Official Review: Highway to Love by Dani Burke

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Highway to Love by Dani Burke

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Highway to Love" by Dani Burke.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alexis Parker thinks she has landed a decent marriage prospect in her fiancé, Richard. In their relationship, she believes she has found substance, mutual respect, and friendship. Except, Richard’s close-mindedness and reserved nature put a damp on their love life; she holds on to their relationship hoping that their physical intimacy will get better once they marry. However, a chance encounter with the unbelievably handsome, generous, and charming Joe Baker leads her to question her real reasons for wanting to marry Richard. Alexis’ growing attraction for this new man in her life tests her emotions and moral beliefs. What will she do? Will she sweep these new exciting feelings under the rug and stay loyal to Richard, or give in to temptation and explore the possibilities of finding passionate love with Joe?

Highway to Love by Dani Burke is a romance novel that takes readers on a bumpy ride towards love and commitment. The narrative follows the lives of Alexis and her friend, Stephanie, as well as that of Joe and his friend and colleague, Mike.

Once I began reading the book, I felt involved in the characters’ lives. Their actions and decisions hurled me on an emotional rollercoaster. At times, I read the story with a smile on my face, and other times, I wore a frown. It is easy to say that I was invested and could not put the book down, even when I felt frustrated by the turn of events. The main characters in this narrative had imperfections and insecurities which complicated their relationships.

I started off liking Alexis because I thought she was mature and carried herself well. However, as the story progressed, she began to act like a damsel in distress, and what irked me most of all was that she could save herself but would rather someone else does it. When the rescue she envisioned doesn’t happen, and she is forced to do something about her situation, she throws a tantrum at having to do it herself. On top of that, at times, she appeared to be short-sighted, failing to see what was in front of her; she seemed to have no bearing on the negative impacts of some of her actions on those around her. My favorite character was Joe; I admired his patience and the lengths he would go to help out his friend.

Although the narrative is written in the third-person point of view, there were times it seemed to shift to the first-person without warning. These shifts were because, at times, the story switched to the characters’ inner monologues and thoughts. There was also repetition of words and phrases, such as ‘hot and bothered’ and ‘for God’s sake.’ Similarly, I found some grammatical errors, missing punctuation marks, and wordy sentences. This book would benefit from the services of a professional editor and wordsmith.

All in all, I enjoyed reading the narrative and the characters’ complicated love stories. I also appreciated the humor in some of the events that took place. The issues mentioned above did affect my experience, which is why I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this novel to fans of the genre.

Highway to Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not really a romance fan, but it does sound like it brings up some good issues about commitment. It's too bad that the author switches points of view without setting that off by italics or something similar. I'll be skipping this one, but thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I have to admit you made me curious about Alexis and her choices in love and life in general. Besides, I like the title and cover. I sometimes enjoy a good romance. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

It sounds like quite an unusual kind of Romance novel - it's not usually my genre, but I found your account of it intriguing, thanks.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

Alexis sounds like a very frustrating character to read about. It sounds like she doesn't have the strength of mind to make her own decisions and pursue the path she suspects will bring her the most happiness. I get so aggravated with characters like Alexis who just let others decide for them. They are the type to stay in a relationship as long as the other person doesn't end it. I think I will pass on this one. There doesn't seem to be anything particularly unique or compelling here. Thanks for the review though.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

The overall synopsis and your review of the plot make the book sound really interesting. However, I often struggle when I find myself not liking the main character or that I can no longer connect with them. It is good that this obviously didn't affect you too much but I ultimately think I will pass on this book.
Gsamour
Currently Reading: I'll Point to Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gsamour.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gsamour »

Thank you for your review! I love a novel that is able to combine romance with mystery and I feel like this book does a little bit of that by making you wonder what the characters are going to do! Alexis sounds just as frustrating as I did to myself in my own love life. This is definitely a book that sounds interesting!
AkieCJ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AkieCJ »

I'm not a romance fan. But i had to admit it really made me curious about alexis and her choice. And it sounds that it will brings up good ideas about commitment.
Blessed Taophic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Blessed Taophic »

Highway to Love by Dani Burke.

I'm looking forward to reading this novel. The characters displayed by both Richard and Joe will be amazing putting Alexis with no option than to rely on her instinct. I love this kind of romance,full of suspense and intriguing. Thumbs up for the reviw
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Even though I am over love triangles and damsels in distress, especially in Romance novels, I think I would enjoy this book! I will try it out when I get the chance.

Great review by the way :D
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

I am a romance novel fan but I prefer the main female character to be strong and a bad arse. I did enjoy your review and it provided enough of a description that I was able to know if this was a book I could read. Unforntuely, Ms. Alexis is not my type of heroine. Thank you for your review.
Ogunjeminiyi Adesewa
Currently Reading: Before the Storm
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Ogunjeminiyi Adesewa »

I think like this kind Of Romance but Alexis is a frustrating fellow.I liked her at the beginning of the book but as i continued she became annoying.Keep it up author.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I love reading reviews where a book was able to get the reader emotionally involved. Hopefully the author will take your suggestions to heart and release a cleaner version.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

I like that the book is engaging and your review is intriguing. Thanks.
Shaleen kirwa
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Shaleen kirwa »

I'm a fan of book of romance and according to your review, this story is intriguing. Gives us a clear clue of what to do when in such a dilemma. Alexis ought to follow her heart and make her own decisions for her to get the happiness she desires.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”