Review by Barbiedole -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Barbiedole
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbiedole.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Review by Barbiedole -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Barbiedole »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday is a historical romance fiction that is set in modern - day Chicago, Illinois. Amanda Parker has experienced huge loses in her life, and she's trying to recover from them all. She takes a train ride, and as she steps out, she sees two mounted policemen. She admires them in their Chicago Police Department uniforms, and well - polished buckles and stirrups. Then, all of a sudden, there is an accident; as one of the policemen looses control of his mount. Amanda saves him, and they end up in each other's arms in the process. That's how she meets Officer Mark Callahan. The moment Mark sets his eyes on her face, he feels like he knows her from somewhere. But, where?

The plot of the novel revolves around struggles, love, mystery, history, reincarnation, and the déjà vu feeling. Mark and Amanda feel they've known each other from somewhere, but don't know where. Determined to find out where they know each other from, they embark on a journey that leads them to greater discoveries. Switching between viewpoints of Amanda and Mark, this historically - imbued tale follows them, as they struggle to find out how they know each other. Amanda comes from a past that is full of loss, and her heart is near a breaking point. Then, there's Mark; a policeman, arrogant and charismatic in personality, but extremely sweet, when he wants to be. It is his patience, and determination to win her heart, that keeps them together.

In their quest to find answers to their questions, Samyann takes the story back in time, to the 1800s. The author weaves the Chicago Fire of 1871, and the climate of the Civil War, into this novel. This helps to promote the events in the book, through the character of Bonnie. Bonnie is a young woman at the height of the Civil War. Bonnie, and her cousin, are saved by two freed slaves; Ben and Magdalene, after Bonnie's father dies. Though Bonnie endures the Chicago Fire, and experiences loss, her fate is closely tied to Amanda's.

The language of the book is very simple, but the ideas presented are really complex. The complexity of the ideas shows the author did a very thorough research, and did the events justice in conveying those historical details in precision. The time travel of the soul makes the story very intriguing. I did not find any editing errors, and I applaud the author for this. The characters are well - developed, and every emotion can be felt by the reader.

I rate the novel 4 out of 4 stars, because I enjoyed the book thoroughly, in addition to the fact that there were no editing errors. I recommend it to all the historical romance and time - travel - stories lovers because the book is a treat for believers of fate and everlasting love.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Barbiedole's review? Post a comment saying so!
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

What a coincidence for Amanda and mark! It feels so nice that the story is founded on that. I am already curious to know where they first met. Nice review.
Barbiedole

Post by Barbiedole »

Thanks a lot.
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

It's an amazing read. The connection between the past and the present. Nice review.
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

One reviewer, obviously impressed with the book, recommends that the readers read Yesterday today. This book has so many good reviews; I am anxious to know why.

Thanks for confirming the other good reviews, Barbiedole!
Barbiedole

Post by Barbiedole »

Thanks a lot too!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”