Official Review: Temptation Trials Part I by B. Truly

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lykavaldez05
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 15

Re: Official Review: Temptation Trials Part I by B. Truly

Post by lykavaldez05 »

Title: Temptation Trials
Series: Temptation Trials Part I
Author: B. Truly

At first glance, this is not the kind of book I’d usually choose to read because I have little fondness for reading about romance and lust and all that sort of thing and the description leaves no doubt that this book is all about that. On the other hand, I love dystopian and I’m always interested to see what concepts authors can come up with in this subgenre. Also, I admit it, I do like a fair amount of reality TV so why not give it a try?

The idea of a dictatorial government choosing who you can marry is odd but not unheard of—The Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie comes to mind and I loved that story so I had high hopes for Temptation Trials. Right away, I ran into a worldbuilding problem that I’ve seen all too many times before but it was more obvious here because it shows up in the first paragraph. The likelihood that the world would have an apocalyptic war and descend into a worldwide, highly organized dictatorship in a mere six years just doesn’t make sense to me. I realize the author wanted the main characters to remember the way things used to be but…

Then, when Cali and Stefani go to an illegal party, they naturally meet two hot guys, Cade and Tobias, who happen to be sort of heroic and the dreaded insta-love sets in. OK, so I can put up with that if the story is strong enough and, in this case, it begins to get interesting when the background and the qualifying requirements of the Temptation Trials begin to come out. I could see how such a show could appeal to a lot of viewers, especially those who opt to toe the government line and accept their assigned spouses but, when these two couples decide to try the Trials, they have no idea what they’re getting into.

Although I have only myself to blame, given the maturity warning, I was put off by a lot of sexual activity and talk but the overall story was interesting and I think it will appeal especially to readers who enjoy hot romance in a science fiction setting.
brenda1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda1992.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by brenda1992 »

It's a wonderful review. I have read the book and I agree with you on most of the points although I personally had no problem with the American English. Other than that its a good balance of fiction spiced with romance, gets you involved with the two main characters individually and keeps you edged to know what happens next.
OPgirl9122
Currently Reading: Growing Up Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by OPgirl9122 »

I like sir walter7's review, it was quite good summary and it made me want to read the book at this very moment. I am interested with how Cali and Stefani survived the Temptation trials. I would also want to find out what it feels to be ruled over by a dictator that interferes with your social life to the point they decide who you should marry. I bet the rescue mission is kick-ass. I love thrills. Nice review buddy. :tiphat:
Texas_Jazz2016
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7394">Into the Fire</a>
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-texas-jazz2016.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Texas_Jazz2016 »

Thank you for your review. The sample I read was interesting and I thought the WWIII story line was a good choice. Imagine living with all the rules and regulations and then having your life partner assigned to you. Seems like it will be a good read.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one. George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

Since romance is one of my favourite genres, I just may read the book. Not sure about the political angle though
Sincerely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sincerely.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sincerely »

Am usually very fascinated with romantic novels therefore am sure this is going to be a good read, other than great review!
Cpt-605
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Cpt-605 »

This book Is good can't wait to find out what happen to Cali and Cade, stefani and tobias!
Amy_Jackson
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Amy_Jackson »

Sounds interesting. Fighting for love is always an intriguing story but turns sorrowful when the aim is not achieved. Hope this one worked out well
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

Great review. This book will be a promising read for me.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
Joelle
Currently Reading: Embellished
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joelle.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Joelle »

I an never pass on romance novels especially those that are filled with drama and I swear this is....thanks for the great review.
nedimb86
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedimb86.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by nedimb86 »

Sounds like hunger games but instead of food you fight for love.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I would like to follow up on the story of Cali and Stefano as they pursue their love amidst the dystopian regime. Great review.
Maklin
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Maklin »

nice story love the story line.
teaching the young ones to fight on
what they believed on.
EMD88
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EMD88 »

I have read this book, and i was impressed the author was able to create a future world to set the story in. However, the characters didnt really grab my attention. One bold, one shy, both pretty and falling in love. This is written a lot, it would have been nice to have something unique since it was such a unique setting. I did enjoy the book though, it was a quick read for me and i am looking forward to reading part 2.
Maklin
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Maklin »

It was educating look forward to reading part 2

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”