Official Review: Shifter's Hope by Laura Hawks

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Shifter's Hope by Laura Hawks

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shifter's Hope" by Laura Hawks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two people are destined to be lovers to fulfill an ancient prophecy. Others want the prophecy to fail, and they are prepared to kill to prevent it from happening. This is what Shifter's Hope. by Laura Hawks offers for its readers. It is listed as a romance novel, but I feel romantic fantasy would be more appropriate.

Raven is a Native American Indian; hunted by his tribe (who wish to kill him) he is forced to live alone in the woods. Raven is one of only a handful of his former tribe who can transform into more than one animal, most of the tribe can only change into one.

Hope is a beautiful young lady who has spent years in an abusive relationship. She has recently escaped from Harlan, her former boyfriend, though she still carries lots of scars, some physical but mostly psychological.

Raven can use the senses of the animals he turns into while still in his human form. With them, he smells someone he encountered years before, but his position in the tribe prevented him from pursuing the woman at that time. Now though, as his tribe had beaten him and left him for dead, he was free to follow his heart.

Hope was a tour guide, showing tourist around the area that Raven lived. She passes out and wakes to find Raven supporting her. Realising that she has missed the train back, Raven offers her a ride on his bike. Upon catching up with the train, Hope manages to board it and return to the tourist thereby keeping her job.

Another tribe member, Oz, spots Raven and reports to the chief that he is still alive and is following someone. The chief orders that Oz not to kill him immediately, but to keep track of him and find out more about the person he is following. This is just in case she has to die to prevent the prophecy.

Hope can’t get Raven out of her head, even though they made no plans to meet up again. However, Raven keeps track of her, helping her out when she got into trouble. He even stops Harlan from killing her.

From the beginning of the book, I was hooked. A whole tribe of people being able to shapeshift! Not just into wolves, though some of them do, but also into all manner of creatures. I found the way that they blended with their animal forms in such a way as to be able to use the animal’s senses as well as their own to be really well described and left me wishing that I could do it too.

I found the stalker element of Raven’s pursuit of Hope to be quite disturbing, but it was written in such a way that you could imagine it really happening. The way they both yearned for each other, but didn’t let the other to know straight away was so realistic. It reminded me of times in my past that I have done the same, and years later when we got together and admitted how we felt when we first met, we wondered about all that lost time we could have been together. So this story really resonated with me.

My first thought when I opened the book was “Oh Oh”! This is because the title was written as “PROLOGue”. I thought to myself if the title is like that, what will the rest of the book be like? I was very pleasantly surprised, in that I only found two errors in the whole book, apart from the chapter titles. Each one of them had a similar format to the prologue! This is an excellent story and I am going to give this a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I really think that this book will be enjoyed by anyone who loves romantic stories, and anyone who just want a good fantasy story. There are some fairly graphic sex scenes, along with some gory bits, so I wouldn’t recommend this for younger readers.

Shifter's Hope
View: on Bookshelves

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Good book review. I may have to put this book into my list of fluffy, easy reads for the future. Good to know the first editiorial error wasn't a sign of more to come.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

Nice review, I wish I could shapeshift too. Probably into some large fish and explore the seas. Adding this to my to read list.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Sounds like a captivating story and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you for an awesome review.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
sanna sanneh
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by sanna sanneh »

Such a good story I love it
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review. I love a good shifter story, It just reminds me that we truly are all animals at heart. I believe some animals may have lived past lives as humans, I swear my dog is a little human sometimes. It amazes me every day. This seems like a great story that I will have to cuddle with my snuggie when it starts to snow and jump into!
Musae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

Good review
I love shifter stories and would love to read this one

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”