Official Review: My Soul Belongs to You by C. L. Hunter

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: My Soul Belongs to You by C. L. Hunter

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Soul Belongs to You" by C. L. Hunter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Soul Belongs to You is a romance novel by C. L. Hunter. It is the second book in the Soul Mates series.

The novel begins with a recap of the previous book’s events. Kate, who lives in the United States, gave birth to a daughter when she was a teenager. Her friends and several highly skilled lawyers have been unable to track her daughter down. She met Deacon, who lives in Ireland, via a webcam interview in the first book, but after being kidnapped she finally had to push him away. Deacon, who was raised by nuns, is determined to find his biological parents. After being drugged at a pub, Deacon receives a threatening note to stay away from Kate. The mystery of Kate’s daughter, uncovering the truth of Deacon’s origins, and the person behind drugging Deacon are among the most prominent of the intertwining storylines that comprise this riveting narrative.

The book is about 240 pages long. The chapters usually alternate, with one being from Kate’s first person POV and the next from Deacon’s perspective. The first chapter was excellently executed, filling in readers new to the series, like myself, on all the important details from the first book. It also would serve as a useful reminder for those who may not have read the first book in a while. There are some elements of fantasy mixed with religion, including references to ghosts and fairies and characters who are angels. At one point, Deacon calls out to God for help and an angel named Calista arrives. There are some chapters that focus on such characters separate from the main narrative about Kate and Deacon. I thought such chapters would work better as a separate work of fiction because there seemed to be such a rich world that could be more thoroughly explored in a standalone fashion.

Nevertheless, the novel is well paced. I appreciated that though they start off on separate continents, the author brings Kate and Deacon together rather quickly, instead of being a drawn out ordeal. There are many sensual scenes. There are also several major plot twists, mostly related to obstacles from their past. I wondered if there were perhaps too many twists that were too conveniently connected. Regardless, they certainly made for a captivating read!

The reasons behind the emotional tension between Kate and Deacon is thoroughly explained, creating characters in whom readers can really feel invested. At the beginning, Kate was almost immediately relatable: “I didn’t know why I did this to myself, but I let the lyrics sink into my soul. In the silence, the words sliced through me.” Deacon’s harsh upbringing, and subsequent success despite the odds stacked against him, certainly make him likable and a character that you find yourself rooting for. Due to his past circumstances, we learn that: “He was constantly cold, even when the air was warm. He said there was a coldness inside him to this day that never left.” Both Kate and Deacon have experienced devastating tragedy, and the love they have for each other is one that we, as readers, want to be fully realized. In order for that to happen, they learn important lessons from those around them, such as “absorbing guilt on a daily basis will kill you.”

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There was never a dull moment, that’s for sure! I was torn between giving it 3 or 4 stars. Truly, it’s hard to be objective in this case. Like I said, I thought that the fantasy chapters (from the character Thomas’s POV) should be a standalone work of fiction, and at a certain point the twists and the connections between them overwhelmed my suspension of disbelief or were just a little too out there for me. But that’s just according to my taste, and even so, I still enjoyed just how imaginative all of it was. I would recommend this book to lovers of fantasy and romance who believe that love is complicated but totally worth it in the end.

My Soul Belongs to You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not much of a romance fan. It's nice how the author kind of combined genres, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AriyoJam
Currently Reading: Green Mansions
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by AriyoJam »

As said in here "love is complicated", I guess more than math huh?
Good job for the review.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

My first question would have been whether the book can be read on its own, without reading the previous one in the series, but your answered it right at the beginning, where you said the book gives a recap of what happened before. I love both romance and fantasy, so this books is right up my alley.
Eric77
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric77.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Eric77 »

Nice review. Your review really brings out the urge to find out how the story ends. Love the mixture of romance and near death intriguing quest for the truth. Good book
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

Deacon and Kate, its true that extreme conditions can bring people into a love relationship. The review is revealing though does not sound like I would enjoy the book too much. All the same, well done Tanaya.

-- 05 Sep 2017, 11:58 --

Deacon and Kate, its true that extreme conditions can bring people into a love relationship. The review is revealing though does not sound like I would enjoy the book too much. All the same, well done Tanaya.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I do like it when I feel invested in the characters. The fantasy elements do sound a bit "out there."
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

Why must love suffer so much. I would not want to be in Kate and Deacon's shoes. Well done Tanaya on a beautiful review.
jacklinedaniels
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jacklinedaniels »

love the way u have reviewed the book ,i love the book it is captivating and also talks of the way we feel sometimes in life though not in the same situation but the same feeling
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The story line is intense and thrilling. Nice review.
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

Am glad that the author did not leave readers to hang in the dry by briefly revisiting what happened in the last series. Great review!
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Bewa
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades Darker
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bewa.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Bewa »

Well that was a good review Tanaya, you made me understand the book better

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”