Review by Tzara Drusak -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Review by Tzara Drusak -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Tzara Drusak »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches 2, a romance novel by H.M. Irving, is an emotionally charged, vividly descriptive read. The second book in the Bad Boy Vibes series, it delves into the lives of Rafael Brown and Anna Simmons as they are faced with demons from their past and, with each acting as the other’s rock, follow a broken path of revenge, healing and love.

Anna Simmons is a survivor of rape and emotional abuse. Betrayed by the man she’d painted as the love of her life, and drugged to undergo a harrowing experience, she forms a kinship with a fellow ‘broken’ soul, Rafael ‘Rafe’ Brown. With the continued existence of their rapists the inescapable sword of Damocles in their life, the lovers decide to exact revenge in the hopes of meting out punishment and to prevent the similar victimization of another person by their enemies. With the aid of their friends, the two fight with a passion honed by treachery and love for the downfall of their foes. When a painful truth threatens to unravel their carefully constructed plans, Anna and Rafe must decide whether the strength of their togetherness is insurmountable or the combination of their brokenness will rip them apart.

H.M. Irving has created two broken people, tormented equally by living and phantom ghosts. The widely dominant theme of rape and abuse with all its accompanying effects, were, in my opinion, perfectly brought out in this novel, tying in with the characters’ interdependency and conflicting emotions. The idea of ‘broken’ souls forging a bond regardless of their background and probably because of this to last as ‘soulmates’ was also wonderfully conveyed.

One of the most interesting central points brought to life in this novel was the love-hate feelings experienced by victims of abuse with regards to their abusers. Both Anna and Rafe, despite having often negatively volatile responses at the mention of and in the presence of their rapists, still largely retain remnants of desire for their abusers. I thought this was a marvelous depiction of the dichotomous sentiments endured by abuse victims, notwithstanding how said victims feel contempt for themselves as a byproduct of these feelings.

At times, I felt that Anna and Rafe were mentally and emotionally conjoined twins. One separate from the other seemed to elicit in both a type of sanity deprivation visible in the incessant ramblings that pervaded the novel and seemed to constitute more than three fourths of the book. This caused the novel to have an apparent superficial quality because all that seemed to be discussed were Anna’s feelings for Rafe and Rafe’s feelings for Anna, rinse and repeat.

While reading Heartaches 2, I couldn’t help but admire the imagery broadcast in the novel, which appropriately assisted in the relating of the reader to the characters’ plights and emotions. I appreciated that, in spite of the contents of the above paragraph, perspectives from other characters were interspersed throughout the novel. Irving did so dexterously, choosing select momentous events in supporting character’s lives, such as Pat’s meeting with Dan and the subsequent prelude to his coming out to his parents. The cliffhanger reached the height of suspense, and undoubtedly roused my interest for the sequel.

Heartaches 2 was swamped with errors. From the prologue to the ending, there is a consistent presence of redundancies, omission of the articles ‘a’ and ‘the’, misspelling and misuse of words, overuse of ellipses and punctuation errors and an overall grammatical incorrectness. That being said, the writing style of Irving does not leave a lot to be desired, but the work seems to have not been properly edited, and so detracts from the finish of the novel.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. With the mentioned points in mind, I believe this is a suitable rating for Heartaches 2. I would recommend this to fans of dramatic, expressive books. I would not suggest it for readers who enjoy properly edited and event-rich novels.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tzara Drusak's review? Post a comment saying so!
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have read and written the review of Heartaches 2 by I.M Irwing. Anna Walters-Simmons acts as protagonist character in the story who suffered from cruelty, rapist and remorseless behaviors from her closely linked people. She is passing from a very poor condition full of grief but also trying to come back to its normal position with the desire of vengeance. Raphael Russo Brown, often called Rafe is the boyfriend of Anna and remains with in all of the difficulties suffered by her because all the conditions had also been suffered by him. The erroneous and disturbed mental conditions of both members bring them to a unity and match. Thanks for your great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”