Official Review: Try to understand by Shri Nagesh

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Try to understand by Shri Nagesh

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Try to understand" by Shri Nagesh.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Try to understand is a romance novel authored by Shri Nagesh and published in 2017. It tells the story of a couple who met in college and fell in love with each other. The story takes a look at the challenges they had to surmount in order to remain together.

James’ extreme good looks and fashionable dress sense caused quite a stir in his school right from his very first day on campus. On the same day, he meets and falls in love with Mary, a very beautiful student with a love for photography. In time, they start a rather awkward romantic relationship. This does not go unnoticed by Linda, a lady in the same freshman class who has a crush on James. She tries to destroy the budding relationship several times and is forced to admit defeat when all her efforts prove unsuccessful. James also makes some mistakes that adversely affects their relationship, and he repeatedly tries to get Mary to understand him.

In all honesty, this book proved to be a very unappealing read. Every paragraph makes it glaringly obvious that the author does not speak or really understand English. A very large percentage of the sentences in the book are poorly constructed, and I had a really hard time trying to understand what the story was driving at. I had to read a lot of paragraphs several times over, trying to get a sense of the message being passed across. In addition, the use of punctuation marks was totally off target. Commas and semicolons were used excessively throughout the story, in places where they were absolutely not required.

Furthermore, the story was too descriptive. An example is chapter one which was mostly devoted to describing the hero’s good looks and fashion choices. These irrelevant descriptions make the story rather boring. Most of the events were unrealistic, such as having an entire class follow Linda around as she tries to cause a rift between the hero and heroine. I'm sorry, but I really cannot recommend this book to anyone.

I rate this book one out of four stars. I believe if the author should decide to rewrite this story in his first language or another language he understands well, he may end up telling a good story. He may then decide to have it professionally translated and edited if he would like to publish it again in English.

Try to understand
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds like a real battle. Well done for persevering. Apt that the name of the book is ‘Try to Understand’. 😊
Thanks for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bianka Walter wrote: 12 May 2018, 06:45 This sounds like a real battle. Well done for persevering. Apt that the name of the book is ‘Try to Understand’. 😊
Thanks for the review!
This comment had me chuckling.

The book made me remember the teen romances I devoured during my high school days. Perhaps the author would have a better chance with the YA crowd. But even then, the book has to be thoroughly edited. The youth may enjoy lighter plots, but they won't choose a difficult read over the many available entertainment options.

Supergirl1, you must have superpowers to have understood the message beneath the mess.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I always wonder what the intent was when an author decides to write a book and it falls flat. From your review it would sound like a language issue was the main obstacle to this being a good story, and with that going on the end result will never be good. Add to that a lack of dialogue and I’m out! Way to stick with the story the whole way through! And, does the title have anything to do with the actual story? What is the reader expected to understand?
Everything happens for a reason...
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SammiArch »

Thank you for the honest review. I especially appreciate that even though there was clearly many problems throughout the novel, at the end of your review you still suggested a solution instead of just criticism. I absolutely think your 1 star rating is justified and I agree that if you are going to write a book, it should be in your native language and then translated professionally.
Sammi Arch
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

By reading the review it seems that the book had poorly constructed sentences which kills lot of time reading and understanding the same. The author may rewrite the book by taking care of readers comfort in understanding his ideas.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

To be honest, the plot line doesn't sound that enthralling, even without all the other problems, but well done for batting through with it.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like that you argumented the one star very well. It doesn't sound like a book I will like either, especially if it has so many language problems. I think that it becomes really annoying and I wonder how you managed to finish such a book.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

The rating on its own discourages reading. The review confirms it. I wouldn't dare.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 12 May 2018, 06:45 This sounds like a real battle. Well done for persevering. Apt that the name of the book is ‘Try to Understand’. 😊
Thanks for the review!
Lol. Thank you Bianka.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 12 May 2018, 07:36
Thanks for the review!
This comment had me chuckling.

The book made me remember the teen romances I devoured during my high school days. Perhaps the author would have a better chance with the YA crowd. But even then, the book has to be thoroughly edited. The youth may enjoy lighter plots, but they won't choose a difficult read over the many available entertainment options.

Supergirl1, you must have superpowers to have understood the message beneath the mess.
I quite agree with you. Lighter plots are more likely to appeal to the young.

I have no superpowers, just a rather stubborn city girl.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

cpru68 wrote: 12 May 2018, 07:46 I always wonder what the intent was when an author decides to write a book and it falls flat. From your review it would sound like a language issue was the main obstacle to this being a good story, and with that going on the end result will never be good. Add to that a lack of dialogue and I’m out! Way to stick with the story the whole way through! And, does the title have anything to do with the actual story? What is the reader expected to understand?
I wonder too. Thanks for reading my review.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Libs_Books wrote: 12 May 2018, 12:07 To be honest, the plot line doesn't sound that enthralling, even without all the other problems, but well done for batting through with it.
Thank you.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I feel like it's very hard to get it right with romance. It's a very trite genre. Thank you for this review.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I have read about a million romance novels (I mean Nora Roberts alone has written a good chunk of those) ;)

Ok so not a million but enough to say I am a huge fan of romance novels; I really like YA and teen books too. I read a wider variety than that because there is a very familiar format used in a lot of romance novels and they can get a little dull when you feel like you know what will happen next and how it will end. This book sounds even more boring than just being too standard. It's hard to disappoint me in the realm of romance but I was disappointed right from the synopsis.

Thanks for saving us from this one. Supergirl is always saving people, who knew she'd save us from bad books.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”