Review by CTdeF -- Temptation Trials Part I by B. Truly

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CTdeF
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctdef.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by CTdeF -- Temptation Trials Part I by B. Truly

Post by CTdeF »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After World War III, free choice is a thing of the past. The government now controls every aspect of its citizens’ lives, from who can marry to the type of music on the radio. There’s only one chance would-be lovers have to be together, becoming contestants on the reality television show Temptation Trials. Best friends, Cali and Stefani decide to risk it all for the men they love and sign up for the next season.

Temptation Trials by B. Truly was just the thing for a bit of light reading. The characters were likable. The plot moved along rapidly. The scenario was interesting. The writing style was uncomplicated. However, I must admit that I enjoyed the pre-trials section more than the actual trials. Before becoming embroiled in the Hollywoodness of the Temptation Trials, Cali and Stefani were getting to know Kincade and Tobias who were part of an underground resistance. The story had the feel of Divergent, a dystopian world ripe for revolution. After the trials began, the tone of the book changed to more like the Hunger Games with sexual overtones.

There were a few grammatical errors, mostly possessives where plurals should be used, and some unorthodox spelling and word choices. For instance, I’m not sure how exactly the game show announcer could gleam as a person isn’t typically an object that would shine. Then I just can’t imagine a girl who would say that man was “hawt” instead of hot using the word sough instead of sigh. There was also an excess of repetition in the first section, in my opinion. Once the reader understood that the Regime matrimonially matched citizens at the age of 21, there was no need to keep repeating that information every few pages.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the grammatical issues and inconsistency in the plot of the book. It is the first in a series, so it is quite probable that the theme incongruence will work its way out in a future installment. The cliffhanger ending made me want to get the next book to find out what happens next.

Due to the explicit sexual scenes, this isn’t a book that would appeal to everyone. It certainly isn’t a book for young adults even though the main characters are still under the age of 21. Undoubtedly, fans of television shows like The Bachelor and Survivor would enjoy this book immensely. Temptation Trials by B. Truly is a bit of both programs rolled into one smoldering reality show.

Temptation Trials Part I
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CTdeF's review? Post a comment saying so!
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Consecration to St. Joseph
Bookshelf Size: 633
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Never Scot-Free by JC Norton
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

I am curious as to why it was the women who joined the reality show. Of course, the men were necessarily part of it, but the women were the instigators. Did WWIII make the men docile or did they just not care for true love? Hmmm, interesting!

Thanks for going through the trials, CTdeF!
CTdeF
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctdef.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CTdeF »

I actually think in a future book in the series that the story will return to the men who were part of the underground resistance. There's got to be more to it than the ladies' stories.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”