Review of The Deception

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: On the Precipice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Love BLOSSOMS by Debra King Johnson
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 51%

Review of The Deception

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Deception" by Sanna Brand.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sanna Brand's novel "The Deception: The Secret Tales (Book 2)" combines romance and history. Starting in the early nineteenth century (1818), when British nobles were held in high regard, Lady Charlotte, an artist, and Patrick, a naval captain, were forced into a fake courtship due to a misunderstanding by the important nobles. As a result, Lady Charlotte may fall from grace due to societal norms. Both parties intended to end the ruse, but would they succeed given all of the obstacles they would face?

This novel's story included several plot points. Some parts of the novel were oddly satisfying to me—some are gruesome, others are elating. The letters shared by Charlotte and Patrick were a unique way for the author to create their bond, which played an important role in developing their love story. The gruesome parts of the novel in which Charlotte was forced to paint grotesque art by her abductor were both agonizing and interesting because they added depth to the story. The author did an excellent job of putting each character in their proper role without making the book too long and boring. The characters' sense of humor was impeccable, particularly Charlotte and Patrick, making the novel feel like a rom-com movie.

I had little to imagine while reading because the author did very little to express the physical appearance, features, and environments of the interiors and exteriors of buildings, especially given the time period in which the novel was written. I thought this would have helped with overall comprehension of the scene descriptions. I also did not like how the author kept using St. Michael as an excuse to extend the book, allowing him to escape multiple times without being caught.

I rate this novel a 5 out of 5 because I never lost interest while reading. I found no objective errors while reading. Henry and Spider were not educated to have proper speaking skills like other educated characters, so the author had to use intentional grammatical errors in their dialogues, which only added to the characters' realism. The negative aspects I mentioned are subjective and do not justify deducting a star.

The Deception
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
ANAND KUMAR 19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by ANAND KUMAR 19 »

#Introduction ##Exciting Announcement! Today's complimentary lottery is sponsored by the Publication of the Day, Devil Destroyer by Ian P. Eviston! This gripping story is sure to captivate readers with its exciting storyline and dynamic characters. ##Transition Expressions Abound To begin with, Demonslayer follows the journey of a young fighter tasked with defeating malevolent entities. Additionally, the main character must navigate dangerous terrain and epic battles to fulfill their destiny. Moreover, the writer's vivid descriptions and fast-paced storytelling will keep readers on the edge of their seats. Furthermore, readers will be transported to a magical realm filled with sorcery and danger. In summary, Demonslayer promises an unforgettable reading experience that will leave readers craving more. #Character Progression ##Lively Characters The main character is a brave and determined hero with a tragic past. Their inner conflicts add depth to the story and make them relatable. The antagonist is a formidable foe with a dark presence that looms over the entire narrative. Supporting characters provide comic relief and emotional support, adding layers to the overall story. #Story Twists and Turns ##Unexpected Revelations Throughout the story, readers will encounter surprising twists and turns that will keep them guessing. Just when you think you know what will happen next, the story takes an unexpected turn. The writer skillfully weaves together multiple storylines to create a complex and diverse narrative. Each chapter builds upon the last, leading to a thrilling and satisfying conclusion.
Obido Samuel Chiemerie
Favorite Book: Quest: Finding Freddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obido-samuel-chiemerie.html
Latest Review: Towars New Goals by Bernadino Schwimmeltrik

Post by Obido Samuel Chiemerie »

“The Deception: The Secret Tales (Book 2)” captivates with its blend of romance and historical intrigue. Sanna Brand’s use of letters to develop Charlotte and Patrick’s relationship adds a personal touch, while the novel’s balance of humor and darker elements keeps readers engaged.

Sanna Brand’s novel skillfully weaves romance with historical drama, using letters to deepen character connections. The combination of satisfying and gruesome plot elements adds complexity, though more vivid setting descriptions could enhance immersion.
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

I find historical romance novels to be heartwarming and intellectually engaging, as they blend deep emotional elements with historical backgrounds enriched by cultural and social details. The moments when historical romance novels depict the lives and challenges of their heroes in their era captivate me with passion and excitement, allowing me to live every moment of their emotional journey through time.
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

"The Deception” by Sanna Brand intricately weaves romance and historical intrigue. Charlotte and Patrick's fake courtship reviewed against a backdrop of societal norms and unexpected challenges, creating a captivating story of love and deception.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”