Review by cyndisays -- Trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cyndisays
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: The Doom Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndisays.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by cyndisays -- Trip to Adele

Post by cyndisays »

[i][Following is a volunteer review of "Trip to Adele" by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer.][/i]

[rbc=3]id150103-125[/rbc]I rate this book at 3 out of 4.

I enjoyed this book very much. The author describes the areas in Morocco and Rome very nicely, Las Vegas was described quite accurately as well. The marketplace and dancers in Marakesh were described in great detail, I was able to picture them as I was reading, which gave life to the book. I have added Moracco to my bucket list.

I thoroughly enjoyed the characters in this book, identifying with Nadia the most. She is from Jordan, and devoted to her son. She is estranged from her husband, very courageous move considering where she is living. Her brother assists her as best he can, does not approve of all of Nadia’s choices. Adele is her son’s favorite entertainer, and Nadia’s comforter as she drives to and from work in Jordan. Nadia decides the perfect birthday gift to her son is to take him to Verona to see Adele in concert. Unfortunately her husband has other ideas and arranges a travel ban for her son so her cannot go. Nadia will not allow her husband’s antics to come between them and has a few tricks up her sleeve, which leave you cheering for her.

Elias is a character from Moracco, living in Rome. He also looks to Adele’s music for comfort. Elias decides to go to Moracco to look for his long lost love after eight years, and finds the answers to many questions troubling him over the years. Marika, the woman he is searching for, was only thirteen when they met, shocking Elias completely. Marika’s mother was prostituting Marika at the time, and Elias had to pay to spend time with Marika when they went for walks. Marika’s mother is in love with Elias, causing trouble in the form of a curse.

Yaser is the last of the main characters in this book, living in Las Vegas. He is having marital problems and feels a trip to Rome with his wife to attend the Adele concert will help the discord in his marriage. The trouble is, his wife isn’t convinced this is the answer. Yaser takes her rejection of the trip and decides to ask a friend/coworker. It doesn’t quite turn out to be the trip that saves his marriage, but does show Yaser the path he needs to take.
I wish the book had embellished on Nadia’s hardships. I believe it would have made her character all the stronger in the reader’s mind.

What I didn’t care for was the casual attitude for the travel to Verona, Italy. The characters did not mention any planning, costs, or with the exception of Nadia, travel documents. This is not realistic to the average person, or maybe just me.

This book has a few surprises in it. I wasn’t expecting the twists and turns in this book, but it all makes sense in the end. All in all a lovely book!

I rated this book 3 out of 4 only because the book needs editing. Punctuation and spelling are the primary concerns. They are few and far between, demonstrating the need for one more proofreading.

[i]Trip to Adele [/i]
View: [url=http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ?id=150103]on Bookshelves[/url] | [amazon=B0787HL5M6]on Amazon[/amazon]

[i]Like cyndisays's review? Post a comment saying so![/i]

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”