Official Review: Through It All by Joanne Muoh

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Through It All by Joanne Muoh

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Through It All" by Joanne Muoh.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Through It All by Joanne Muoh is a romance novel set in high society Nigeria. It is a beautifully written piece of work that paints a vivid picture of what the lives of the well to do of society of that part of the world is like.

The main protagonist is Cassandra Peters, an American citizen, who travels to Nigeria for the heartbreaking occasion of burying her late father. She is now a grown, accomplished woman with a thriving medical practice in Florida. Although her parents marriage ended in a terrible divorce when she was younger and her mother got full custody, she was still close with her father and made an effort to talk to him on phone every single day. The very memory of him burdens her heart with grief but she makes a great effort to maintain the facade of strength to her extended family. Little does Cassandra know that it is on her stay in Nigeria during this period that she will meet and fall in love with the man of her dreams.

While reading this novel, I was immediately drawn to the characters and I was impressed by how light-hearted and romantic moments are weaved into the giant banner of grief. Family ties are bound even tighter by such moments and this wasn't left out in this story. As with most family gatherings, there is always that dramatic moment that makes for a good barbecue story and that wasn't left out either.

It was interesting to see Cassandra meet relatives that she hadn't seen in ages and others that she had never met prior to this fateful occasion. Her mother chose to stay in America and not attend her ex-husband's funeral. From the in-laws' reaction on seeing Cassandra by herself, it was clear that her mother was not liked in this circle. It was very prudent of the author to keep her away. I can't imagine what would have ensued if she had dared show her face.

The themes of family ties, friendship, love and grief are well tackled. The family ties are not always on the bright side and even those family members who refrained from helping their own kin when they faced hardship are put on the spotlight. The story is well paced and there is just enough back story to support the current events without leaving the reader feeling like there are gaps.

It was impressive to see how well the author did her research and rightfully used medical jargon in situations where it was necessary. This aspect broadened the feel of the book. However, the author also uses Yoruba and Spanish languages in a few instances during dialogue. Readers who are not familiar with these dialects might have a hard time comprehending the message because no index is provided at the end of the book.

Due to the the multiple typos and grammatical errors I encountered, I will subtract one star and give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I was quite pleased that although it is a romance book, there were no explicit sex scenes but the passion that the two lovebirds felt for each other radiated through the pages. It is a book I would recommended to anyone who needs to bond better with their family and anyone on a journey of finding love.

Through It All
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like a really interesting book. I haven't read many novels that take place in Africa, this sounds like a good place to start if I can get past the typos.
Louis Asamoah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Louis Asamoah »

Wow this is such a great book! Us an interesting book
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This book sounds interesting, although it is disappointing that it has grammatical issues.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a typical family background, always there are dramatic situations, drama unfolding when ever a family gathering takes place. I can understand the character. I believe this book will be a enjoyable one give that one can sit back and watch the whole story flash on one's mind. Thank you for the detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

CommMayo wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 16:46 Sounds like a really interesting book. I haven't read many novels that take place in Africa, this sounds like a good place to start if I can get past the typos.
Once you get immersed in the story, the typos are quite easy to get past.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Louis Asamoah wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 19:36 Wow this is such a great book! Us an interesting book
Thank you. The book is quite amazing!
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Kat Berg wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 20:46 This book sounds interesting, although it is disappointing that it has grammatical issues.
I feel you. It really bugs me when a good story is ruined by typos.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 22:46 Sounds like a typical family background, always there are dramatic situations, drama unfolding when ever a family gathering takes place. I can understand the character. I believe this book will be a enjoyable one give that one can sit back and watch the whole story flash on one's mind. Thank you for the detailed review!
You're right. A memorable family reunion is never devoid of drama.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Achanta12345

Post by Achanta12345 »

Sounds like a really interesting book. I haven't read many novels that take place in Africa, this sounds like a good place to start I can understand the character. I believe this book will be a enjoyable one give that one can sit back and watch the whole story flash on one's mind. Thank you for the detailed review!
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

I cringe when I encounter a lot of typos and grammatical errors. Brilliant review though.
missfiel1997
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by missfiel1997 »

Nah! wrong typos can be edited. But, then the story was kind of same old ways of stories that I've read maybe a many twist in life can do like many people experienced many trials beyond the expectations and laugh along the way.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I am always into romantic novels. Would love to read this one.
Admirable review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Okay... I'm highly impressed. A romance novel set in Nigeria with no explicit sex scenes? I'm definitely going to have to look into this one. I'll put it on my (growing too quickly) to be read list! Thanks so much for all the info!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

The author should have translated the Yoruba and Spanish languages used in this book. It sounds like a very captivating book and worth reading. Sounds more like she was going back to her roots. I would very much like to read it and see how things turned out for her. Nice review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”