Official Review: The Election by Landon Wallace

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: The Election by Landon Wallace

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Election" by Landon Wallace.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is a saying that there is only one happiness in life, which is to love and be loved. You will appreciate this byword more after you finish reading this book, The Election, written by Landon Wallace. It consists of a story about the political and love life of Senator Blake Buchanan. Blake is a Republican running for Texas Governor. He is married with two kids, but he and his wife are stuck in an unhappy marriage because of his political career. In order to win the primary election, Blake must overcome the obstacles put in his path by his formidable opponent, Attorney General Grace Striker.

During a fundraiser, Blake encounters Cat Alexander, an ex-girlfriend, whom he parted ways with twenty years ago, and an old flame is rekindled. Sustaining this love affair will mean Blake saying goodbye to his governorship race. Will he let Cat go? Will he win the election considering the insurmountable odds? Really, this narrative was worth my time. Its plot is fast paced, suspenseful, and full of dumbfounded and fascinating twists. Interestingly, the story revolves around politics and romance. In detail, it reveals the exciting and dramatic events in Senator Blake's political world. It unveils the strategies being employed by him and his opponent during their campaigns. Each of them being aided by their campaign staff.

Whereas this book explores other themes such as the outcomes of political ruthlessness and essence of family, its strongest theme is the power of love. Blake's love for Cat is so strong that, sometimes, he doesn't even think about the negative consequences of his actions. I think the author should have added more background information about the major characters to facilitate connection. However, the details provided about all the personae are still enough to relate to them. My favorite characters are Blake and Cat. Blake is good-natured, and unlike some successful politicians, he has a conscience. He is a man that always wants the best for his kids. Cat is a strong and understanding woman, who values her family and hence, subjects herself to an unhappy marriage.

Furthermore, the story ends on a cliffhanger. It'll be continued in the next novel, The Next Election. I can't wait to read it because I really enjoyed reading The Election. I didn't want it to end, and I was disappointed after I read a line and discovered it was the last sentence. In addition, a lesbian affair is included, but it is narrated superficially. There are no explicit sexual scenes. If you don't have interest in political matters, then this book is not for you. It may bore you.

Finally, this well-written narrative is exciting, thought-provoking, and gripping. It was well edited since I didn't find any errors in it. With delight, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it for fiction readers, who enjoy reading political thrillers mixed with romance.

The Election
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You lost me at political. Then you lost me again at cliffhanger. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one, but I'm really just not into any kind of fiction with politics. I have enough of that in my real life! Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 07:54 You lost me at political. Then you lost me again at cliffhanger. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one, but I'm really just not into any kind of fiction with politics. I have enough of that in my real life! Thanks for the review, though.
Lol! I understand. Thanks for stopping by. 😁
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Oh wow! I wanted to read this book, then I didn't, then I did, and now I don't really know. I'm going to add it to my to read list and may pick it up some time if I get a chance. I'm not big on political stories, but I love a good romance, but I'm not big on cliff hangers. In fact I've been trying to avoid books that have sequels lately. That's not to say that I won't read them. Your review definitely got me thinking that this book might be worth a shot. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Thanks for the disclaimer about this book not being for those not interested in politics. Sounds like it might make a great movie or tv show, but I prefer political storylines to be on screen. Great review. Thank you.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm not opposed to the political theme, although it's not my first choice. What I find most interesting is the love affair between Blake and Cat actually consisting of love (the sex-in-politics plot was not the least bit surprising). Thanks for a great review!
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

i am definitely reading this book. Thank you for this review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review! This book sounds like the evening news!! Your comments make me want to read this book and thanks for including the information on the sequel.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I am so going to read this! Thanks for the review, this is absolutely my kind of reading!

I added it to my want to read bookshelf and the site suggested me Fifty Shades of Grey? How about no.
Berry :wine:
lydiasmoot21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydiasmoot21.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by lydiasmoot21 »

I would read it just to see how it parallels with a real politican's life.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Thanks for your review, Rosemary! Political and romantic novels are not normally my thing, but this one does sound very well done.
[Maxx]
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by [Maxx] »

Political plots and sexy twists are irresistible! Your review sealed the deal, this is going on my list!
Jacob Ochieng
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jacob Ochieng »

It seems nice i should read it
kimaa1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by kimaa1998 »

Amazing stuff,,you have made me look for the book I just can't to wait to get started
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm not big into political novels, but it sounds like this one was really enjoyable. Glad you liked it so much!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”