Romantic Suspense Review: A Necessary Deception by Lucy Farago

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Romantic Suspense Review: A Necessary Deception by Lucy Farago

Post by CaitlynLynch »

This was an intriguing romantic suspense with the hero not the usual action-guy type, but rather the team’s ‘tech geek’. Still army-trained and capable of holding his own physically, Monty knows his greatest strength is his brain. Taking an off-the-grid vacation on Alaska, he doesn’t expect to run into anyone, certainly not a beautiful woman he has to fish out of a creek.

Pursued by Russian thugs, online matchmaking agency boss Taylor Moore isn’t sure if she’s jumped from the frying pan into the fire with Monty. Eventually choosing to trust him, the two of them end up on the run through the wilderness, relying on each other’s wits and resourcefulness to stay alive.

I really liked that Monty wasn’t the he-man type and that Taylor got to do her fair share of rescuing even though she was very much out of her element. I did wonder how she could be quite so tech-challenged if she’d created the algorithms to make a successful matchmaking service, though I don’t know enough about the field to really make assumptions. It was a very minor quibble, though, much like a few typos and odd word choices I found sprinkled through this ARC which I hope would be corrected by the time the final version goes to publication.

Stuck together in a cabin in the wilderness is one of my favourite tropes when written well, with a slow build romance, and this one is done superbly. Though it’s part of a series, it reads very well as a standalone and I’d definitely be interested in reading more by this author. Five stars for a very good romantic suspense!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for review through NetGalley.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”