Official Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to ...

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Official Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to ...

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone dreams of something, whether it be great or small the dream is there, even if we don’t allow ourselves to admit it. For Lily in the beautifully written novel, The Prodigy Slave: Book One: Journey to Winter Garden written by Londyn Skye, her dream to is find her mother, who’s arms she was ripped out of as she was to be sold at an auction. While seeking relief from her new surroundings, Lily discovers that she has a propensity for the piano. In this discovery she is able to find a bit of comfort and joy in an otherwise scary and cruel world.

Although Lily is trapped in the life of a slave, she is not without friends, one such friend being her master’s son, James. However, many years into their friendship he discovers her playing the piano, and to her confusion threatens punishment for her hideous crimes. Much to her surprise his “punishment” is the one thing that completely alters her life, throwing her on a dramatic journey with some people of great power. Throughout her journey, Lily is able to discover a love and passion that she had never felt before, and a freedom that she could only ever dream about.

I greatly enjoyed reading The Prodigy Slave; it possessed the ability to touch on all of my emotions. I felt horror while Lily was ripped out of her mother’s arms, hope when she found friendship in James, and wonder in her ability to play the piano. Lily was an easy character to fall in love with, she was so full of life that I felt as if we could be best friends. Written in the first perspective, occasionally the narrative would switch between Lily and a few of the other characters; however, I was never confused as to whose thoughts I was peering into. All of the primary and secondary characters were incredibly well written, even the most minor of character contained a backstory and motive. The “good guys” were so easy to love and the “bad guys” were so much fun to hate! Although the book is not a quick, one sitting read, I never felt as if I struggled to get through it and felt a little betrayed when it ended. It did leave on a bit of a cliffhanger, so here’s to hoping the sequel arrives soon!

The writing was exquisite and the dialogue drew me in immensely. While the punctuation had a professionally edited feel to it, there was one thing that threw me off a bit. Many of the characters, especially Lily and James, would switch accents. Such as, for a while they would speak in an abbreviated manner, “livin’, darlin’,” etc. then all of a sudden they would switch into a “proper” high society dialogue. The first couple of times that it happened, I was confused as to which character was speaking. I got used to it after a while, but towards the middle of the book it seemed as if it were happening every other page. While a bit confusing at first, I was still able to really enjoy the novel.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a romantic historical book full of adventure and hope. The book does contain a few sex scenes, although not too graphic in nature, I would probably recommend that the reader be over seventeen. Because of the switching of accents, I give The Prodigy Slave: Book One: Journey to Winter Garden 3 out of 4 stars. I would have liked to give it a 3.5 if that where possible and would whole-heartedly give it a higher rating if the characters didn’t switch accents back and forth.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lisa19643
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa19643.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Lisa19643 »

Thank you for your insights on The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden. Your review has encouraged me to read it, although I'll be waiting breathlessly for the cliffhanger!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow, this is emotionally testing. I found the plot very intriguing and entertaining. The act of the child taken away from the mother is truly a intense situation, even by reading this review I can feel that. I wonder what would have happened if I read this whole book. Thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A love story about a slave? That's a bit unique. I don't think it's for me with the sex scenes, but thanks for your review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this review and will definitely try this book despite the minor error you mentioned. I've always loved historical romance novels. I'm very intrigued by the plot and think I will enjoy reading this one.
Michker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Michker »

I loved thisvreview I went yo sma,on and bought it beautiful review.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

This sounds like a historical novel the reader could really sink their teeth into. The switching of dialects you mention sounds really distracting though.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Thank you for your review. It seems like a book I would read. I may give it a try.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Wow, this sounds so good! I love finding a new series that I can enjoy. Thank you for your review!
Peg-Sue
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Peg-Sue »

I love historical romances. This book sounds like something I can get into and read in one sitting! Thank you for your review!
aisian

Post by aisian »

Achwolet _you are right.The story has a lot of emotional clarification even though Lily and James are the main characters where James has a motive of holding on to lily because of something that happen that might have been a plot to contour brighter picture of how James and Lily become acquainted.I see Lily as portrait of princess trapped by long journey between being taken from her mother and getting acquainted to new surrounding.Secondly,she discovers that she have talent for piano and that interest James to wanted get acquainted with new and better society .She had a dream and the question remain to me answered_Is James her ticket to happiness and prosperity even though he though he knows about the situation involving her situations,To me later she finds love and happiness within a different dimension that might bring her back to her mother. :mrgreen: :!:
aisian

Post by aisian »

I believe that the story might end up like another Romeo & Juliet.;princess come to rescue her at the spare of disappointing life and persuit her with happiness.I read it and seem as though the story narrative is completely true about both characters_each one is seeking some type of adversity in turn for long relationship that will turn out to be another classic like Romeo &Juliet'.I would really give this book 5 stars
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This story of The Prodigy Slave is heartwarming as it deals with a virtual fairytale storyline. Indeed it helps if a slave happens to possess latent potentials such as the talent for playing the piano. Such ability will lend to its owner's higher esteem once discovered and developed. As a treasure plucked from the dirt, the prodigy will go far in life, amassing fame and stature. Thanks for this interesting review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review. Interesting story about a girl surviving in a world that's she was pushed into.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

Historical romance isn’t my usual cup of tea, but this review might just convince me to try it out. The one thing that makes me hesitate is the apparent switching of accents between characters.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”