Review by Uwazie Emmanuel -- My Trip To Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Uwazie Emmanuel
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwazie-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review by Uwazie Emmanuel -- My Trip To Adele

Post by Uwazie Emmanuel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Music is considered by many as a universal language. This is not only because the human soul longs for organized sounds and lyrics, but most often than not, music lends words the life ordeal of mankind, irrespective of age, religion and location. Adele's music is one of such, as it not only appeals to audiences across board, but also tells their own life stories. This has been creatively demonstrated in R. I. Alyaseer and A. I. Alyaseer's My Journey to Adele, as Adele's music becomes a rallying point for dreams, love and marriages which have either failed or are failing.

Set in Marrakesh, Amman and Las Vegas, My Journey to Adele tells the story of couples and intending couples in search for love, freedom and liberation, as well as the quest to revitalize a 'dead' marriage. Elias, an Italy-based Moroccan, led to believe that his separation from his former lover is a product of a spell cast by a jealous admirer, journeys back home in search of the true love he once experienced. Meanwhile, in faraway Amman, Jordan, Nadia, a single mother, after successfully securing a divorce from her brutish husband continues to explore the possibilities freedom offers. In a similar situation, Yaser and Mariam, a middle class family of surgeons, are in desperate search for a solution to their marriage which has grown cold in spite of the hustle and bustle of Las Vegas.

My journey to Adele is a story of growth and all the expectations that come with it. A pessimistic contemplation on love and marriage. The characters in the work hope to find love and fulfilment, and believe in the possibility of finding this in marriage - or elopement, as in the case of Malika. All of these hopes fade as reality dawns on them all. The bliss of marriage ends up a mere fantasy shortly after the knots are tied. While Malika is desperate to leave El-fnaa Square and its hopelessness for greener pastures elsewhere, Nadia as well fights to liberate herself from any form of suppression - even in the guise of marriage. Though Yaser shares similar sentiments, he is soon to discover that the pastures may not indeed be greener elsewhere, and redemption could be attained by looking inwards instead.

R. I. Alyaseer and A. I. Alyaseer's My Journey to Adele is quite innovative, not just because it employs music to buttress it themes, but the work is built around the music of Adele. Its lyrics are creatively used in exploring the inner struggles of the common man. Adele's concert in Verona also becomes a symbol of hope, restoration and reunion, and also serves as a source of intrigue and suspense which helps to sustain the reader’s interest to the very end of the work. The Alyaseers also highlight the significance of numbers in the work. The work culminates in the live performance of Adele's Album 25 in a novel of 25 chapters. Meanwhile the characters have all been in their present condition for eight years.

I find R. I. Alyaseer and A. I. Alyaseer's My Journey to Adele quite interesting as its themes cut across age and race, and would make a good read for both the young and old. It is a contemporary work and uses everyday language and commonplace events which the average reader can easily relate with. The setting also could give universal appeal. For this, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars, and not 3 stars because it meets all the criteria of a good book, and recommend it for both the young and the old.

My Trip To Adele
View: on Bookshelves

Like Uwazie Emmanuel's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 154
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Wedding Girl
Bookshelf Size: 620
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Grant Justice by Robert Gregory Fegers
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

What an incisive review, Uwazie Emmanuel! This is one book I'll always remember.

Mercy Bolo
2019 Reading Goal: 144
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercy Bolo »

Lovely review. This has been on my to read list for a while now. Guess it's time I picked it up.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

I'm inclined to read this book. Thank you for this review. :D
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”