Review by Katie Walker -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katie Walker
Currently Reading: who told you that you were naked
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-walker.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Review by Katie Walker -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Katie Walker »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday is a book written by Samyann which is a historical fiction book about reincarnation. Whether the reader believes in reincarnation or not, it is still a very enjoyable book. The book starts out with Amanda Parker saving the life of Officer Mark Callahan of the Chicago Police Department. The two main characters feel that they have met before and begin on a journey to find out what their strange connection may be. To top it all off, an old antique clock may hold the answer to all of their questions.

The book follows Amanda and Mark as they get to know each other and research an old clock that Amanda felt drawn to and purchased. As their story progresses we see their love for each other deepens and the mystery that surrounds them intensify. Their story is intertwined with the lives of two small children escaping the Civil War in the South. The children are Bonnie and Jack and their story takes them from Charleston, South Carolina to Chicago. They have many harrowing experiences including the Civil War and the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. How Amanda, Mark, Bonnie and Jack’s lives are intertwined is the essence of the book.

Reincarnation by definition is the rebirth of a soul in a new body. This can be a topic that is controversial, but the Author spins a tale that makes the reader want to believe in reincarnation. Seeing Amanda and Mark taking a look at their past lives draws an interesting story element to the book.This book made me think and dream about what my soul was in a past life.

Yesterday is very enjoyable and the flow of the book is very easy to follow. The reader is taken from present time Chicago to the Civil War, and The Great Chicago Fire without any confusion. I found myself so engrossed in the book that I was unable to put the book down. The storyline of Amanda and Mark are just as captivating as Bonnie and Jack’s storyline. Both storylines contribute to the book with equal excitement and interest. The characters are well developed and believable. The Author also provides great detail in describing the events and surroundings of the characters. I felt like I was transported into the lives and times of the characters.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I could find nothing in the book that would lower my rating of 4 stars. I gave it all four stars because it was well written, the characters seemed real, the struggles that they endured were believable, and I simply couldn't put the book down.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Katie Walker's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Finding a book that keeps your interest, like this one, is really a treat. I liked your reference to the historical elements. The author did an excellent job of researching the time period. Great job. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”