Official Review: Tiny Tim and The Ghost of Ebenezer Scrooge

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Tiny Tim and The Ghost of Ebenezer Scrooge

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tiny Tim and The Ghost of Ebenezer Scrooge" by Norman Whaler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what happened to the lovable characters from the classic, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens? Wonder no longer! In Norman Whaler’s Christian Romance, Tiny Tim and the Ghost of Ebenezer Scrooge, the reader explores what came next after Scrooge's change of heart.

After years has passed, the ever-changed Ebenezer Scrooge has passed away. Within the years between his transformation from “Bah humbug” Scrooge to his death, one of the people Ebenezer has become a role model and second father to was Tiny Tim. Now, Tim is no longer tiny, but his heart feels that way. Saddened by the death of Mr. Scrooge and his lost love, Becky, Tim is having a difficult time in feeling happy. When he is at his most depressed state-of-mind, Tim is visited by the Ghost of Ebenezer Scrooge. Can the Ghost of Ebenezer Scrooge help heal Tim’s heart and find his faith in God?

This lovely little tale was a delight to read and in one sitting nonetheless! A Christmas Carol is one of the classics that I do actually treasure and have read a few times, so I was excited for this read. I appreciated how the writing style, the illustrations provided, and the use of carols brought me to its nineteenth century, London setting. As an added bonus, there are four pieces of sheet music, using the carols mentioned in the read, at the end of the book.

Written in the third person point-of-view, there are strong themes of faith, depression, love, and healing throughout. Just in time for Christmas, each character shows love and the faith of God is discussed. Some might find some of the dialogue about having faith in God a bit preachy, but I did agree with what was said. It reminded me of the conversations I would have with my dad.

I found the character development and portrayal to be moving. It was easy to understand Tim’s frustration with his beliefs, sympathize with Becky’s distressing situation, and feel appreciative of the Ghost of Ebenezer Scrooge’s reflection and teachings. Though it was easy to become somewhat exasperated with Tim’s way of thinking when he had two loving parents with him, I stopped and thought if I lost my soul mate and then a second father, I also might feel too broken to be able to come out of the depressed feeling easily.

Aside from a handful of errors, there was just one aspect of this read that I wished would have been different. Without giving too much away, one person is portrayed as having an illness, but it was never stated what the illness was and if there was ever a resolution.

Given these minor flaws and the fact that I would have liked it to be longer, I happily give this read a 4 out of 4 stars. If you enjoy Christmas reads with a character who learns the true meaning of Christmas in a sweet Christian Romance, I would say give this read a try!

Tiny Tim and The Ghost of Ebenezer Scrooge
View: on Bookshelves

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Just in time for Christmas! I'm ashamed to admit that I have never read A Christmas Carol, although I have seen its storyline adapted, subverted, re-imagined, and sometimes even butchered by Hollywood executives. I admire the author for taking on this classic, but wouldn't he need a license or something, like the writers who continued the Sidney Sheldon or Stieg Larsson books? Just curious.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Picking up this book was perfect timing! Before reading it (a while ago), I remember my first exposure to the classic was The Flinstones version of A Christmas Carol. :lol:

You raise a good point...I'm not sure who Sidney Sheldon is, but with Stieg Larsson, wasn't there information about the book he wanted to publish before passing away, so they needed special permission for the next one? Tiny Tim and the Ghost of Ebenezer Scrooge seems completely separate and imaginative from the original. It reminded me of when people use fairy tales to either retell them over and over again or somehow continue the story. Does that make sense?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

It reminded me of when people use fairy tales to either retell them over and over again or somehow continue the story. Does that make sense?
Ah, yes. I agree. There was a kind of a fairytale subversion trend before, with Cinderella and Wizard of Oz. That makes perfect sense.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

inaramid wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 04:00
It reminded me of when people use fairy tales to either retell them over and over again or somehow continue the story. Does that make sense?
Ah, yes. I agree. There was a kind of a fairytale subversion trend before, with Cinderella and Wizard of Oz. That makes perfect sense.
It was a good point to bring up since it didn't even cross my mind. :tiphat:
Heidi

MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I considered reviewing this one too; I'm so glad you liked it! I love the characters and story from the original Christmas Carol, so I'm to see that the author handled them well. Great review!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It was a nice, sweet, and short read. I think he did handle it well. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Heidi

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

How neat! I love the thought of following up on the characters from the classic tale! This sounds just wonderful. I saw it on the review list, but I thought I'd let someone else read it. After all, I've done one Christmas book already this season. Thanks for the wonderful review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It was pretty neat! That's actually nice of you to leave it for someone else. This is my first Christmas book this season, so I appreciate it! :tiphat:
Heidi

Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Sounds like a bit of fluff, to be honest. The original Christmas Carol was riveting in its invention. This book seems to just copy the invention a generation (and 150 years) later, like an unnecessary sequel. Good review, but I think I'll pass on the book.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Wonderful, insightful review as always. :) I particularly enjoyed your review because I almost selected this book for review recently. It's odd that the illness of a character is not stated or resolved. That would be bug me a little. Still, the book sounds like a great holiday read. Glad you enjoyed it!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 10:24 Sounds like a bit of fluff, to be honest. The original Christmas Carol was riveting in its invention. This book seems to just copy the invention a generation (and 150 years) later, like an unnecessary sequel. Good review, but I think I'll pass on the book.
Thank you for your thoughts. I can see your point about it being unnecessary, but I did find it enjoyable. :)
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 10:26 Wonderful, insightful review as always. :) I particularly enjoyed your review because I almost selected this book for review recently. It's odd that the illness of a character is not stated or resolved. That would be bug me a little. Still, the book sounds like a great holiday read. Glad you enjoyed it!
Thank you, bookowlie! It was a bit odd about the illness. I can see why it was mentioned within the storyline, but it would have been nice if the author explored it more, or the very least said what it was exactly. I thought it was a fun, little read. Thank you. :)
Heidi

Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I love the sound of this book. I will definitely have to read it before Christmas.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It was sweet and short read that had a nice message across. If you do read it, I hope you enjoy!
Heidi

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”