Review of Happy Endings

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zanne Crystle
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Deceitful Reflection by Jessica Tepper

Review of Happy Endings

Post by Zanne Crystle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Happy Endings" by Jana Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Happy Endings: Raw and Honest Stories from a Mom Searching for Excitement and Finding Fulfillment by Jana Smith delves into her journey of self-discovery post-divorce. The book candidly chronicles her experiences with online dating and her exploration of her sexuality while balancing her career and motherhood.

This book is a demonstration of Smith’s storytelling abilities. While some memoirs can be a bit dull, her writing draws you in, allowing you to live vicariously through her experiences. It’s almost like reading a romance or erotica novel, but with the added layer of relatability that comes from it being based on real life.

I appreciated her discussion of the social pressures that women face when trying to seek sexual fulfillment and understand their own needs. Many women, especially those from more conservative cultures or families, struggle with these issues.

In addition, she provided a detailed description of the online dating experience, from creating a profile to the excitement of finding someone with shared interests, as well as concerns about privacy and safety.

However, the numerous graphic accounts of sexual encounters partly overshadowed the book’s exploration of her experience balancing her professional life and motherhood with dating. I had anticipated more focus on personal growth in the book, but the majority of it recounted sexual escapades in increasingly unconventional situations. Honestly, I started getting bored with reading about one sexual escapade after another, but I still valued the insight into her journey and admired her courage in sharing it.

In the book, there were moments when I found myself questioning her moral character. I felt she sometimes came across as rude and entitled towards certain people. She seemed to disguise her behavior as either empowerment or vulnerability, which didn’t sit well with me. Additionally, I think she engaged in some dangerous and reckless activities. While I acknowledge that public sexual exploration may be of personal interest to some, it’s not something I support or feel comfortable reading about, especially in locations where minors could accidentally come across it.

Just to reiterate, this book contains a lot of sexually explicit content. If you’re uncomfortable with graphic material, this book might not be for you. While I appreciated her honesty, this book is extremely erotic.

There were a few grammatical errors in the book, and it could go through another round of editing, but it did not disrupt the reading experience too much.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars due to its engaging storytelling, unfiltered exploration of Smith’s experiences, discussion of social pressures, and elements of personal growth, particularly in understanding sexual needs and gaining confidence. I deducted one star because of the issues I have with Smith’s behavior in the book, as previously mentioned.

I recommend this book to women of all ages, regardless of their marital status, who are open to exploring online dating and their sexual desires.

Happy Endings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

I agree that it should focus more on self-growth rather than being overly erotic. I love the book cover and the well-detailed review.
Nwachukwu Somto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwachukwu-somto.html
Latest Review: Embrace the Challenge by Akwasi O Ofori

Post by Nwachukwu Somto »

Your insights give a clear picture of what to expect from this book. While it seems like an engaging and bold read, I appreciate your points about the balance between personal growth and graphic content.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Quando Dormo by Edward Izzi

Post by Julius Peters »

With its unfiltered honesty and exploration of societal expectations, 'Happy Endings' offers a unique perspective on modern womanhood and the pursuit of personal happiness.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber

Post by Gerry Steen »

I commend you for completing this book even though you were uncomfortable with it. You did an honest and fair review. This author feels that other women will benefit from reading her story about fulfilling her needs, as many women neglect to do. Great review as usual! :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”