Official Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Official Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by inaramid »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Purgatory's Angel" by B Hughes-Millman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

B. Hughes-Millman’s paranormal romance, Purgatory’s Angel, explores a disturbingly dark premise: Our inner demons run rampant in our dreams, and they can kill in our sleep. In the planes beyond consciousness, the most depraved sides of people manifest in some form, creating a nightmare from which there can be no awakening.

Jaime Connor is a dark angel. When she falls asleep each night, she is thrust into the demons’ hunting grounds, their victims’ dreams, where she must either kill or be killed. Without Jaime’s intercession, the victims could die in real life, “the cause of death precise to how they died in their dreams.” Jaime has been at this for decades, but tragedy after tragedy has made her cynical and self-destructive. One morning, she wakes up injured from one of her nightly battles, unable to recall all the details of the dream she’d been in. To complicate matters, the impossibly gorgeous demon she thought she had killed shows up in her workplace. His name is Collin Leary, an Irishman, and his interest in Jaime feels both ominous and exhilarating. Is he trying to kill her? Shouldn’t she kill him? Will her attraction to this enemy be her undoing? And if so, would death be such a bad thing?

Purgatory’s Angel offers a fascinating spin on the mythos of angels and demons, situating a tightly knit plot in the realm of dreams. The parameters surrounding Jaime’s powers, the demons’ abilities, the dream world, and everything else in between are defined clearly. Through Jaime’s perspective, these supernatural elements are slowly revealed as the story unfolds, allowing readers to get immersed in Jaime’s and Collin’s storylines without being alienated or overwhelmed.

The romance between Jaime and Collin is riveting, as Jaime’s desire for Collin goes far beyond the physical. There’s chemistry here, but a darker element underpins the attraction: Jaime’s pervasive longing for her own demise. Readers who dislike insta-love scenarios might balk at Jaime’s internal monologues during the early chapters, as she often alternates between wanting to “slit [Collin’s] throat” or “fervently kiss him.” However, a deeper connection between the two is revealed towards the end, partly explaining plot points that might not make a lot of sense at the beginning. There’s destiny at work here, which seemed like too much of a stretch when it was revealed, but it tied in well with Jaime’s backstory. An additional romantic aspect between Jaime and another character is also explored, so readers who enjoy love triangles will find the middle portions of the book quite entertaining.

Jaime’s torturous existence is portrayed in graphic detail. Her internal turmoil aside, the things she had endured—and continue to endure on a nightly basis—are not for the weak of heart…or stomach. Readers who may be triggered by mentions and depictions of rape and other forms of sexual assault should stay away from this book. Torture, aggression, and violence also abound, the gruesomeness intensifying with each chapter. While gratuitous at times, there’s a disquieting truth behind these morbid situations. After all, what acts have the “demons” in the story committed—be it rape, torture, or murder—that a regular human being hasn’t done in real life?

On the technical side of things, there are a few typographical errors sprinkled throughout the work, usually involving the erroneous use of words (e.g., undue instead of undo, hick-ups instead of hiccups, pour over instead of pore over). That said, the copy I got was an uncorrected proof, so these problems might have been rectified in the final version. There are also a few details that aren’t as well-established as could be. Jaime’s photographic memory, for instance, is mentioned so suddenly towards the end of the book that it almost felt like an afterthought.

While I find the worldbuilding satisfactory, the timeline seems a bit off. Jaime descended to earth after an epic battle in heaven that ended in Lucifer’s fall. This implies that Jaime should be older, practically ancient if this were the case. However, she reveals that she’s 70 years old but apparently retains the appearance of a young woman in her mid-20s. She reminisces about crucial events that took place when she was 11 and 15, suggesting that her body ages normally. Jaime had parents and a grandmother, but whether they retained their youth isn’t clear to me. Perhaps these inconsistencies will be addressed in the next book in the series.

Purgatory’s Angel scores high for its ingenious premise, compelling storylines, and a strong heroine, but because of the typos and the confusing timeline, I give it a final rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to fans of dark paranormal romance and mature readers who won’t be turned off by the book’s violence and explicit contents. I do have to mention that religious figures like Jesus Christ are embedded in the story’s lore, so readers who take an issue with this might want to give this book a pass.

Purgatory's Angel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like inaramid's review? Post a comment saying so!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

This sounded great until I got to the part about the gratuitous scenes of rape, torture, and murder. I can take a lot in a book, but when it becomes too cringe-worthy I typically will reconsider finishing. Great review! Thank you :)
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Thanks for the warning! I’m not a fan of gruesome, violent content. I appreciate your thorough review.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is an interesting premise. Our inner demons can kill us while we sleep. It's quite disturbing. As unique as this sounds, I'm afraid I would be greatly put off by the graphic content. So, I don't think I'll read this one, but I'm glad that you found it enjoyable. The review was nice.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

I love your review, and the book sounds like a really excellent concept - what a shame, though, about the violence you describe, because that would totally put me off :(
naicme32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naicme32.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Post by naicme32 »

I like supernatural stuff.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

Sounds interesting! Thanks for the review! I'll be putting this on my Want to Read shelf!
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
Mfonobong Bassey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mfonobong Bassey »

amazing story,i like dark paranormal novel. And Great Review
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Thanks for dropping by, everyone!
Christina Rose wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 23:46 This sounded great until I got to the part about the gratuitous scenes of rape, torture, and murder. I can take a lot in a book, but when it becomes too cringe-worthy I typically will reconsider finishing. Great review! Thank you :)
It really does depend on how much a reader can take. :) Maybe being prepared might make it a lot easier for some.

stacie k wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 00:43 Thanks for the warning! I’m not a fan of gruesome, violent content. I appreciate your thorough review.
Thank you, too, stacie! I hope the information above helped in your decision.

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 07:21 This is an interesting premise. Our inner demons can kill us while we sleep. It's quite disturbing. As unique as this sounds, I'm afraid I would be greatly put off by the graphic content. So, I don't think I'll read this one, but I'm glad that you found it enjoyable. The review was nice.
I did like the concept very much. It might not be for everyone though.

londonmartine wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:24 I love your review, and the book sounds like a really excellent concept - what a shame, though, about the violence you describe, because that would totally put me off :(
Yes, I thought it was a great concept - just maybe too violent for some.

naicme32 wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 13:46 I like supernatural stuff.
Me too! :)

MollyEnter wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 01:31 Sounds interesting! Thanks for the review! I'll be putting this on my Want to Read shelf!
Thanks, Molly! I hope you enjoy it too.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Mfonobong Bassey wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 06:29 amazing story,i like dark paranormal novel. And Great Review
Thanks for dropping by, Mfonobong Bassey! I hope you enjoy this book.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for an interesting, thorough review! Paranormal themes are not my cup of tea. Add in rape and tortune, and the book doesn't sound like it's for me. Still, I am glad you were able to appreciate the creative premise and interesting plot.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

bookowlie wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 10:55 Paranormal themes are not my cup of tea. Add in rape and tortune, and the book doesn't sound like it's for me.
With you on that one, bookowlie. Still, inaramid, if anything could persuade me to read that book, it would be your review.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

bookowlie wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 10:55 Thanks for an interesting, thorough review! Paranormal themes are not my cup of tea. Add in rape and tortune, and the book doesn't sound like it's for me. Still, I am glad you were able to appreciate the creative premise and interesting plot.
True. It's really the premise that made this book work for me. It just isn't for everyone.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Libs_Books wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 11:30
bookowlie wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 10:55 Paranormal themes are not my cup of tea. Add in rape and tortune, and the book doesn't sound like it's for me.
With you on that one, bookowlie. Still, inaramid, if anything could persuade me to read that book, it would be your review.
Ha ha, thanks Libs_Books! Looking forward to your future reviews as well. :)
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I feel like this "dark angel" character is new, or at least new to me! Thanks for this review, as a fantasy geek, I'm putting this one on my list!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”