Romantic book/novel

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Megisa
Currently Reading: How to Shop For Free
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megisa.html
Latest Review: Thriving in the Storm by Bill Murphy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Icon Romantic book/novel

Post by Megisa »

What would make you not want to read a Romantic book/novel
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Essentially_Literate »

I wouldn't want to read a romance novel if it was entirely made up sex scenes. I mostly gravitate toward YA romances. I've read a few "adult" romance novels and they are usually pure smut. I like my books with in-depth plots and lots of character development.
coconutwhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by coconutwhite »

I wouldn't read a romance novel that has the insta-love thing, my face keeps cringing for days even if I have only been 4 pages in. I'm also not capable of reading any 'romantic novel' that're made of only and only sex. Call it erotica and be done with it.
Jacki Mac Iver Hill
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: the irrational mind
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacki-mac-iver-hill.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Jacki Mac Iver Hill »

coconutwhite wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 11:28 I wouldn't read a romance novel that has the insta-love thing, my face keeps cringing for days even if I have only been 4 pages in. I'm also not capable of reading any 'romantic novel' that're made of only and only sex. Call it erotica and be done with it.
I totally agree with you about the insta-love thing. That and a storyline where the heroine falls in love with the hero but thinks she's unworthy or she takes everything he does personally and offensively. But then it turns out at the end of the story (surprise!) he's always been in love with her too and they live happily ever after. Just shoot me already. :violence-shootself:
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...
You're right!”
:doh:
- Henry Ford

No amount of guilt can change the past.
No amount of anxiety can change the future.
:indubitablysmile:
Moses T Zulu

Post by Moses T Zulu »

Romantic books that are sex free are the best😙
stormy5438
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by stormy5438 »

I like books that have a strong plot. Weather it is a mystery, paranormal or adventure, what are the main characters trying to accomplish or gain. What danger is there to their love? What needs to be overcome or dealt with? The sex in between the building of the plot is icing on the cake and provide a stronger pull for the reader to become invested to see the course with the characters. Sex for the sake of sex in a book is the same as it is in life, empty and leaves you dissatisfied.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

First, if a book is poorly written, I will likely not finish it. I can only recall one book that I thought, "Dang, this writing is AWFUL" the entire time while still reading, but I continued because it was like Mystery Science Theater 3000 for me.

Second, if it doesn't seem believable, I don't want to read it. I don't mean realistic--if it is science-fiction or fantasy and there is an explanation for instant love, that's okay. I don't believe in love at first sight, but I do believe in attraction which can turn into love.

Third, if it is just sex... then it depends on the mood. But if I want to read nothing but sex scenes, I'll pick up an erotic short story. Now, I don't mind a few tastefully written scenes or ones that lead up to the actual act, but I don't need it to be graphic.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Hope_Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hope-queen.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hope_Queen »

Definitely if it only contains sex scene also if the book don't have correct story line
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

If the characters beat around the bush too much and only say yes to each other at the end it bores the hell out of me.
Amyrich

Post by Amyrich »

Romance novels without an interesting plot and good characterization, of course. But mostly, if there isn't enough friction/conflict between the protagonists, or if the woman (sorry, I've mostly only read hetero-oriented romances) is too passive/scared of the hero, I lose interest. I've started a fair few of them where the plot is soo contrived and the woman is under pressure to just give in to the hero's whims for no logical reason. Never really got around to finishing these, though.
Nwachukwu Rosemary 2

Post by Nwachukwu Rosemary 2 »

I so much love romantic novels a lot. The ones that have a happy ending.
Arkus0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Arkus0 »

I find that some romance books repeats the same old, same old. It becomes boring if there’s no change to the plot lines. This is probably why I’ve turned to translated Chinese romance novels. :techie-reference:
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I agree with many posts on this forum. Most specifically with the 'insta-love' part. Book that have this tend to annoy me and are the only ones that I don't push myself to finish reading. I find that books that have this concept tend to lack realistic character interactions, and have little to no character development. I love a book where I can really connect with a protagonist, and in romance novels this is especially important or else I find it impossible to 'fall in love' with the couple.

Romance novels are supposed to make you feel something.. so I would hope more authors would take the time to create characters that invoke emotions in the reader other than awkwardness and cringing. When I don't get any other feeling from the book, I tend to put it down.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I would say that if the plot is very unrealistic and it isn't a fantasy or paranormal romance book. Some modern romance books can be very far-fetched and that doesn't appeal to me. Or romance novels that have too many secondary characters and confusing plots.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

If the plot isn't well written or the main female lead is one of those screaming bimbos from the old horror movies. The stupidity that some books portray as the female lead makes me cry on the inside.
If the book doesn't at least have a good main character and editing I won't finish the first chapter.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”