Official Review: The Sunrise Chasers by Greta Sloan

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Sunrise Chasers by Greta Sloan

Post by shish_by_design »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sunrise Chasers" by Greta Sloan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sunrise Chasers by Greta Sloan is an unlikely romantic story about love and second chances . Its also the first book written by this author.

As the book opens, Natalie Sullivan's life is falling apart. Her longtime boyfriend, Luke, has just died in a tragic car accident and during his funeral, she finds out that he cheated on her. Unable to deal with everything that is happening, she takes off on an epic road trip that she had planned in honour of Luke's memory, visiting all the places he had talked of going to.

Her best friends, Ian and Paige, tag along with her together with Luke's estranged brother, Rhys. Rhys is Luke's younger brother and the black sheep in his family, where Luke had been the golden boy. He is struggling with issues stemming from a dark past, which includes a troubled childhood. Travelling together, Rhys and Natalie spend a lot of time with each other. They learn the different sides of one another as they grieve together, hence the inevitable connection that develops between them.

This book's captivating cover was what caught my eye first. It was intriguing and sort of mysterious. The blurb piqued my interest further, hence my resolve to read it. It started out strong and dramatic and I was hooked, but then about ten percent into it, I suddenly got annoyed with most of the characters, especially Natalie. She came off as Immature, snobbish, selfish and shallow. I had a hard time relating to or even liking her. For a main character, I though she had a weak personality and was easily influenced by her peers.

I deeply felt for Rhys though. I thought I could relate to him. He was kind, compassionate and thoughtful albeit snarky at times, though that was used as a cover for how he really felt. Rhys was the main reason I got to finish this book. I wanted to see how the story ended for him and the author did not disappoint.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The plot was engaging and had a lot of potential, however, I felt that it was lacking in the execution. The chemistry between Natalie and Rhys was seriously lacking. I also had a hard time relating to most of the characters with the exception of Rhys.

I would recommend Greta Sloan's The Sunrise Chasers to readers above the age of 17, (as there are no smutty or distasteful scenes) and anyone who fancies a second chance romance. However, this is not a book for persons who do not like romance books.

The Sunrise Chasers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like shish_by_design's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I can see why you would find it hard to relate to Natalie. I would too. :)

Thank you for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds interesting, but it's not for me (even if it had scored higher.) Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:I can see why you would find it hard to relate to Natalie. I would too. :)

Thank you for the review.
I know, right! you're welcome

-- 17 Aug 2017, 11:56 --
kandscreeley wrote:This sounds interesting, but it's not for me (even if it had scored higher.) Thanks for the review.
Thanks for reading it and you're welcome. :D
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Thanks for the review. I know what its like to 'meet' absolutely annoying and unrelatable characters.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! Too bad that you did not like the characters very much. I do like romance novels but I think I will skip this one.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

The title and the the cover sound amazing. Too bad the book doesn't live up to it.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
shish_by_design
Currently Reading:

[quote="Anirudh Badri"]The title and the the cover sound amazing. Too bad the book doesn't live up to it.[/quote

You got that right. So true.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Relating to the characters are essential for a "good" read.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds really promising and though Natalie is not a very likable protagonist, as per you description, I think Rhys is a very interesting character. Good job on the review.
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

This books seems like it was all rollercoaster of emotions at first, but as the story went on, the writer was not able to sustain the interest of the reader. That's really dissapointing. I just hope you didn't have such a hard time finishing the book.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”