Review of The Deception

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alissa Deann Devargas
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Review of The Deception

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Deception" by Sanna Brand.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

One thing I've noticed about the ton, since I've read several historical dramas about them, is their gossip mill. There's always that one person who is looking out for the newest scandal or to spread the news first on a current situation. Hence, most lords and ladies fear engaging in a scandal because of the aftereffects, which often involve being ostracized. In The Deception by Sanna Brand, read about the romantic story of Charlotte and Patrick.

Charlotte was the daughter of the well-respected artist, Reginald Pheland. She was also the one child who had inherited her father's talent. After her father died, they fell into hard times when they realized that her father, with all his talents, was not good at managing money after all. Although her mother's second marriage to Earl Fielding, described as a despicable man, helped a little, he died and left them destitute. In order to survive, Charlotte resorted to forging her father's paintings and selling them. This was dangerous. If people of the ton know about her forgeries, events would not turn out well for her. However, this venture brought her good and bad situations.

I'm a little partial to love stories, especially regency romance books. Hence, I sort of enjoyed reading this book. Charlotte was truly a talented artist who, as expected, was modest and always found fault with her works. Partrick was an exceptional character. He did not allow his misfortune to stop him from doing the things he loved. For someone whose life changed entirely within the twinkling of an eye, he managed his situation well. Even though dark thoughts creeped up on him sometimes, I liked how he accepted the love from his family, friends, and wife instead of withdrawing from them.

This book was a regency romance through and through. Therefore, I was not surprised to find complex English words, which built my vocabulary. However, I wish they were less because they sent me a number of times to the dictionary trying to know their meanings. There was action in the book, but I found it difficult to correctly visualize the description of what was happening, especially when there's a fight. The book started well; however, it considerably slowed for quite a while, which bored me. Aside from these things, I had no other difficulties while reading.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I removed a star because of my negative experiences while reading. However, this story did well to describe the importance of love, family, and friends. I liked how much the women were given free rein to take on unusual pastimes unlike those of their time. I also liked how the men worked together to help one another. The book's climax was also quite satisfying. I recommend this book to those who appreciate historical romance in England.

The Deception
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Noor Fateh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Noor Fateh »

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: Wrong Turn by Kim Toornburg

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts with us. I am all for good descriptions because otherwise how would you visualise the action? I think the author should take time to sort that out if they are interested in hightening the experience for the readers.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: The Road to Lavender by D.P. Benjamin
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 98%

Post by Laney K »

I loved the trope of the gossip mill in historical romance novels. This definitely sounds like a book that I would enjoy. Thanks for the informative review!
Slippy Spectrum
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slippy-spectrum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Slippy Spectrum »

This review provides a detailed insight into "The Deception" by Sanna Brand, a regency romance novel. The reviewer mentions the intriguing plot involving forgery, destitution, and the importance of love, family, and friendship. While the book includes complex English words and slow pacing at times, it still captures the essence of a historical romance. With a solid rating of 4 out of 5 stars, this book appears to be a good read for those who enjoy regency romance with well-developed characters and themes. Unforgettable characters, felt like old friends.
obinna Sharon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna-sharon.html
Latest Review: Sent to Watch by David J. Lebenstein

Post by obinna Sharon »

The Deception" is a compelling historical romance set in a time where reputation and appearances were everything. The risk of exposure for Charlotte's forgeries adds a layer of intrigue and suspense, highlighting the dichotomy of society's expectation of women and the lengths they sometimes have to go to in order to survive.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”