Official Review: Lover's Curse by Ruthie L Manier

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing a single book or single series in each topic thread. Please set the title of the topic thread as the name of the book or series, and preferably include also the author's name if it fits. If you want to discuss a book in its entirety, i.e. you don't mind spoilers, please also include the word spoilers in the subject to warn users who may not want to read spoilers. If a thread does not have a clear spoiler warning, then it is against the forum rules to post spoilers in it. If you are an author or publisher, you may not start a topic about your own book; instead please click here to learn how to get your book or ebook reviewed.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: A Girl Like You by Michelle Cox

Official Review: Lover's Curse by Ruthie L Manier

Post by katiesquilts » 31 Jan 2018, 23:55

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lover's Curse" by Ruthie L Manier.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Carra can only remember the last seven years of her life. She struggled with her amnesia at first, but she was able to create a life for herself and make friends. She's out with those same friends one night when a dark and mysterious man catches her attention. She feels a gravitational pull to him, his gaze seemingly seeing right through her. Carra isn't sure whether he's there to claim her as his own, or whether he's a part of her forgotten past that she should be running from. The only thing she knows is that he's ridiculously hot and handsome!

This is the basis behind Ruthie L. Manier's first book, Lover's Curse. Lover's Curse is the first book in a trilogy, but it does not read that way. Manier throws around made-up words and expects the reader to understand them with little explanation. Her characters are called Va'atacos and Suntanics, but they're basically vampires. I'm not sure if the book was purposefully written to make the readers understand things as Carra remembered them, but the lack of explanation and the assumption that we would be able to keep up was one of my biggest pet peeves with this book. I had a hard time believing that this was really the first book in the series.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the only major problem with Lover's Curse. The book is in desperate need of an editor. There are typos, grammatical problems, and a distinct lack of continuity in the author's writing style. I thought I liked Carra as a character, but the more time she spent around Dark Eyes, the more she started to sound like a female dog in heat. I was honestly disgusted by the way Dark Eyes referred to her at times. I thought about giving the novel up because I wasn't enjoying it at all, but I had already read over 60%, so I decided to just trudge on and see if it got any better.

The idea for the book and the way things came together in the end wasn't actually all that bad. I'm not sure if it was very original or not, but things made sense and loose ends were wrapped up. Unfortunately, that's all the praise I have. My complaints far outweigh the compliments I could give.

In the end, I can only give Lover's Curse 1 out of 4 stars. I can't remember the last time I've given such a low rating, but I feel like Manier could have fleshed out the novel more and at the very least made sure it was edited properly. As it is, the novel I received felt sloppy and immature compared to the novel it could have become. I don't think I'll be recommending it to anyone, and I definitely will not be reading the other two books in the Hemocil Society series. Lover's Curse was a real disappointment and I'm just glad that it was a quick read, because I don't think I would have been able to finish it if it were any longer.

Lover's Curse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 93
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Emotional Intelligence</a>
Currently Reading: A Brief History of The Third Reich
Bookshelf Size: 367
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 09 Feb 2018, 03:04

I am sorry! I kinda got disturbed by your account on Carra been around Dark Eyes like she is a stalking hawk and the way Dark Eyes referred to Carra. Made me wonder why? I am sorry, I don't think this book is for me. Thank you for the details!
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good book!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 53
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Hand of Silver, Hand of Gold by Christopher Grey

Post by kandscreeley » 09 Feb 2018, 08:14

Well, I am curious about her amnesia. Where did it come from? Does it resolve. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like I want to read the book to find out. Thanks for the great information. I'll be avoiding this one for now.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: Blessed-n-Lucky by Terri Trainor

Post by Mercy Bolo » 09 Feb 2018, 11:12

From your review, I can see that there are too many unanswered questions in the storyline. I will gladly pass on this one.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Amberlily
2018 Reading Goal: 8
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Amberlily » 09 Feb 2018, 13:22

If a new species of sub-species is introduced into a book, the reader has to understand what they are and how they function! It feels very lazy to leave that information out. I'll also have to pass on this one, it sounds like an out right mess.

CommMayo
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading: Upside Down
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Survive The Fall by Julia Bright
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 09 Feb 2018, 14:25

Oh man! I'm sorry that that book was so terrible to read. I hate having to write such negative reviews, but you did it justice! Quick, pick up some Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward to get that crappy vampire romance cleared out of your brain!

Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G » 09 Feb 2018, 20:40

I’m sorry the book was not fun to read, but glad you finished it so you could write a review for the rest of us! I’ll skip this one.

kemp1kor
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: The Darkest Hour by Jasmin Quinn
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor » 10 Feb 2018, 17:47

I’m usually a fan of supernatural romance, but it sounds like this one could use some work. I definitely prefer when authors are informative about their fantasy worlds, especially when they’re able to do so without making it feel like an information dump. Sounds like this one isn’t for me, in any case. Thanks for the information!

vinodsai
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 178

Post by vinodsai » 13 Feb 2018, 02:28

I know its very hard to give 1 star for a book, I am glad you finished the book than DNF it. I'll skip these books. Thanks for your honest review.

Bewa
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades Darker
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bewa.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Bewa » 13 Feb 2018, 03:39

From this review I am sure I won't want to read the book. I like that the reviewer was honest enough to actually criticize the book. I hope Manier takes the corrections positively and writes better next time because it is obvious she is creative so all she has to do is put the review points in mind next time.

katiesquilts
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: A Girl Like You by Michelle Cox

Post by katiesquilts » 14 Feb 2018, 08:09

Zirana Julie wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 03:39
From this review I am sure I won't want to read the book. I like that the reviewer was honest enough to actually criticize the book. I hope Manier takes the corrections positively and writes better next time because it is obvious she is creative so all she has to do is put the review points in mind next time.
I completely agree with you! I honestly felt bad having to criticize so much, especially when I also think highly of people who are willing to put in the hard effort it takes to write an entire book and get it published! In this case I hope the author can learn from her mistakes and come back stronger with her next book!

Kat Berg
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 19
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg » 14 Feb 2018, 09:42

CommMayo wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 14:25
Oh man! I'm sorry that that book was so terrible to read. I hate having to write such negative reviews, but you did it justice! Quick, pick up some Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward to get that crappy vampire romance cleared out of your brain!
I feel the same way, CommMayo, but I love your prescription for recovering from reading a bad book! :lol: Good advice!

cristinaro
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: The World of Ato by Patrick Borosky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cristinaro » 15 Feb 2018, 08:07

Since I have always been addicted to reading, I have this tendency of thinking that every book has something good to offer. I really appreciate the honesty of your review. I can find excuses for the author in terms of plot development, character building, etc., but never in terms of poor editing. Thank you for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)

prettysmart
2018 Reading Goal: 560
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 1
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart » 02 Mar 2018, 16:58

Sorry that the reading experience was awful...I really was expecting higher rating given the plot was inclusive of fantasy and vampires.

Yolimari
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yolimari.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Post by Yolimari » 03 Mar 2018, 08:31

The part about Carra only remembering the last seven years of her life and then meeting a man to whom she feels connected to sounded interesting. Too bad the book needs a lot of work. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”