Official Review: Trouble Follows by Neil F. Martin

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Trouble Follows by Neil F. Martin

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trouble Follows" by Neil F. Martin.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Hernandez family seemed like any other wealthy, law-abiding family. Yet, the patriarch, Raul, was hiding a complex, criminal enterprise. Author, Neil Martin tells the story of a young couple’s escape from danger in Trouble Follows: Two Against the Mob (Angela and Nick Book 1.)

Nick moved to San Diego and took a job as a patent attorney. In his free time, Nick enjoyed flying planes, diving, and sailing. At the end of a tough sailboat race, Nick met the alluring Angela Hernandez. The two felt an instant attraction and began a passionate love affair. As Nick spent more time with the Hernandez family, he realized that he and Angela were in great danger. Nick and Angela found themselves in a fight for their love and survival.

This story rarely held my attention. The author was too descriptive in many insignificant areas, and important elements lacked much-needed detail. My mind wandered as the steps of landing an airplane were explained. Also, the details of Angela’s perfect body are given three times in the novel, but Nick is briefly described as being lean. This would be understandable if the story was told from Nick’s point of view, but it is not. This is a third-person account of the characters’ experiences. There is very little detail given for the villain’s motivation to be so evil. I waited in vain to learn why he was as despicable as the author described. Sadly, Nick and Angela’s intimacy is very mechanical and awkward. Furthermore, the dialogue between the characters is unbelievable. They use words that are inconsistent with the setting and situation. However, the characters grow and evolve throughout the story. They do what must be done to survive in each given situation.

This book has serious editing and organization issues. The full synopsis of the novel is given in the first pages of this book. The ending was spoiled for me before I started chapter one. Additionally, there is at least one grammar error in every chapter. These errors include missing, misspelled, and misplaced words and symbols. All of these issues make the book very difficult to read and enjoy.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. There are many editing and organization issues in this book. The romantic relationship between the main characters is too under-developed to be believable, and the suspense of the story was completely ruined by the opening synopsis. Nevertheless, fiction readers might find enjoyment in the growth of two young lovers fighting for survival.

Trouble Follows
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
karishmamohun2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by karishmamohun2 »

it is a nice story ...i just loved it
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I've read books like that before. Something you care nothing about is detailed step by step, but then the important things are just completely left out. I'm sorry you had to suffer through this one. I hope your next book is better!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

It's never fun to pick out a book and have the storyline fall completely apart. It sounds like the author needs to go back to the drawing board. Not necessarily scrap the main premise of the book, but work on dialogue and put in some brevity where things need to be tightened up a bit. Maybe a writing class would also help in some of these areas. This statement isn't made to make a person feel bad, but I have taken some classes on plot development or read a book or two on dialogue. This can do wonders for writing. Sorry to see that this one was not up to par, but I believe it could be if its given some reworking.
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

What a disappointing book. Don't you think it's odd that the sub-title "Two against the mob" - which is surely intended to make the book sound exciting - is so poorly displayed on the cover? Anyway, I enjoyed the quality of analysis in your review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This story will give us a taste of living the life of the filthy rich. I wonder why the author had to ruin the experience by spilling the beans early on. It seems trouble didn't follow but went ahead.
IBIBIEC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibibiec.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by IBIBIEC »

Dear reviewer you did a great job, I believe that been sincere about a book would help in the long wrong.
From this particular review, the author need to go and restrategies..... Nevertheless I celebrate the passion the author has for giving detailed explanation
agboola adenike
Currently Reading: White Witch
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by agboola adenike »

lack of the description on the needed side made it lack depth, full description makes readers have a full imagination of the contents
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Oh man, I'm sorry you got stuck with this book. You didn't even have the ending to look forward to since it was ruined in the first few pages!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”