Review by rik17 -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Review by rik17 -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by rik17 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches 2, by H.M. Irwing, is a fictional romantic thriller book. It is the second book of the Bad Boy Vibes series, which is a set of three books. This book continues with the thorny romantic journey of Anna Simons and Rafe Brown. The two empathize with each other because of their similar past experiences of abuse and rape. However, their path towards building a blissful future together gets constantly disrupted by the scars of the past. How they deal with such issues, what new dangers they face and how they prepare themselves to overcome such obstacles, form the essence of this installment.

One thing I liked about the final part of the series, Heartaches 3, was that it was not led by its plot, but was focused more upon its relationships. This means, a new reader will not find it difficult to connect with the book even if he or she has no idea what has happened in the previous installments. I found this aspect to be conspicuously missing in the second part. The characters are driven too much by past occurrences. Therefore, if one does not know about those past incidents, understanding the first few chapters of this book will be highly difficult.

However, I have bigger issues with the book. Firstly, the incidents in the first half of the book are repetitive and trivial. Too many pages are wasted on aspects that do not deserve more than a paragraph. For instance, almost every second chapter of the first half ends with scenes that try to make us understand how much the two lead protagonists love each other. The developments feel like a loop of one trivial incident followed by one scene of sex or passionate love. I understand that romance is an important part in a book of this genre, but it has been applied here so forcefully and repetitively that it soon became mind-numbingly stale.

The second, and more important issue I have with this book, is regarding the manner in which it has treated its female characters. They are simply one dimensional and appear to be too tolerant of the verbal insults thrown towards them. In fact the nature of abuse is so fiercely graphic that only pure perverts are capable of using such language. Can any woman actually be cordial towards such a pervert? Not that I know of. But the women in the book seem to think otherwise, which was hard for me to believe. Additionally, the female characters have no problem in talking about what kind of underwear they have. Overall, the book is absolutely demeaning when it comes to portraying the dignity of women.

For these reasons I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Actual constructive developments begin much later on and a substantial portion of the book has been wasted upon trivial issues. But more importantly, it is the manner in which the female characters have been treated that I found to be well beyond my taste. There are a few grammatical errors, but they are very negligible in amount. The book is suitable only for young adults who seek mushy reads with sexual titillation and are not hoping for serious enlightening conclusions.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like rik17's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I agree. A romance isn't a romance because of the love/sex scenes involved. There needs to be character depth and believability. And I feel like all romance would be instantly extinguished for me if I had to read on through the derisive language thrown at the woman. And it's accepted? Nah... back to the believability issue.
Great review, thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have read and written the review of Heartaches 2 by I.M Irwing. Anna Walters-Simmons acts as protagonist character in the story who suffered from cruelty, rapist and remorseless behaviors from her closely linked people. She is passing from a very poor condition full of grief but also trying to come back to its normal position with the desire of vengeance. Raphael Russo Brown, often called Rafe is the boyfriend of Anna and remains with in all of the difficulties suffered by her because all the conditions had also been suffered by him. The erroneous and disturbed mental conditions of both members bring them to a unity and match. Thanks for your great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”