Book Review: Fat Girl Begone! by D.E. Haggerty

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Book Review: Fat Girl Begone! by D.E. Haggerty

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Everly, the heroine of Fat Girl Begone! is the most relatable heroine I’ve read in ages. She yo-yo diets and she totally does not have her s*** together. She’s smart and hard-working, though, and she deserves so much better than the a-hole who dumps her at the beginning of the book for dieting too much - not for being fat, but basically for inconveniencing him with her lifestyle.

Let’s face it, we’ve all had one of those days when drowning in a bottle of tequila sounds like a fantastic idea. Everly has quite a few of those days in this book, and the hilarious part about it is what she gets up to when she’s drunk… because Evie is a blackout drunk and has to rely on friends to tell her what’s happened the day after.

Fat Girl Begone! is chicklit in the fine tradition of Bridget Jones; most of Evie’s issues are of her own making and inside her own head. While she only loses a few pounds over the course of the book (five and a half) she does make some massive changes in her life and her self-confidence skyrockets as a result.

It’s a funny thing that self-confidence can make a woman incredibly attractive even if nothing else about her has changed, and Evie soon discovers this as from being dumped at the beginning of the book, she soon has men practically throwing themselves at her. I won’t spoil the book for you by telling you who she ends up with, but I will say that the hero was so fantastically adorable I wrote a note in my reviewing document saying “If Evie doesn’t end up with _____ I am going to KILL EVERYONE”.

This is a gorgeous book with a funny, relatable heroine. Even though Evie isn’t obese, in her own head she is, and therefore any woman with a self-esteem OR a weight issue can absolutely relate to her. There is no fat-shaming in this book, only celebration of women being who they are and becoming the best they can be, and I absolutely loved it. Five stars, and I’ll be looking out for more of this author in the future.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for review through ReadingAlley.
Fullsunmoon
Currently Reading: China Rich Girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fullsunmoon.html
Latest Review: "Song of the Robin" by R.V.Biggs

Post by Fullsunmoon »

Oh this sounds like a great read! Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Song of the Robin" by R.V.Biggs
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Great review! This sounds like a book I would totally enjoy!
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

Great review. Evie sounds like a relatable character ,from the tone of the review I can tell it's going to be full of humour. It just got on must read list. :tiphat:
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I love the review. I'm already in love with the main character even before reading the book. It's always refreshing to see a heroine take the lead character. Thanks for the great review

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”