Official Review: Tale of Tala by Chaker Khazaal

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Tale of Tala by Chaker Khazaal

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tale of Tala" by Chaker Khazaal.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Henry, a bestseller New York writer, was born into a powerful and wealthy family. He was born a winner. He was an outstanding student, studied business at Columbia University, and dated who his father told him to. After his father dies, Henry is free to pursue his dream of writing books. Like the winner he is, he becomes a successful writer. His last book, however, is a total flop. On top of that, his mother dies. Not knowing how to deal with defeat and grief, Henry takes off to Europe, where he engages in depraved and sadistic behavior. He does things he has never done before: cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, and rough sex. He enjoys inflicting fear and pain on prostitutes. Tala, a beautiful and deceptive Palestinian prostitute who used to be a refugee in Lebanon, is fearless in the face of Henry's abuse. Her attitude intrigues him. Tala tells him the story of her life and how she became a prostitute. After hearing her story of survival, Henry falls in love with her. What is more, he is determined to do whatever is necessary to win the heart of this astute prostitute.

Written by Chaker Khazaal, Tale of Tala is a romantic thriller consisting of 346 pages. Khazaal is a Palestinian-Canadian author and journalist renowned for his work on the refugee crisis and the Middle East. He brilliantly discusses the refugee crisis, the war in the Middle East, displacement, human trafficking, and prostitution in this book. Without a doubt, this is a contemporary, controversial, and eye-opening story. Khazaal's writing style is authentic, intriguing, and mind-blowing.

What I liked the most about this book was Khazaal's fearlessness in portraying current world issues through fiction. He created primary and secondary characters who echo the cruel reality thousands of people live at the present time. Tala represents the incredible and arduous journey of survival the refugees take to escape war and seek a better life. Dana and Shireen show the dangers the refugees encounter during the journey. Bilal exemplifies what happens to many young men in the Middle East. Abu Ali, Nazar, and Dimitrij embody the scum of this planet. Henry, meanwhile, personifies privilege in the midst of a harsh world.

Another aspect I appreciated about Tale of Tala was that it is, more than anything, a story about what human beings are capable of doing for survival. Khazaal did not create a rosy picture of the refugee crisis and the war in the Middle East. Most of the characters in this story are flawed. They do what they need to do in order to survive or get what they want. They abuse, lie, sabotage, scheme, rape, and kill. In other words, Khazaal depicts the human condition in its darkest moments. Even though I appreciated Khazaal's authenticity, I did not like how disgusting and sadistic Henry becomes after his book is a flop and his mother dies. Those scenes were hard to read and felt a tad gratuitous. In addition, his sudden changes of behavior confused me.

I rate Tale of Tala by Chaker Khazaal 4 out of 4 stars because it discusses significant current world issues and the characters represent the human condition. Furthermore, Khazaal's writing is brilliant and authentic. I did not find grammatical errors in the book. Note that this story contains strong sexual content, alcohol and drug usage, violence, and subjects that are not suitable for the faint of heart. This is not a book for sensitive readers. I mainly recommend it to those who like reading and learning about current historical events and other cultures. I would also recommend the book to readers of romantic thrillers.

Tale of Tala
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Lady Loch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-loch.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing
Reading Device: pdf

Post by Lady Loch »

I personally hate stories depicting grim images and scenes, yet I found the storyline interesting. The author gave the story a bright and compelling side by giving the male protagonist the chance to change and fall in love despite the tragedy that he experienced and the man that he became after all those afflictions.
Thanks for this informative review :)
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

The concept of the book is about the generic yet overlooked ghastly human nature with a well organized plot according to your commendable review! Though gruesome, emotionally robust individuals will cultivate a more satisfying experience out of it.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The plot is a blast! I just love it. It's very captivating despite the traumas. The plot seem to give away a lot action and thriller. Definitely on my list. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Yudae_The Monarch_ wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 05:40 I personally hate stories depicting grim images and scenes, yet I found the storyline interesting. The author gave the story a bright and compelling side by giving the male protagonist the chance to change and fall in love despite the tragedy that he experienced and the man that he became after all those afflictions.

I understand. I usually do not like stories with gruesome scenes. However, I understand the necessity of the scenes when these are based on historical events. This story is fictional but it is based on current historical events. The author visits the Middle East and refugee camps. In fact, he used to be a refugee. It is an eye-opening book.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Last edited by Yoli García on 03 Mar 2018, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

prettysmart wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 13:13 The concept of the book is about the generic yet overlooked ghastly human nature with a well organized plot according to your commendable review! Though gruesome, emotionally robust individuals will cultivate a more satisfying experience out of it.
Yes, this is not a book for sensitive readers. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 21:04 The plot is a blast! I just love it. It's very captivating despite the traumas. The plot seem to give away a lot action and thriller. Definitely on my list. Thank you!
The plot is a thrilling ride. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Lady Loch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-loch.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing
Reading Device: pdf

Post by Lady Loch »

Yolimari wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 08:01
Yudae_The Monarch_ wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 05:40 I personally hate stories depicting grim images and scenes, yet I found the storyline interesting. The author gave the story a bright and compelling side by giving the male protagonist the chance to change and fall in love despite the tragedy that he experienced and the man that he became after all those afflictions.

I understand. I usually do not like stories with gruesome scenes. However, I understand the necessity of the scenes when these are based on historical events. This story is fictional but it is based on current historical events. The author visits the Middle East and refugee camps. In fact, he used to be a refugee. It is an eye-opening book.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Oh I see. I understand your point. And what you said about the author having been a refugee himself is quite astonishing. What a mind-blowing reveal. Very enlightening. Thank you!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I really enjoyed your review. It was very thorough and informative. This book sounds really interesting. I think I'll be trying this one. Thanks again for your review!
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

KFree_Reads wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 19:31 I really enjoyed your review. It was very thorough and informative. This book sounds really interesting. I think I'll be trying this one. Thanks again for your review!
It is an excellent book! I will read more books by Khazaal. Yes, try it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Yolimari wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 06:29
KFree_Reads wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 19:31 I really enjoyed your review. It was very thorough and informative. This book sounds really interesting. I think I'll be trying this one. Thanks again for your review!
It is an excellent book! I will read more books by Khazaal. Yes, try it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
You're welcome! :)
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I have always liked learning more about history through fiction that is non-pedantic.
I believe that humas are both the most selfless of creatures and the most selfish ones. Sometimes both sides of humans show in the same person. Will this book reflect that?
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Yes, the main characters are flawed. However, both have selfish and selfless qualities. It is a book about understanding people when they need to survive.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
mariettav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariettav.html
Latest Review: Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

Post by mariettav »

Thank you for the review. Having worked with refugees from the middle east I am aware of the crises and the hardships. I would like to read this book, it sounds exciting and interesting!
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

mariettav wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 18:14 Thank you for the review. Having worked with refugees from the middle east I am aware of the crises and the hardships. I would like to read this book, it sounds exciting and interesting!
Sounds like this is an excellent read for you. Hope you like it. Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”