Official Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALFRED Mamun
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by ALFRED Mamun »

Sounds...interesting. Hope it’s published soon and would love seeing a movie version of this. I like reading and relating the books to movies made out of its storyline...It’s surely would be a Great book for supernatural fans...keep it up
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

NL Hartje wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 00:50 I feel like this "dark angel" character is new, or at least new to me! Thanks for this review, as a fantasy geek, I'm putting this one on my list!
It's really more of a spin on the concept of "fallen angels," but it's the power to fight demons in people's dreams that was new to me. :)
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

ALFRED Mamun wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 01:06 Sounds...interesting. Hope it’s published soon and would love seeing a movie version of this. I like reading and relating the books to movies made out of its storyline...It’s surely would be a Great book for supernatural fans...keep it up
Welcome to the site, ALFRED Mamun! This book is published, just that the copy given for review is an uncorrected proof. You can follow the link below the review to go to the Amazon page of the book. :)
DonnaHahn67
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by DonnaHahn67 »

i was okay at first.. until it started getting darker. i love supernatural things.. and this author is a great writer because i had goosebumps while reading it
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

If done correctly, paranormal books can be really fun to immerse yourself into a completely different world. I find that my enjoyment completely hinges on the ability of the author to create a believable alternate reality that has no plot holes or glaring inconsistencies. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood and Moning's Fever series both do that perfectly...I'm not entirely convinced that this is the case with this book. I might be temped to pick it up if it was offered on Kindle Unlimited, but I don't see myself shelling out cash to read it.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

CommMayo wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:32 If done correctly, paranormal books can be really fun to immerse yourself into a completely different world. I find that my enjoyment completely hinges on the ability of the author to create a believable alternate reality that has no plot holes or glaring inconsistencies. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood and Moning's Fever series both do that perfectly...I'm not entirely convinced that this is the case with this book. I might be temped to pick it up if it was offered on Kindle Unlimited, but I don't see myself shelling out cash to read it.
I agree! The one thing that I enjoyed was the premise, but the timeline does seem off to me--and if this were the case, one major plotline will not make any sense at all. However, I did like it enough to know what happens next. I'm hoping the next book will address these inconsistencies, and if not, then that's that.

I've been holding out on the Black Dagger Brotherhood for a while now. Maybe it really is time to check it out. Thanks, CommMayo!
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

DonnaHahn67 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:10 i was okay at first.. until it started getting darker. i love supernatural things.. and this author is a great writer because i had goosebumps while reading it
Thanks for dropping by, Donna! The story does get darker. And more violent. I cannot stress this enough. :) It's also a romance novel, though. Best not to forget that.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Paranormal romances are often either great or just terrible. Reading your review I'm not sure which side of the divide this book falls on. Maybe both, with an interesting plot but horrid logic?
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

qsusan wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 14:46 Paranormal romances are often either great or just terrible. Reading your review I'm not sure which side of the divide this book falls on. Maybe both, with an interesting plot but horrid logic?
You can say it sits in that gray area between "Wow, what a unique premise!" and "But wait, something's not right here." If this were a standalone book, it would have been less cohesive--and as a result, less pleasant to read.

Thanks for commenting, qsusan!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's an interesting paranormal story with the element of romance. Thanks for your comprehensive review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Oh my goodness. I love fantasy and paranormal/sci-fi reads. Add some romance and I'm totally in. This sounds like a very interesting book, although incredibly dark at times. Thank you for the review! I will totally be adding this to my shelves lol
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
Taurus_27496
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taurus-27496.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Taurus_27496 »

Really like how the review is detailed and at the same me time does not give any major spoilers. Thank you
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I enjoy a dark paranormal romance with an interesting storyline, and a strong heroine. Thanks for the thorough and candid review.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A dark paranormal romance revolving around a fight between demons and angels that take place in our dreams sounds intriguing! The developed romance between Jaime, the dark angle, and Collin, the demon, raises the stakes, but I am not fond of love triangles or graphic content. Too bad about the slow start, the inconsistencies, and the typographical errors. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I absolutely cannot stand paranormal, but how cool is this premise. I'm about to eat my hat. You have made the summary sound really interesting and even with the rookie mistakes, I think I could still find pleasure in this book. It does sound busy though.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”