Official Review: Dark Hole in my Soul

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: Dark Hole in my Soul

Post by ashley_claire »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Hole in my Soul" by Ellen Frazer-Jameson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ellen Frazer-Jameson's Dark Hole in My Soul is an emotionally charged book written mainly from the perspectives of a mother and daughter. Kathleen is an American born to immigrant Irish parents. She is determined to make a better life for herself than the one her parents provided for her. With an alcoholic father and a distant mother, growing up in New York City teaches her that the only person she can rely on is herself. When she finds herself pregnant out of wedlock and kicked out of her father's house, she has no real choice but to find solace at an upstate home for babies and mothers. The choice she makes there sets the tone for the rest of her life.

Serena grows up with two adoring parents in a life of wealth and privilege. She is given every opportunity to succeed and she doesn't let anything pass her by. Yet tragedy still manages to find her. When her birth mother comes looking for her, a chain of events is set off that changes the course of Serena's life. Will she ever be able to forgive her biological mother? Ellen Frazer-Jameson does a fine job of showing that although they couldn't have grown up in more different circumstances, the paths their lives take show just how similar mother and daughter truly are.

This book wasn't quite what I expected going into it. It's presented as a romantic suspense novel but I actually don't think it fits either of those genres. For me this reads more as a women's fiction novel. I don't have a problem with this as a genre, but feel that it is worth mentioning that I don't think it's marketed appropriately.

I really enjoyed reading from the perspectives of Kathleen and Serena. These characters came to life and continued to develop as the chapters passed. My empathy for each of them grew to the point that I had to set the book aside for a bit after certain events took place just so I could get out of their world.

Errors occur consistently through the book. Many of these mistakes are the wrong form of a word being used. One example I found was the word "emphasis" where it clearly should have been "emphasize". There were also a lot of very long sentences with no commas used when there should have been at least one. I began to think this was just the writing style of the author, but it happened too inconsistently to be purposeful. It did break my flow of reading on more than one occasion. Besides the editing errors, my one small complaint about the book is the dialogue. In my opinion it doesn't ring true to the way people actually talk to each other and it felt too formal and uptight.

This book deals with a lot of darker themes such as addiction, betrayal, loss, and strained mother/daughter relationships. With so many different elements to the book, it could have easily felt like the plot was all over the place. The author manages to tie everything together into one cohesive story that is easy to follow. The meaning of the title is clear early on and becomes a recurring theme for the duration of the book. Seeing how the characters develop and come full circle with their relationships made for an enjoyable read.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars mainly because of the amount of proofreading errors. At the end I was happy to have read this book even though it wasn't what I was expecting. I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys women's lit but is looking for a little more grit to their novel than that of a typical beach read.

Dark Hole in my Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ashley_claire's review? Post a comment saying so!
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

Wow! This does seem like an interesting read. I've never been too interested in womens lit but from your review I might actually read this! Thanks for an in depth review!
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a good book. I do dislike when the books aren't put into the appropriate genres, though. Then it never really reaches its target group. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
blexsnice walker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blexsnice walker »

Dark hole in my soul teach me to depend on myself and nothing going to get done pleasing enough unless you do it yourself

-- 30 Oct 2017, 13:13 --

Dark hole in my soul teach me to depend on myself and nothing going to get done pleasing enough unless you do it yourself
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

Great review! I wonder if Serena forgave her mother and what happens after that, this is a good book. Thanks
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like a good book. I do dislike when the books aren't put into the appropriate genres, though. Then it never really reaches its target group. Thanks for the review.
I was very confused about the genre. Nonetheless it's a good book so I guess it all worked out in the end.
Juvou
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Juvou »

This book will be quite interesting to read because it deals with the circumstances that can be really had to over come. Most people face the challenge of being abandoned & it can be really painfully. As i read the review the book is quite an interesting story becuase it come to life.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Sounds like a great read imbued with real life situations. I'm glad you enjoyed it even though it wasn't what you expected. Thanks for the great review!
Turquoise2136
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Turquoise2136 »

Nice, sounds like good to read this book, a heartbreaking,painful dramatically mother and daughter situations kinda happened in real life, wish the best end part of the story ,was they find forgiveness each other and live a happy life... [hurtful] ->[heartfelt...]
Pknjo
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by Pknjo »

I'd like to go into these dark themes. Good work with the review.
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thanks for checking out the review everyone!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This book sure does tackle some heavy themes. These are issues that many young people grapple with.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

It can be very hard for me to get past dialogue that doesn't ring true. Thanks for the good review!
Treistar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Treistar »

Any story about addiction and other crazy stuffs gives you the motivation to dig deeper.Dark hole in my sole can be rated averagely among the good books to read.
Rosey481
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rosey481 »

Addiction is something have for anyone to come out of but by being motivated to do good things can make you a better person.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”