I simply couldn't wait to see how the characters would handle the fallout. It was such a page-turner that I finished the book in one afternoon.

The plot was definitely the book's strength. I also enjoyed the characters, although I wish Jenny had been a little more three-dimensional. As the story's "villain," I wanted to know more about what made her tick. No one is all good or all bad, and while a superfluous motivation for her actions was mentioned, I wish we had known more about what was really going on inside her head.

The only other thing that bothered me about the story was the on and off nature of Natalee and Joe's relationship. Natalee has many good reasons to be wary of a relationship, but she veered between being with Joe and breaking it off with him so often I nearly got whiplash while reading. At first, I was rooting for them to get together so the conflicts sparked a lot of interest, but soon I began to feel like their break-ups were a bit redundant and it affected the pace of the story. Luckily, the characters are likable and the overall story held my interest.

I wish that I were able to give two separate ratings, one for the plot and one for technical merit. There were lots and lots of misplaced commas. It was to the point that I was sometimes confused about which lines of dialogue belonged to which character. Luckily, almost all the errors involved commas and nothing else, which made it a little easier to overlook. I gave You Did What? three out of four stars. The story was enjoyable and it was a quick and easy read. Keep in mind it is a romance novel and does include sex scenes, which I know some readers choose to avoid. If you're looking for a juicy little beach read, however, this is a perfect choice.

You Did What?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Haute_Coffee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Wow! This book sounds really interesting. I have read so many romance books that I presently prefer less drama ones but this got me really intrigued. I haven't read such a plot and conflict between mother and daughter about their love interests. This is surely a juicy breach read for that conflict. I'm also drawn to novels that can be read in one sitting only. Thank you for this thorough review.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

a single mother, her daughter, and the man they are both interested in.
A very interesting plot. Your review is awesome.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thank you for this review. It got me really interested and the plot sounds very good.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Haute_Coffee wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 11:52 Natalee has many good reasons to be wary of a relationship, but she veered between being with Joe and breaking it off with him so often I nearly got whiplash while reading.
This line made me literally laugh aloud. I love reading a good review almost as much as reading a good book. I'll pass on the book due to gratuitous commas and sex scenes, but thanks for an entertaining and thorough review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Interesting to see what jealousy can do to tear people apart. Sounds like an exciting read! Thank you for a descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

An interesting storyline I must say. Not sure the sex scenes cut it for me though. Thanks for the detailed review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Alright, so the title sounds pretty interesting and I might pick this one because it seems like a light read. You've done a great job with the review, anyway. Pretty amazing writing skills.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
bavln
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavln.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by bavln »

The title makes me curious, and you review makes me imagine hot drama that I don't want to miss.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

This review definitely made me interested in the book. I hope I can overlook misplaced commas.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I enjoyed reading your review but I don't fancy the plot about the mother and daughter is attracted towards the same man. Thank you for this great review of yours.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

Your review makes this book sound very interesting and like something I would enjoy reading. Thank you for sharing!
Book lover26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover26.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Book lover26 »

The title alone is intriguing enough but that mixed with your review has made this book even more intriguing. Especially about whatever it is that Jenny has done. I am definitely going to be giving this a read. Great review! Very well written
Tripp
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tripp »

This book seems so exciting that it really captured my interest which is romance
Asi Ch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Asi Ch »

Tittle is intresting and your review made it more intresting for me . thankyou for the review .

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”