Official Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to ...

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Re: Official Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to ...

Post by Praise GodWord »

Lily reminds me of what I often do, using my piano for relief. I would like to read her character. Good job!
Biyaki-20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biyaki-20.html
Latest Review: The Finesser by Patrice Brown

Post by Biyaki-20 »

I have never read a historical novel before, but having had a glimpse of what The Prodigy Slave is about I have to say I'm intrigued. The way the author has carved these characters and the plot is so captivating. I can't wait to join Lily and James on their journey as they discover themselves and more.
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I read this book, and I agree it makes you feel a myriad of emotions. I really liked Lily. She's a strong headed and intelligent woman. I love her self-control and enjoyed seeing her rise from slavery through her talent. James compassion is also admirable and rare to see. Definitely a great read!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

A book about a child who was denied of the overwhelming love of a mother at such a tender age, but she found strength to push through to where love and friendship found her, seem like it's going to be an interesting read. I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Great review.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

Thanks for your analytical review. This sounds like an intriguing story for a historical romance novel. I wonder in what way did James punish Lily that changed her life so completely?
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

While I liked Lily's musical prowess (music can be an elixir for great suffering), I couldn't help but think about the fact that she was ripped from her mother's arms as a child to be sold. The slavery era was indeed terrible. In all, this sounds like a lovely story.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I had the opportunity to review this book a while ago, and I loved it! And I agree with the cliffhanger, it caught me off guard, and I'm really excited to read the sequel to get some explanation as to why stuff happened the way it did. I enjoyed reading your take on the book and appreciate your well-written review!
Sophia10
Currently Reading: Master the Law of Attraction
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia10.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Sophia10 »

Intriguing substance engaging read but the blacks struggles are pathetic. They never be treated like humans a heart rending touch.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

This is a great book of slavery. It started from tragedy then to triumph. Congrats on making the book of the day.
Osama Shahid 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Osama Shahid 1 »

[amazon=][amazon=][/amazon][/amazon]It's impressive because in this book he talks about the slavery of black and how a women lily have done such a great job.
talli_5
Currently Reading: Royal Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by talli_5 »

The plot sounds captivating. Im also willing to forgive a bit of confusing accent changes if the story takes me on a good emotional journey. Thank you for your review, I've seen this book floating around for a while but never readd any reviews.
janiceramirez

Post by janiceramirez »

I really enjoyed your review, It made me want to read it. It sounds like it is a veryy interesting book from your review.well wrote reviw.i can't wait to start it. Thank you.
Mili_kumari8

Post by Mili_kumari8 »

This story of The Prodigy Slave is heartwarming as it deals with a virtual fairytale storyline. Indeed it helps if a slave happens to possess latent potentials such as the talent for playing the piano. Such ability will lend to its owner's higher esteem once discovered and developed. As a treasure plucked from the dirt, the prodigy will go far in life, amassing fame and stature. Thanks for this interesting review.
Pooja Periwal

Post by Pooja Periwal »

Romantic novels are not my cup of tea but by your honest review I think I should go for this one.. Thanks for reviewing the book☺
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Acwoolet wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 11:58 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone dreams of something, whether it be great or small the dream is there, even if we don’t allow ourselves to admit it. For Lily in the beautifully written novel, The Prodigy Slave: Book One: Journey to Winter Garden written by Londyn Skye, her dream to is find her mother, who’s arms she was ripped out of as she was to be sold at an auction. While seeking relief from her new surroundings, Lily discovers that she has a propensity for the piano. In this discovery she is able to find a bit of comfort and joy in an otherwise scary and cruel world.

Although Lily is trapped in the life of a slave, she is not without friends, one such friend being her master’s son, James. However, many years into their friendship he discovers her playing the piano, and to her confusion threatens punishment for her hideous crimes. Much to her surprise his “punishment” is the one thing that completely alters her life, throwing her on a dramatic journey with some people of great power. Throughout her journey, Lily is able to discover a love and passion that she had never felt before, and a freedom that she could only ever dream about.

I greatly enjoyed reading The Prodigy Slave; it possessed the ability to touch on all of my emotions. I felt horror while Lily was ripped out of her mother’s arms, hope when she found friendship in James, and wonder in her ability to play the piano. Lily was an easy character to fall in love with, she was so full of life that I felt as if we could be best friends. Written in the first perspective, occasionally the narrative would switch between Lily and a few of the other characters; however, I was never confused as to whose thoughts I was peering into. All of the primary and secondary characters were incredibly well written, even the most minor of character contained a backstory and motive. The “good guys” were so easy to love and the “bad guys” were so much fun to hate! Although the book is not a quick, one sitting read, I never felt as if I struggled to get through it and felt a little betrayed when it ended. It did leave on a bit of a cliffhanger, so here’s to hoping the sequel arrives soon!

The writing was exquisite and the dialogue drew me in immensely. While the punctuation had a professionally edited feel to it, there was one thing that threw me off a bit. Many of the characters, especially Lily and James, would switch accents. Such as, for a while they would speak in an abbreviated manner, “livin’, darlin’,” etc. then all of a sudden they would switch into a “proper” high society dialogue. The first couple of times that it happened, I was confused as to which character was speaking. I got used to it after a while, but towards the middle of the book it seemed as if it were happening every other page. While a bit confusing at first, I was still able to really enjoy the novel.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a romantic historical book full of adventure and hope. The book does contain a few sex scenes, although not too graphic in nature, I would probably recommend that the reader be over seventeen. Because of the switching of accents, I give The Prodigy Slave: Book One: Journey to Winter Garden 3 out of 4 stars. I would have liked to give it a 3.5 if that where possible and would whole-heartedly give it a higher rating if the characters didn’t switch accents back and forth.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Thanks for your review. I would definitely like to read this one. Nice review!!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”