Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Romance and Erotic Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: King of Swords by Anna Durbin

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.

Official Review: King of Swords by Anna Durbin

Post Number:#1 by ananya92
» 31 Jul 2017, 22:40

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "King of Swords" by Anna Durbin.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by ananya92
Share This Review

Kings of Swords by Anna Durbin is a book in the romantic fiction genre. It is the first book in the King of the Tarot series. Honestly, the cover of this book didn’t impress me, but as I hadn’t read a love story in a long while, I picked up this one. Fortunately, the book turned out to be good.

Lady Cassandra Gardner has successfully avoided matrimony for more than a decade. In a couple of months she’ll have complete control over her dowry, and she has already made plans to use it for a noble cause. However, her brother, Duke of Benthower, wants her dowry by hook or by crook, and devises a sordid scheme to ruin her reputation. Lord William Poniard doesn’t want to have anything to do with this brother-sister duo. Fortunately for William, circumstances provide an opportunity for him to get even with the duke. Unfortunately for Cassandra, the only way to avoid her brother’s machinations is to elope with William, and pretend to be married to him. However, their plan goes awry and both get married for real. Will these two find a way out of the situation or are they stuck together for good?

The storyline is pretty straightforward; therefore, a lot of emphasis is on the characters and their emotions. The female protagonist, Cassandra, is an interesting mix of vulnerability, determination and noble intentions. The male protagonist, William, on the other hand is slightly difficult to like. He is shallow, and doesn’t seem to be worried by proprieties, for example, he doesn’t shy away from dallying with a married woman, though he’s motivated by love (or so he convinces himself at that time). Added to that, there is also this streak of disregard for Cassandra’s independence, especially how he reminds her that now her dowry belongs to him. Eventually though, he does undergo a change, and becomes likable in the second half of the book.

Coming to the writing style, it is akin to other novels in the Regency romance sub-genre. The story is narrated in third person. I liked how the author expressed Cassandra’s feelings of rejection, humiliation, heartbreak, pride, etc., because they endear her to the readers. There is a lot more depth in explaining Cassandra’s perspective as opposed to William’s, though portions expressing William’s confusion about his feelings is well done.

I was little disappointed with how the depiction of that period was handled, because some of the scandalous episodes were brushed under the rug, which seems a little unlikely for the early nineteenth century. Also, the plot line is somewhat predictable, which could have been avoided. However, since I largely enjoyed this book, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy simple love stories, with some passionate moments, should give this one a try.

King of Swords
View: on Bookshelves

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
ananya92's Latest Review: "Sky Horse" by Kate Andrus
ananya92

Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: King of Swords by Anna Durbin

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 06 Aug 2017, 14:33

I also hate a predictable plot. It sounds like this one is interesting despite its predictably.

Great Review! 💖
Secret To Writing A Bestseller

You write.
You stop dreaming of writing.
You stop talking about writing.
Stop wishing you were writing.
And you write.
Amagine's Latest Review: "Tales From A Nobody" by G.C. Cook
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 687 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 06 Aug 2017, 14:36

I'm not very much into romance but I do like royalty. Great review. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 88 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 71%

Post Number:#4 by ananya92
» 07 Aug 2017, 07:36

Thanks, both of you! :)
ananya92's Latest Review: "Sky Horse" by Kate Andrus
ananya92

Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by xalmohjay
» 07 Aug 2017, 12:06

You sure took your time and sincerely speaking,you nailed it,I feel like I should read this book.nice review❤
xalmohjay

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#6 by jemgirl202
» 07 Aug 2017, 12:56

Sounds like a nice romantic read. Great Review!
jemgirl202's Latest Review: "The Dunston Blade" by John Nelson Daines
jemgirl202

Currently Reading: Here and Gone
Bookshelf Size: 23 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#7 by bookiegalke
» 11 Aug 2017, 13:01

a good romance book never disappoints and this one sounds equally enjoyable to me. Thanks for the good review
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookiegalke

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 10%