Review by taraiva -- My Trip To Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
taraiva
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taraiva.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review by taraiva -- My Trip To Adele

Post by taraiva »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Trip to Adele by A.I. Alyaseer and R.I. Alyaseer is a fictional book with philosophical undertones. The story is told from three different angles with three different unrelated characters whose only connection is their Arabic roots and fanatic love for Adele's? music. It revolves around a big concert taking place in Italy -- Adele's first in five years.

Nadia is a single parent, divorced, living in Amman with her only son, battling the injustice and prejudices brought against get by society. She thought the concert would be a good present for her son, and intends for the two of them to attend it despite the disapproval and roadblocks from various angles -- her boss, her ex-husband and friends.

Elias embarks on a journey back home to Marrakesh, after an eight year absence abroad, to search for a girl he once loved but let go, after a revelation from a palm reader. He is convinced that someone used dark magic to keep them apart and is determined to get to the bottom of it. Adele's concert is a good sign as he and Malika found a connection through her music.

Sayer's marriage is on the rocks. He cannot stand his religiously devout wife and his resentment has also creeped into his faith?, the one thing that he initially admired most about her. He proposed to her through an Adele song and hopes that the concert can help revive the spark of their loveless union.

I enjoyed reading this book because of the way it looks at love and relationships from a different perspective, especially in different cultures?. In Sayer's case, he understands his obligation to his family and weighs it against his desires. I found Elias' situation amusing because of his superstitious nature and his beliefs that foul play was involved in his breakup with Malika. Moreover, the nature of their initial attraction and how they carried on with their odd relationship despite the challenges is interesting.

Nadia comes across as a non-conformist with high self esteem and a take-no-prisoners attitude, who will not get a raw deal from a bargain. All which proves to be particularly challenging because she lives in a severely partriarchial society where women are expected to be pliant and obedient, and simply accept the hands they are dealt. Her beliefs and attitude are challenging repeatedly and make her a target -- by her boss, who deems she lacks a good enough reason to take off work for the concert, and ever her friend despite being in an abusive relationship. The odds are stacked against her, being a strong-willed woman and at times seems desperate and infuriating.

Cultural differences are apparent in this book, and I was keen on the dispute resolution mechanisms: the justice systems in place in Amman that are not entirely unbiased and can provide justice in varying amounts depending on your background or gender. I was also awed by the general attitude regarding prostitution in Marrakesh, a changing social landscape that leads men to doing women's work and their superstitions. It honestly made me want to visit the place and see if these things are indeed true. Sayer's? family is in an interesting phenomenon: staunch Muslims living in America, and I'm rather disappointed that their position in society did not come across as vividly as is the case with the other two characters.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for the way it boldly handles contentious issues that people find uncomfortable or are otherwise regarded as taboo. I like the integration of Adele's lyrics and their appropriateness in the story, and would happily suggest it to any Adele fan.

My Trip To Adele
View: on Bookshelves

Like taraiva's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, taraiva! I am sure Adele's fans would love this story.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I am not sure I will be into a story written revolving around Adele concert. I mean I enjoy her music but I don't know if I am that big of a fan going to read some more reviews before I decide.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

With all the rave reviews revolving around this book, I think I really need to read it too. The stories therein sound captivating. Thanks for your review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”