Official Review: Destiny Revisited by Eleanor Tremayne

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Destiny Revisited by Eleanor Tremayne

Post by Belynda White »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Destiny Revisited" by Eleanor Tremayne.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Destiny Revisited by Eleanor Tremayne, is a historical romance fiction, published in 2017 by Scotoma Books Publishing. The book opens up in Boston, February 2001, when fifty-one-year-old Gabriella Girard Blair receives a phone call from Andrew Young; the Lawyer of her now-late first love, Jake Chavelier. He calls to inform her of Jake's death and to tell her that Jake wants her to be at his funeral. It's been thirty fours years since they last spoke. It is one of his last wishes. She does grant this wish and is handed a box, by Jake's wife, labeled "The Death Box", in fulfilment of another of Jake's last wishes. Then the story takes us back to 1963 at Gabby's hometown; Savannah, Georgia. She is a fourteen-year-old High School freshman and a drill team member while Jake is a seventeen-year-old football quarterback. Then the novel recounts events yearly, tracing its way from the past, back to the 2001 and further into the future, to 2010.

The 1960s were the times of the Militant Black Revolutionaries and Dr. Martin Luther King. Jake is supposed to go on a football scholarship to Alabama, but he gets influenced by The Reserved Officers Training Corps (ROTC) that came to campaign in his school and he joins the Marine Corp instead. This he does without informing Gabby, only to inform her after enrolling. That is the moment when everything about their lives, hopes and dreams changes completely. There are the silent wishes, the challenges, the obstacles, the reenlistments, the long distance, the letters, the zeal to succeed, the heartaches, the heartbreaks, the pain, the hopes, the adventures... Even my heart ached.

The novel is in the first person perspective, although every character is given a chance to express themselves. Every Chapter is directed to a particular character, who makes the audience understand their inner thoughts and struggles, and still in the first person point of view. Every line of this novel was worth reading. Every sentence made my heart pound with pleasure and pain. I was so eager to know what happened next. Everything felt perfect; their opposite backgrounds, their first meet, the immediate spark, the deserted barn, the Tybee Island, the fulfilment of decades-long promises...; everything felt perfect. I must admit that I was greatly impressed with the author's style and writing technique. And those additions of extracts from poems of poets like T.S. Eliot, Ralph Waldo Emerson and John Keats, here and there, were simply strawberries on sweet cakes.

The novel seemed to be submitted in a manuscript form and that was really challenging for me because it squeezed in two pages of the manuscript into an actual readable page, thereby compressing the submitted file. This was challenging for me, mainly because, due to the compression, my text-to-speech option could not work at all. This made my reading process longer than usual. The language of the novel is very simple and very few grammatical errors were detected. On page 26, "Liberian" was written instead of "Librarian" and on the same page, "knew" was written instead of "know".

I totally enjoyed the book and besides the few grammatical errors, the storyline is absolutely perfect and for this, I'd rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars, because it was worth reading. It has a good plot with realistic and well developed characters that we can all relate to and the novel is definitely not fit to be demoted to 3 stars. If you are a lover of Dr. Martin Luther King and the revolutionaries, you'll definitely love this one. And also, if you're a lover of adventure and love, do grab yourself a copy.

Destiny Revisited
View: on Bookshelves

Like Belynda White's review? Post a comment saying so!

Editor's Note: The review copy submitted was a PDF manuscript for printers. The live version of the ebook on sales sites such as Kindle most likely does not have the formatting issues.
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love reading historical fiction and the fact that Dr. Martin Luther King is in it makes it seem like a book that is well worth read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

A love that was remembered till death. Oh! What awesomeness. A review well done of a lovely book indeed.

-- 02 Sep 2017, 09:50 --

A love that was remembered till death. Oh! What awesomeness. A review well done of a lovely book indeed.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

The historical and the romantic! Eleanor Tremayne's Destiny Revisited covers both. Gabriella Girard Blair's first love, Jake Chavelier, desired that she attend his funeral 34 years after they went their separate ways. This is out of the ordinary. I enjoyed this review.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>

Post by Belynda White »

KlareAllison wrote:The historical and the romantic! Eleanor Tremayne's Destiny Revisited covers both. Gabriella Girard Blair's first love, Jake Chavelier, desired that she attend his funeral 34 years after they went their separate ways. This is out of the ordinary. I enjoyed this review.
Thank you so much. I enjoyed the book too. The author is definitely gifted.

-- 02 Sep 2017, 16:32 --
Amagine wrote:I love reading historical fiction and the fact that Dr. Martin Luther King is in it makes it seem like a book that is well worth read.

Great Review! ?
Most definitely! Thanks.

-- 02 Sep 2017, 16:33 --
LINA M-EMBER AMA wrote:A love that was remembered till death. Oh! What awesomeness. A review well done of a lovely book indeed.

-- 02 Sep 2017, 09:50 --

Thanks a lot. It was a beautiful read.
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry about the formatting issues. That sucks. I'm glad that you liked this one. It sounds unique.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Belynda White

Post by Belynda White »

kandscreeley wrote:I'm sorry about the formatting issues. That sucks. I'm glad that you liked this one. It sounds unique.
Thanks a lot. I did enjoy the book but the formatting issues almost discouraged me. I'm glad I pulled through. It was worth it.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I was intrigued by the book's premise, but I agree how formatting and editing mistakes can ruin everything. Spelling mistakes could've easily been removed by using any spell checker so I'm not sure why authors don't use it. Thanks for the informative review, it's sounds like a good story apart from those drawbacks.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Belynda White

Post by Belynda White »

IsabelMay wrote:I was intrigued by the book's premise, but I agree how formatting and editing mistakes can ruin everything. Spelling mistakes could've easily been removed by using any spell checker so I'm not sure why authors don't use it. Thanks for the informative review, it's sounds like a good story apart from those drawbacks.
You're absolutely correct. Formatting and editing mistakes can really ruin everything. But the story line kept me going and I'm totally glad I did pull through.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I am too heartbroken by bittersweet endings to read this! But seriously, great review, I'm really feeling the emotions. maybe I'll move it to bottom of my bookshelf and hope when I get to it I'll be better ;)
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Belynda White

Post by Belynda White »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:I am too heartbroken by bittersweet endings to read this! But seriously, great review, I'm really feeling the emotions. maybe I'll move it to bottom of my bookshelf and hope when I get to it I'll be better ;)
This is hilarious. Hahaha... But believe me, it's worth it. :D
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Belynda White wrote:
geoffrey ngoima wrote:I am too heartbroken by bittersweet endings to read this! But seriously, great review, I'm really feeling the emotions. maybe I'll move it to bottom of my bookshelf and hope when I get to it I'll be better ;)
Okay, I'll take your word for it
Do drop by my review when u find the time pls
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Belynda White

Post by Belynda White »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:
Belynda White wrote:
Okay, I'll take your word for it
Do drop by my review when u find the time pls

Sure. :D
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

Thank you for the review. This seems like an interesting book.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I can't stand romance novels, we are very different. Nice review though.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”