Official Review: When We Swing by Kyla Ross

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: When We Swing by Kyla Ross

Post by Haute_Coffee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When We Swing" by Kyla Ross.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Casey cheats on her husband Mark, his friends are there for him. They offer support, advice, and the idea of having a swing with their wives. What could go wrong?

When We Swing tells a story about a group of friends made up of three couples. The men, led by the rich and cocky Blain, are old fraternity brothers who each seemingly marry the woman of their dreams. Over the years, each of their marriages begins to fray, due to a lot of affairs, secrets, and lies. The men make a decision, masterminded by Blain, to breathe life back into their flailing relationships by swinging.

Because nothing fixes the problem of sex outside of marriage like more sex outside of marriage. Obviously.

Each of the characters has different motives for the swing. Blain appears out for a good time, while Mark is trying to overcome the pain of his wife's affair. John seems in need of an outlet for his anger and a secret fetish that is slowly taking over his life. As for the wives, they are just as all over the map. Casey cannot seem to find a way to break down her husband's walls, Lilian has been coveting another man since their college days, and Roxie... poor Roxie is so desperate to keep her husband's interest that she will do whatever he asks, even if it means sharing him with another woman.

Unsurprisingly, with three unstable couples who are all on different pages, the swing causes a lot of new problems without solving even one. The novel rotates among all the characters so we can get a glimpse into their thoughts and feelings towards each other- and it isn't pretty. All six are all hiding secrets and hatching private plans, forming a Rubik's cube of deception and betrayal. As the story progresses, the plot twists become more and more surprising until this well-paced story finally reaches a shocking conclusion.

This novel was really well-written and had the kind of tension that keeps you turning pages, eager to find out what happens next. It keeps the reader guessing, and you never know if the next chapter will bring about another betrayal, reveal another secret, or be another bout of intense sex. It really is more of a thriller than a traditional romance; a spine-chiller sprinkled with erotic scenes. Most of the characters are devious and difficult to like, so if you are looking for a protagonist you can really connect with or a flowery and epic romance, keep looking. However, if you enjoy fast-paced, mysterious thrillers, with a lot of dark elements thrown in, this is a great choice.

I gave When We Swing 3 out of 4 stars. The pace and all the plot twist really kept me interested. Be aware, however, that there is a fair amount of violence in this book. There are rapes and physical assaults, and it can get pretty gory at some places. If this kind of subject material bothers you, stay away because it's a recurring theme in this novel. It serves its purpose to the plot and isn't gratuitous. If you aren't bothered by that kind of darker material, don't miss this one. It was the first novel I have read by author Kyla Ross, and I guarantee you that it will not be my last.

When We Swing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Haute_Coffee's review? Post a comment saying so!
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

''Because nothing fixes the problem of sex outside of marriage like more sex outside of marriage. Obviously.''
Truly the artistic way of saying it. Loved your review. You've made it sound interesting enough. I look forward to reading the book.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

What a fascinating review! Quite rare to find erotic scenes well-written, but I'll take your word for it. It sounds like a very adult book - and not just because of the dark content. I like the idea of using a range of characters "hiding secrets and hatching private plans", but the violence would be a bit of a turn-off for me.
Haute_Coffee

Post by Haute_Coffee »

It does get violent, mostly near the end. I don’t care for violence either but I’m a big fan of thrillers and horror and we all know that’s often involved in the plots. It was a great book though. Thanks for reading.
Haute_Coffee

Post by Haute_Coffee »

ADE_96 wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 08:34 ''Because nothing fixes the problem of sex outside of marriage like more sex outside of marriage. Obviously.''
Truly the artistic way of saying it. Loved your review. You've made it sound interesting enough. I look forward to reading the book.
Thanks! Come back and tell me what you thought after, I’d love to hear
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

This is definitely an interesting premise for a novel! I'll probably have to give it a pass since I love nothing more than to see positive growth in characters. In this book, it seems like the character growth is anything put positive.
Haute_Coffee

Post by Haute_Coffee »

ViziVoir wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 20:48 This is definitely an interesting premise for a novel! I'll probably have to give it a pass since I love nothing more than to see positive growth in characters. In this book, it seems like the character growth is anything put positive.
Lol no, I would say the characters actually all learned negative things about themselves and had to face their personality flaws and mistakes. It was kind of about the darker side of human character.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Haute_Coffee wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 23:18
ViziVoir wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 20:48 This is definitely an interesting premise for a novel! I'll probably have to give it a pass since I love nothing more than to see positive growth in characters. In this book, it seems like the character growth is anything put positive.
Lol no, I would say the characters actually all learned negative things about themselves and had to face their personality flaws and mistakes. It was kind of about the darker side of human character.
Ah, okay! I interpreted your review to mean that they all fell prey to their personal flaws more and more as time went on. I'm glad that wasn't the case, it didn't sound like a very satisfying way to conclude a novel!
SeeHopeRead
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seehoperead.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by SeeHopeRead »

You had me at, “...a Rubik’s cube of deception and betrayal.” Sounds like the kind of story that makes the reader feel like a sadistic observer, watching all the characters suffer for their own satisfaction. I’m usually into the sweet, romantic variety of erotica, but I could see myself trying this when I’m in a dark mood. Thanks for sharing your brilliant remarks! The review alone was a fun read.
Haute_Coffee

Post by Haute_Coffee »

SeeHopeRead wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 01:00 You had me at, “...a Rubik’s cube of deception and betrayal.” Sounds like the kind of story that makes the reader feel like a sadistic observer, watching all the characters suffer for their own satisfaction. I’m usually into the sweet, romantic variety of erotica, but I could see myself trying this when I’m in a dark mood. Thanks for sharing your brilliant remarks! The review alone was a fun read.
Thank you! And yes it definitely had a voyeuristic quality to it!
Haute_Coffee

Post by Haute_Coffee »

ViziVoir wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 23:49
Haute_Coffee wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 23:18
ViziVoir wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 20:48
Ah, okay! I interpreted your review to mean that they all fell prey to their personal flaws more and more as time went on. I'm glad that wasn't the case, it didn't sound like a very satisfying way to conclude a novel!

You are right, it was that way for some of them. I guess just like in life, some people can accept what they’ve done wrong and some people will ignore it and keep getting themselves in deeper.
Frankitrll
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Frankitrll »

I think this game of cheating will never end.I believe love is supposed to be accompanied by contentment for example sexual contentment.
Youngv1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Youngv1 »

definitely looking forward to reading this book.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”