Review by Farmgurl1 -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Farmgurl1 -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Farmgurl1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel Heartaches 3: Bad Boy Vibes by H.M. Irwing is the third book in the Bad Boy Vibes series about a girl named Anna Simmons and the disturbing life she is trying to overcome so that she can eventually find love and trust again. The series is in the romance genre.

The setting of the book takes place in the world of drug pushers and sex traffickers and all of the violence that type of world brings. We follow Anna and her lover Rafe as they set out on the quest to avenge the wrongs that have been done to them and others by the Preston family. Anna has had many unpleasant dealings with the Preston family over the years, that included her being raped and humiliated some years ago. Eric Dayton is another unsavory character in the book that has also wronged Anna. Anna is a broken girl who must learn to trust her instincts and Rafe to navigate through her abusive past and find her self-worth again.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was difficult for me to rate this book because it is the third installment in a series where each book builds on the next book. I don’t think the books are meant to be read out of succession. It was hard to play catch up to figure out how each character played into the story without having read the other books. However, the story was very intense and not just another “chick flick” romance novel. I enjoyed the idea that even though Anna had been through a tragic past, she was still able to be strong and not become a shattered victim.

The book contains some emotionally sensitive subjects that I felt the writer did a good job of covering without being overly insensitive to rape victims. I did not like some of the predictable scenes and the insinuation that Anna was at one time a fat girl who only found her self esteem by losing weight and dressing provocatively. There are a few errors that were a little distracting as well. For example, in Chapter 3 the scene is talking about Anna’s friend Suzi but uses Anna’s name by mistake, which was confusing.

In summary, I think the book would appeal to readers who really like the romance genre and aren’t offended by sex and violence being closely linked. Also, if you are sensitive to topics like rape, this would not be a good read for you. I would also recommend that the books be read in the intended succession.

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Farmgurl1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”