Official Review: Vigil Andi by BC Shannon

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: Vigil Andi by BC Shannon

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vigil Andi" by BC Shannon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vigil Andi by BC Shannon falls into the romance genre. As the prologue suggests, it definitely isn’t your typical romance. Told in the first-person perspective from Andi’s point-of-view, this book follows two stories: Andi’s past and her present. The past tells the story of Andi as a teenager. She’s your typical high school girl. She’s a cheerleader and a star student. She has a great family, a wonderful best friend and has just fallen in love for the first time. What could go wrong? Flash forward, and the present story tells of her current adventures as a vigilante. So how does that picture perfect high school girl become a vigilante? You’ll just have to read this book and find out.

This was the best book I have read in a long time. I couldn’t make myself put the book down. Before I knew it, I had read the whole thing. The book switched between the past and the present stories every chapter, which helped capture my attention. I really liked this format of the book. It was interesting to watch as the two stories developed together even though they were really about the same person. The author did a great job pacing each story so that they aligned perfectly. A little glimpse of the past would be given that would then add to the story of the present in the next chapter. This was definitely one of my favorite aspects of the book.

I also liked that the book kept me on my toes the whole time. Just when I thought things were getting predictable, there would be a twist, and I would find myself shocked at what just happened. I have only read a few books that have managed to do this, so I was very impressed.

The development of each of the characters in the story was also an excellent aspect of this book. The author did a great job painting a picture of each of their personalities as the story went on. It really helped me connect with them. I especially enjoyed that this story was told from the first-person perspective. It really helped me get to know Andi as a character. The author didn’t hold back on Andi’s emotions, and I felt like it was really Andi telling me the story.

The only complaint I have with this book is that it didn’t seem to be professionally edited. There were quite a few errors within the book that distracted me while I was reading. Most of the errors were missing apostrophes in possessive nouns. There were also a few places where quotation marks were used incorrectly. Another error that distracted me was that the tense of the story changed a couple of times. For the most part, it was told in the present tense, but a few times it switched to the past tense. Unfortunately, there were too many errors to ignore.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the lack of editing. If the errors weren’t so noticeable, I probably would have given it 4 stars. Even with the errors, I would definitely recommend this book to other readers. It’s a great story for those that like books from the romance category. However, there are a few sexual scenes that were pretty descriptive, so I wouldn’t read this book if you don’t like those types of scenes.

Vigil Andi
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I'm intrigued. How this "miss America" kind of girl becomes a vigilante is baffling. It is definitely a story I would read.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
sherif olabode
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by sherif olabode »

It is
a surprisingly delightful little book this turned out to be! I've never read anything by this author before and I went into this one blind and with only the blurb as a guide. And I can honestly say I pretty much loved it from beginning to end.

I found it to be very well written and paced. The plot was engaging and kept me turning the pages. I am usually not a fan of books that flip-flop from past to present, but in this case, it worked extremely well and helped give us much needed background on the characters. There is a bit of romance. A tiny bit of sex. A lot of action. Some twists and turns. A few secondary characters that added a nice layer to the story. And I LOVED Andi. I know in the blurb it says "You probably won’t like me very much, in fact, I’d venture to say that you’ll likely hate me." Ya, not so much. Not sure what that says about me but I adored Andi and all her vigilante ways.

That said, a couple of things kept this from a higher rating. I would have liked a bit more fleshing out of certain parts of the story. A little more background (a bit more WHY) on the Academy angle. And although I am glad the author gave those of us an optional epilogue I would have liked a bit more story that included those two characters going forward. The ending is just kind of sprung on us and felt a little rushed and incomplete. Maybe if I ask the author nicely will give us a followup novella..PLEASE..with cherries on top??!! All in all, though this book was a cracking good read and gets two solid thumbs up from yours truly.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 05:11 I'm intrigued. How this "miss America" kind of girl becomes a vigilante is baffling. It is definitely a story I would read.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Lillianhausgaard
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00H8VUGVC

Post by Lillianhausgaard »

I didn't really get anything from the review that would attract me to this book. I understand that the sweet American school girl becomes a "vigilante" but this is not enough to interest me to read this book.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

This review is pretty good. Story sounds pretty good as well.
ameng
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by ameng »

This review is very good
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Oh no. I was ready to go check this book out, but the errors are a downer. I liked the storytelling method because it's really something special when done well -- which this book seemed to accomplish. I hope the author hires an editor.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Why oh why can't people get their books professionally edited? Your review drew me into to the book before I read about the errors. Total buzz kill.

Thanks for your review.
Wiseradio
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Wiseradio »

Very interesting book to read, the story are nice.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not really into the explicit scenes. Yet, I live that this romance is somewhat atypical. That would definitely make it more interesting. Still, I think I'll avoid this for now. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wiseradio
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Wiseradio »

Nice book , very interesting a book every body should read.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It sounds as if this story is skilfully told, alternating between past and present in a compelling way. I generally don't read romance but would like to try some better examples of the genre.What a shame about the lack of editing; so frustrating!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I am always into romantic novels. Would love to read this one.
Admirable review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Kaveesh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kaveesh »

I've watched almost every top romantic movies and also read some. This one is quite interesting and appreciating as well. Of course, mistakes are somehow to be seen but it will not be an issue to take a try and read to appreciate the book.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”