Official Review: Lover's Curse by Ruthie L Manier

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Lover's Curse by Ruthie L Manier

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lover's Curse" by Ruthie L Manier.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Carra can only remember the last seven years of her life. She struggled with her amnesia at first, but she was able to create a life for herself and make friends. She's out with those same friends one night when a dark and mysterious man catches her attention. She feels a gravitational pull to him, his gaze seemingly seeing right through her. Carra isn't sure whether he's there to claim her as his own, or whether he's a part of her forgotten past that she should be running from. The only thing she knows is that he's ridiculously hot and handsome!

This is the basis behind Ruthie L. Manier's first book, Lover's Curse. Lover's Curse is the first book in a trilogy, but it does not read that way. Manier throws around made-up words and expects the reader to understand them with little explanation. Her characters are called Va'atacos and Suntanics, but they're basically vampires. I'm not sure if the book was purposefully written to make the readers understand things as Carra remembered them, but the lack of explanation and the assumption that we would be able to keep up was one of my biggest pet peeves with this book. I had a hard time believing that this was really the first book in the series.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the only major problem with Lover's Curse. The book is in desperate need of an editor. There are typos, grammatical problems, and a distinct lack of continuity in the author's writing style. I thought I liked Carra as a character, but the more time she spent around Dark Eyes, the more she started to sound like a female dog in heat. I was honestly disgusted by the way Dark Eyes referred to her at times. I thought about giving the novel up because I wasn't enjoying it at all, but I had already read over 60%, so I decided to just trudge on and see if it got any better.

The idea for the book and the way things came together in the end wasn't actually all that bad. I'm not sure if it was very original or not, but things made sense and loose ends were wrapped up. Unfortunately, that's all the praise I have. My complaints far outweigh the compliments I could give.

In the end, I can only give Lover's Curse 1 out of 4 stars. I can't remember the last time I've given such a low rating, but I feel like Manier could have fleshed out the novel more and at the very least made sure it was edited properly. As it is, the novel I received felt sloppy and immature compared to the novel it could have become. I don't think I'll be recommending it to anyone, and I definitely will not be reading the other two books in the Hemocil Society series. Lover's Curse was a real disappointment and I'm just glad that it was a quick read, because I don't think I would have been able to finish it if it were any longer.

Lover's Curse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I am sorry! I kinda got disturbed by your account on Carra been around Dark Eyes like she is a stalking hawk and the way Dark Eyes referred to Carra. Made me wonder why? I am sorry, I don't think this book is for me. Thank you for the details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I am curious about her amnesia. Where did it come from? Does it resolve. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like I want to read the book to find out. Thanks for the great information. I'll be avoiding this one for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

From your review, I can see that there are too many unanswered questions in the storyline. I will gladly pass on this one.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

If a new species of sub-species is introduced into a book, the reader has to understand what they are and how they function! It feels very lazy to leave that information out. I'll also have to pass on this one, it sounds like an out right mess.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Oh man! I'm sorry that that book was so terrible to read. I hate having to write such negative reviews, but you did it justice! Quick, pick up some Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward to get that crappy vampire romance cleared out of your brain!
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

I’m sorry the book was not fun to read, but glad you finished it so you could write a review for the rest of us! I’ll skip this one.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I’m usually a fan of supernatural romance, but it sounds like this one could use some work. I definitely prefer when authors are informative about their fantasy worlds, especially when they’re able to do so without making it feel like an information dump. Sounds like this one isn’t for me, in any case. Thanks for the information!
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

I know its very hard to give 1 star for a book, I am glad you finished the book than DNF it. I'll skip these books. Thanks for your honest review.
Bewa
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades Darker
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bewa.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Bewa »

From this review I am sure I won't want to read the book. I like that the reviewer was honest enough to actually criticize the book. I hope Manier takes the corrections positively and writes better next time because it is obvious she is creative so all she has to do is put the review points in mind next time.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Zirana Julie wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 03:39 From this review I am sure I won't want to read the book. I like that the reviewer was honest enough to actually criticize the book. I hope Manier takes the corrections positively and writes better next time because it is obvious she is creative so all she has to do is put the review points in mind next time.
I completely agree with you! I honestly felt bad having to criticize so much, especially when I also think highly of people who are willing to put in the hard effort it takes to write an entire book and get it published! In this case I hope the author can learn from her mistakes and come back stronger with her next book!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

CommMayo wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 14:25 Oh man! I'm sorry that that book was so terrible to read. I hate having to write such negative reviews, but you did it justice! Quick, pick up some Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward to get that crappy vampire romance cleared out of your brain!
I feel the same way, CommMayo, but I love your prescription for recovering from reading a bad book! :lol: Good advice!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Since I have always been addicted to reading, I have this tendency of thinking that every book has something good to offer. I really appreciate the honesty of your review. I can find excuses for the author in terms of plot development, character building, etc., but never in terms of poor editing. Thank you for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Sorry that the reading experience was awful...I really was expecting higher rating given the plot was inclusive of fantasy and vampires.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

The part about Carra only remembering the last seven years of her life and then meeting a man to whom she feels connected to sounded interesting. Too bad the book needs a lot of work. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”