Official Review: The Year I Learned to Text

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Official Review: The Year I Learned to Text

Post by dhomespot »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Year I Learned to Text" by Juliet Montague.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am really glad that I went into this book with an open mind. I, of course, was expecting a comedy based on the title of the book. The title made me think of when my mom learned to text. So when I saw that this book was called The Year I learned to Text, I knew I had to read it. Juliet Montague uses self-depreciating humor throughout the book that will keep a smile on your face. You will also learn a little bit about a religion that may differ from yours.

Julie is a sixty year young lady that has discovered the world of internet dating. She is tired of dating men her age that either suffer from impotency or have to use a penis pump (there is a very funny story in the book about this). She is very surprised when she acquires a very persistent response on Match.com. Thus begins her journey in learning about a new religion.

Ali is a unique guy that has what we would call quirks. These “quirks”, however, are part of his religion. He is never on time and uses his religion to be able to have sex outside of marriage. Did I mention he is thirty-eight? He sees something in Julie that keeps him coming back for more. Their relationship is more physical than loving, on his side at least.

Now, while reading this book, you may think Julie is a post-menopausal lady that may need an adjustment to her hormones. In all actuality, she is a woman that has now developed an obsession with the man she is dating. We all remember that time as teenagers when the person we were in lust with at the time did not call right back. Julie reminds me of that times ten.

Juliet does a great job in showing that in order to understand someone of a deep faith, we must learn about that faith. Just because her boyfriend is a Muslim, to me that is no different than learning the religion of someone that is Catholic. She just chooses to portray it in a humorous way. I would like to feel like I learned a little bit along the way. All in all, this is a book of making a relationship work despite all of the obstacles that may be standing in the way.

I have to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were very few mistakes in the book, however, the dreamscapes/fantasies that Julie has are not separated from the running storyline. Her inner thoughts are also thrown right into the middle of the conversation. This makes the story hard to follow and makes you think that you have missed something. Overall, it was a very enjoyable book and I am hoping that I will be able to put the next installment on my reading list.

The Year I Learned to Text
View: on Bookshelves

Like dhomespot's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Aarush Kumar
Currently Reading: Disastrously Fabulous
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarush-kumar.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Aarush Kumar »

Great review... I might read this one... I guess I'll add it to my To-Read list for now...
henna sonum rajpoot
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henna-sonum-rajpoot.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by henna sonum rajpoot »

This books sounds quite interesting as it describes a tale an old woman, in her sixties, sets out to romance through virtual dating platform and successfully finds one she feels physically compatible with. It intermixes all the beautiful elements of lust,love and faith in a unique combination which is delightful to read.However,some of the aspects regarding religious mention in particular,that the writer indulges into,are to some extent quite disturbing.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one definitely does sound like it is full of humorous moments. It's not for me, though. Thanks for the review. It was good.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Emmio
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmio »

Sweetest tale I've ever read,I enjoyed it
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This is definitely a new approach to the concept of an older woman dating a younger man. It sounds light enough to be a great beach read.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting, enjoyable and fun read. I think throwing in differences in religion to strengthen the plot is a nice technique. Too bad, though, about the confusing parts. Good job on the review.
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

From your review, I think this is a hillarious book. A wide age difference, and the old woman willing to learn another religion! I should definitely add this to my reading list.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

It does sound like a funny book. Thank you for sharing!
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Nenye progress
Currently Reading: Curve Coutour
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-progress.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Nenye progress »

Learning a new religion to make a relationship work is actually romantic. though I don't see myself doing that. In all, I think its a great book.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Ankamah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ankamah »

That is a strong relationship and pure love so keep it up because sometimes before you get what you want you have to spend more time since you want it to be quality.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”