Official Review: Sirius by A.L. Long

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Official Review: Sirius by A.L. Long

Post by k2rugman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sirius" by A.L. Long.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sirius: Hidden Truth by A.L. Long is a titillating tale of deception, lust, and romance. An NU student and a substitute professor’s lives collide in a mysterious world dripping with sex, lies, and even murder. Can they overcome their greatest obstacles and differences to enjoy a life together?

April Barnes is a Northwestern University student who works hard for her grades. Her best friend and roommate asks April to cover her shift waitressing a private party. The seemingly normal party is anything but normal. After witnessing several guests disappear behind a heavy wooden door, April’s curiosity gets the better of her and she sneaks in. She is then introduced to a whole different world by a masked man she is commanded to address as “Sir”. Dominic Prescott is a mysterious university substitute teacher with many secrets that shroud his life. His intense attraction to April causes him to do whatever it takes to be with her. However, a dangerous character threatens to tear them apart.

I didn’t enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. Sure, the sex scenes were exciting but they were also a little gross. April had little to no say in whether or not she actually wanted to have sex with this mystery guy. He just grabbed her, commanded her to do this and that, and if she moved or spoke he would slap her. I understand in the BDSM world there is that kind of behavior, but consent is priority in any kind of intimate situation, and I felt that April wasn’t always listened to.

There were a ton of clichés which caused me to roll my eyes on a number of occasions. Despite the clichés, this book was relatively well written. I only noticed one grammatical error which did not detract from my reading experience. The chapters were short which made reading easy and quick. The characters were relatively well rounded and likeable. The story did feel quite rushed with some inconsistencies. This book was less than 200 pages; more explanatory scenes would do a lot to help the story feel more complete.

I give Sirius: Hidden Truth by A.L. Long 2 out of 4 stars. There were a lot of things in the story that didn’t really make sense to me. The nature of their relationship made it really hard for me to believe that April would be okay with even being with Sirius. In one sentence she would state that she trusts him completely and then in literally the next sentence she would say she questioned her trust in him. I would willingly give it three stars if some of the content was refined. I feel that most anyone who enjoys the romance genre would like this book. Readers should be aware that there are some BDSM scenes and those who do not like that genre might not enjoy this book.

Sirius
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like k2rugman's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Ah, great review! I judge books by the cover and I would not have selected to read this book on the cover. Erotica is not my thing and I totally agree with you that the seeming lack of consent is really off-putting
Apple_za1ra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-za1ra.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Apple_za1ra »

I was really impressed by your summary. When I read that I thought you were going to say you liked the book, so when you said you didn't I felt that further developed your ability to fairly judge and critique a book. Erotica is definitely not my thing, so I'm glad you were very clear about the genre in your review. I thought the cover of the book was interesting and might've fit under sci-fi, but clearly that was not the case. Clearly I should've looked more closely.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:

Post by k2rugman »

I was a little surprised myself! I knew it was a romance but the initial summary said nothing about the BDSM aspect which I don't really enjoy. Glad my review could help!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The summary is impressive enough that made me want to read it but for some reason it sounded like 50 shades of gray to me,don't no why!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
k2rugman
Currently Reading:

Post by k2rugman »

I haven't read 50 shades myself, but from what I've heard about it I actually had the same thought while I was reading this book!
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

thanks for the review,you've helped shed light on the book content.sounds like the book is full of mystery however the erotica is also a deal breaker for me.this makes this read a no..no.. for me
k2rugman
Currently Reading:

Post by k2rugman »

Yeah I wish the initial book summary had been a bit more clear on the content. The erotica was a bit much for me.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

The title drew me, since I really like the name Sirius. However, after reading the review, I have to say that this is not the book for me. Still, thanks for sharing your thoughts about this.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Thanks for the review. I probably won't read it. It's not my cup of tea.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”